10 WRX vs 08 Mazdaspeed 3 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 10 WRX vs 08 Mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by anxiouz Nice writeup. I've heard nothing but good things about the MS3 (minus torque-steer). I really like ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Nice writeup. I've heard nothing but good things about the MS3 (minus torque-steer). I really like them but can't get over the FWD. I just can't. But they do catch my eye on the road.
    +1
    nice cars but FWD ruins it for me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there timing chain streches its a recall and the motor mount on the top passenger side pops since its liquid filled. it felt totally different when i drove the ms3. those cars never feel reliable to me since they are made by ford

Quote Originally Posted by <silver>sti View Post

oh i bought my sti for $17,500 80,000 miles ms3 $19,000 30,000 miles
    Bummer. I just traded in my modded 06 STi with 60k on it for 17k. 326whp/385wtq ( i wish I didnt at this point. My 2012 STi is for lack of a better word......slow)
    "Hey Derik, do you know whats good for shoulder pain?"

Wow, very interesting. I too had a 2008 MS3. Unfortunately we lost it tragically fall of 2010. So we waited and ordered our new2012 Subaru WRX and took delivery late Feb. Both cars are hatches, daily drivers, and I'm getting better fuel economy with the WRX. Also, I'm having a lot more fun in Solo...much less under steer! Flatter in the corners and much more precise in the slaloms...all in all a much better ride all around and all wheel drive to boot!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I like our MS3, but it's an entirely different car from my bugeye.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

That was a really nice write-up. I felt that that the MS3 aspects is very accurate too.
    I really enjoy my MS3 as well, however I did not think the torque steer was that bad.
    However, the things that annoyed you, annoys me as well.

The MS3 does feel sluggish in hot humid weather, and unfortunately for me - I live in Texas.
    However, I must admit if the 2009 WRX looked like the 2012 WRX Sedan when I was cross-shopping the two, I would definitely have given it a more in-depth look. I think the WRX sedan looks amazing.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    My tuner drives an MS3.

Banned
    Torque steer is fun, guys just hit the gym if it's so frustrating to you....

It's hell of a lot more fun then the back end braking loose and not catching! FWD manual also has the lowest parasthetic drivetrain loss of any platform.
    Last edited by AV6-6; 01-15-2013 at 02:39 AM.

I can tell you i just Traded my new Focus ST in for my new WRX! ST was a good car very refined and awsome gear box but i hated the tourqe steer and the way it handles in the snow! Even on the highway in narrow lanes i would always have to drive like i was afraid the car would jerk sideways in traffic like driving on a highway like 476 where the lanes are super tight and traffic all around you. As soon as i made the trade and headed home with my WRX it was like a breath of fresh air ahhhh can finally hold the steering wheel again with one hand or at least alot less tight..LOL The rex felt way way way more grounded! I thought about trading the ST in for a MS3 because they where on sale but i would have wound up with the same monster a FWD tourque steer beast! Im so glad i stuck it out and got my new WRX and im even more glad that i did when there is snow on the ground!!! I think if FORD and Mazda would make those 2 cars AWD they would be awsome but till then they are not for me!

I Support ClubWRX
    It's hell of a lot more fun then the back end braking loose and not catching! FWD manual also has the lowest parasthetic drivetrain loss of any platform.
    Assume you meant parasitic. Yep, it's an efficient/cost effective design, for sure, hence its use in so many econoboxes, family sedans, etc. Also superior in inclement weather to RWD, in my experience.

I can't agree with much more, unfortunately. The dislike for torque steer comes not from people being weak, but from a dislike for how it feels and the inherent dynamics involved. I didn't really get it 'til I owned a Nissan Maxima, back in the '90's. The plow effect that happened when I'd gun it and lose traction, or in a corner when pushing things, just isn't for me. In my experience, oversteering RWD is much easier to control, and is genuinely fun. Want to let it push out a bit? Give it some gas. Want to pull it back in line? Let up a bit. Easy peasy.

There's a reason why even Honda, icon of FWD cars, went to RWD for the S2000 sportscar.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AV6-6 View Post
    You clearly do not understand the underlying physics behind torque steer.

Quote Originally Posted by AV6-6 View Post
    I disagree. A RMR platform also incorporates a transaxle and, due to the general rule that rear brake rotors are smaller than fronts, should have less rotational mass i.e. less parasitic loss.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Another major thing to note would be the depreciation of each car. I dont know how much the MS3 depreciates but the depreciation on the WRX blows my mind. Actually, this is one of the major factors making me go after a WRX.

Im leasing a G37x now for a RIDICULOUS monthly payment. Love the car - it's fast, comfy, feels good on the highway and it moves...but it's automatic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.