10 WRX vs 08 Mazdaspeed 3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 10 WRX vs 08 Mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DTR rex Both great cars. I have to admit, I REALLY like the MS3, a lot. I ...

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post

Both great cars. I have to admit, I REALLY like the MS3, a lot. I think it looks better, handles better, nicer interior, and more responsive clutch/tranny.
    I just cannot get over the FWD.
    I just can't get over the big, Joker smiley face on the ms3. It frightens me just looking at it lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gimli View Post
    Background:

I owned a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 for 2 years. I traded it in last December for a 2010 WRX. My local dealer sells both Subies and Mazdas, and cut me a decent deal for a swap. I also had a tax incentive, and low miles (9K miles in 2 years) helped the trade. But my main motivation for the swap was the weather here in Iowa which made AWD more attractive to me. I loved my MS3 but hated how it drove in the snow and rain. Following is a comparison between the two based on my 2 years driving experience with the Mazda and 1 year with the WRX. I make this as unbiased and objectively as possible. No fanboyism .

Features/Amenities:

Here I recognize I made a compromise when I switched to the WRX. The Mazda had a superior stereo, 6-speed, HVAC system, better seats, and even more room in the back seats. You get more features for the money with the Mazda. I did end up replacing my WRX's stock stereo for an aftermarket one.

Fit/Finish:

Neither car is a benchmark here. The Mazda developed a good share of rattles, and my WRX is starting a few. The Mazda's suspension, however, even brand new, sounded hideously during super cold (<10 F) temperatures. Thankfully the Subie doesn't.

Performance:

Now for the good part! Regardless of the Subaru's 2 hp lead (12 with the SPT exhaust), and about 1 second advantage in 0-60 magazine tests, the Mazda felt definitely more powerful to the "butt dyno". It pulled stronger and was more responsive. Of course, the Mazda had traction issues, which the WRX does not. Upgrading my WRX to stage 1 made it feel more or less as fast as my Mazda was on the roll.

The Mazda's power delivery seemed more "right now", whereas the Subaru's is smoother all around. I didn't notice turbo lag at all with the Mazda, and I do now with the WRX. However, the WRX keeps pulling harder at higher RPM's. I guess the Mazda's has a smaller turbo?

To my disappointment, launching the WRX was not at all easier than the Mazda, except on bad weather. Whereas skill was required to moderate wheelspin on the Mazda, skill is also required to avoid bogging down the WRX or frying something. And I feel that getting the WRX to do its fastest 0-60 times would affect the life of my transmission/clutch, whereas in the Mazda it would be less costly (just the life of the front tires).

The WRX's suspension feels significantly softer than the Mazda's. This is not a bad thing for me, as this is my daily driver. The WRX suspension seems perfectly tuned for sporty road driving, whereas the Mazda's is rough. However, on autocross events, the WRX dives and rolls a lot more, whereas the Mazda is more solidly planted.

Steering on the Mazda was superb. Almost BMW-like. Very responsive, although a little nervous at high speeds. The WRX is number and lighter. However, that doesn't mean that the WRX steering is worse. If there is anything bad about the MS3 is its wicked torque-steer. Torque steer not only happened at 1st gear; it showed its ugly face sometimes at 2nd or even 3rd gear. And while most of the time it was just a nuisance, sometimes it put me in dangerous situations, like once I torque steered in to the wrong lane on a left turn :/. That is certainly something I won't miss in my WRX!

The Mazda came equipped with bigger brakes for those bigger 18" wheels. Honestly, I haven't tested the brakes to the point where I can give a meaningful opinion. The Mazda's brakes produced a lot more brake dust, so I had to clean the wheels a lot more.

Trannies are different. The Mazda has a six speed, and the WRX a 5-speed. Because of the broader power delivery in the WRX, I can live with the 5 speed. The only compromise is that 80 mph cruises are buzzier on the WRX. Shifters behave differently also. The Mazda's is weighted and has a notchy "snick-snick" feel to it. The WRX's is more rubbery and with a more conventional feel. While the Mazda's feels so nice in the beginning, it is hard to shift fast. I find it easier to shift gears quickly with the WRX's. Clutch engagement on the Mazda feels more precise and has a hard to describe "geared" feeling that is very nice. The WRX, even after a year of driving, remains easy to bog down and sometimes even stall.

Exhaust/sound: My WRX came with the SPT exhaust from the factory. Even though, it is only slightly noisier than the MS3's stock exhaust. So I believe that the MS3 is a lot noisier than a stock WRX. Although the MS3 sound is boomy/sporty, it screams 4-banger. It is nothing like the intoxicatingly beautiful Subaru boxer sound. Subaru clearly wins here.

Gas mileage: I got slightly better gas mileage with the MS3 around my mostly suburban commute: 21 mpg vs. 20 for the WRX (19 @ Stage I). Both are premium-only cars.

Other considerations:

There is a huge modding community associated with the WRX. Not so much with the Mazda. That was something that became appealing to me. Tuning of the direct-injected Mazda engine gave little gains, and forums were littered with issues like blown engines and falling motors. With my WRX, I am stage 1 and feel pretty safe, and will go for stage 2 next year.

Finally, I can tell you from experience I am getting more attention on the road (both positive and negative) with the WRX than I did with the Mazda. This is strange, given the Mazda was red and the WRX is blue?

In conclusion, I can see why the 08 MS3 beat the 09 WRX in a magazine comparo, but still the WRX is the best car for me and I am happy with my swap.
    You know thats funny i just dumped my 09Mazdaspeed 3 for a 2010 wrx hb for the same reasons. I hated the complicated tuning on that car, i had it fully bolted at 300whp and the pcv smoking bs which was a piss off. I disagree about the aftermarket support though, there is more and more coming but basically that engine is ford and volvo and mazda amalagamation lol. I love having heated cloth seats back in the wrx none in the speed. Stereo better in the mazda for sure, I changed shifter bushings and shifter, much better. The body roll was less in the mazda but now i addressed that and went to perrin bars and links, made a HUGE difference. The biggest problem was too much power for fwd and in Canada with a decent amount of snow and even with winter tires it still kinda sucked, the awd should be much better. Back to the tuning and modding though, I did stage 1 on the rex and it feels kinda between stage 1 and 2 of the mazda. Bang for the buck i would have to spend way less to get 300whp out of the subie. I still actually frequent mazdaspeedforum.org and one of their members posted this post on their website lol which made me laugh, i don't care how much you butter up the fwd and torquesteer...if you can't put it to the ground then what good is it! even if the subie bogs the acceleration is still superior. As far as good aftermarket support Cpe and cobb have great parts for Mazda's but Subaru takes it because of how long these cars have been out and the popularity. I had a hard time around my area finding someone who knows the Mazda DISI that well. Any way sorry for the long post just thought i put in my two cents.... loving the rex lots though!

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    I just can't get over the big, Joker smiley face on the ms3. It frightens me just looking at it lol
    Yeah, not a fan of the new design at all. My uncle has one and the front end is just atrocious IMO.

I really enjoyed the classic-hatch looks of the previous model though.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Yeah, not a fan of the new design at all. My uncle has one and the front end is just atrocious IMO.

I really enjoyed the classic-hatch looks of the previous model though.
    Ya lol. That's why I special ordered an 09 before the ugly 2010 pos came out. Like the car just not the issues I had with it

My friend with a speed6 complains of the same issue.
    hey just to put one thing out there..... the ms6 is the same engine and everything else as the ms3 but the ms6 is heavier/bigger in as a better family car and not so compact. i drive a ms3 on a regular basis about 40 k-60 k miles a year and the only time i really see a difference in performance is when i go over 4k miles on an oil change and i drive in all types of weather being in the midwest. and another thing the "torque steering" really? i would rather feel that and knowing its getting up n going rather then tryin to pass a few cars at a time and starts bogging down..... fer now n always i love my '08 MS3!

I Support ClubWRX
    You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting.
    I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go.
    sounds like a good time to me!
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

This is a great write up.

I award you 1000 internet points.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Nice write up. can't agree more on the stereo, i did some research on both cars before buying mine nothing extensive but like others have said, awd was a big factor for me and few months after purchasing my forester i was sucked right in the subie world and never looked back.
    2011 WRX WRB HB, 2011 FORESTER SSM AWP Premium.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
    Kurt Cobain

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    sounds like a good time to me!
    Yikes, your signature attributes a little more to me than what I said...or want to say...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yikes, your signature attributes a little more to me than what I said...or want to say...
    7 line max ftl. unless your magic admin power can give me 8! lol fixed it for you just incase though.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I was laughing at the 'FRMAROL' tag, then I saw all the fwd cars in your sig..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    i had a 08 mazda speed 3 before i sold it for my 05 sti...

the "torque steer" in the ms3 depends on which gear your in and how much the tires are spinning. since the pcm cuts boost in 1st and 2nd if you catch traction on the end of 2nd and shift to 3rd the wheel will actually pitch left to right or right to left! crazy! no torque steer in the sti and it launches

the stereo was better stock in the mazda but aftermarket stereos are still better...never heard a stock sti stereo

heat soak is horrible on a ms3 but the aftermarket has fixes for this...its only 85 in tx right now subie is doing great so far on heat soak

to me the interiors are about the same the mazdas seats are more comfortable

ride is about the same

ms3 only avail. in hatch

both cars are fast same hp numbers but even in tx traction is an issue for the mazda

oh i bought my sti for $17,500 80,000 miles ms3 $19,000 30,000 miles
    2005 psm sti
    Blobeye Syndicate #2003
    2006 black honda vtx 1300c

"I dont always race wrc, but when i do i prefer subaru"

My roommate and I both bought our cars around the same time. He purchased a 2012 MS3 (Upgraded from a 09' Civic Si.) and I bought a 2011 WRX HB. I always gave him grief about his smiley face but he loves it. His interior is nice but i'm just not a fan of the black leather and red cloth seats. His body roll seems to be about the same as mine. Whenever we raced from a 30 (ms3 stock, Subie had a stage 1 flash) I pulled probably 5-6 car lengths. He blamed it all on the flash but who knows. His exhaust is louder than mine BY FAR. He almost sounds aftermarket in tone. Impressive compared to mine because whenever i'm WOT all I hear is the wind. But all in all, the MS3 is a nice car but whenever I ride with him, the torque steer jerking just kills it for me. I love my wrx...... (:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast