03 WRX vs 03 GTI VR6

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs 03 GTI VR6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was talking to a friend of mine last night, he just got a 03 GTI and he was ...

03 WRX vs 03 GTI VR6

So I was talking to a friend of mine last night, he just got a 03 GTI and he was very confident that it could blow my WRX away.
    I got curious today though... and after looking at the stats I think he might have been a bit off on his numbers.

He was saying he was producing 230hp and that his car weighed significantly less then mine. Looking at the numbers though it seems like the VR6 only made about 200hp and weighs around 3000lbs... compared to 227hp and 3100lbs for the WRX.

Am I missing something or is he just wrong?

(both cars are stock, by the way, and he doesn't have the R32 version with more power and AWD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a driver's race. He might have a small edge in weight, but you have a little bit more power. It's not a direct comparison in what is at the wheels for each car though. You have more bhp but you also have more drivetrain loss.

Again, it's who can get the better reaction time and drive correctly.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

vr6's have impressive response and low end torque for their size and specs so i wouldnt be surprised if he got a jump on you at the start... however your higher redline (less shifting?) and better top end may very well help you catch up

unless you launch it, then you should smoke him

doing a search seems like in the 1/4 mile stock vr6's usually get mid 15's whereas stock wrx's can get mid 14's
    0-60 is a bit less than a second slower for the vr6

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed