Plymouth laser vs 06 wrx stg 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Plymouth laser vs 06 wrx stg 2 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So this guy I know has a laser. Seen it driving around one day heard a bov. Tried to catch ...

Plymouth laser vs 06 wrx stg 2

So this guy I know has a laser. Seen it driving around one day heard a bov. Tried to catch up with him to much traffic. Few days later I see him at this guy house and start asking him some questions about the car. Says its a 2.0 stroked to 2.4, PnP, a side mount IC, 18g, and like all ur basic bolt ons. Dont know what kind of engine management. So then he says he runs 11 to 11.5 quarter mile on 50/50 pump gas alc, street tires and a one wheelwonder. I called BS so I told him lets go run them. He feeds me a bunch of BS about how its not running right, right now and blablabla. So what do u guys think is this a bunch of BS or what.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Even if he is a liar, he's still being honest. It's american made, of course it's not running right.

A 2.0 bored out 400ccs? I don't think that you could bore it out that much... maybe to a 2.2 at best... I beleve that it wasn't running right though, those dsm's are piles of ****... you can get good performance out of them... so I think he's feeding you some ****... race him and see how it goes...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
    Even if he is a liar, he's still being honest. It's american made, of course it's not running right.
    Its a rebadged mitsubishi eclipse...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

thats what I though about the bore, he wouldent have a side wall left. Even if there was some left a 50/50 mix would melt that. Need to race I asked about the eclipse he said its a laser. He says he runs like 10 to 15 lbs of boost, how much can a side mount IC hold.
    Last edited by 06wrxSRH; 08-08-2010 at 07:42 PM.

They are the same thing... that's like saying your dodge stealth isn't a 3000 gt...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    They are the same thing... that's like saying your dodge stealth isn't a 3000 gt...
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. He's probably just talking out his @ss about his dream mods. Theres no way its bored 400 over.. thats where id start laughing.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. He's probably just talking out his @ss about his dream mods. Theres no way its bored 400 over.. thats where id start laughing.
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/stro...4-stroker.html

It's been done. I'd suggest if you want to prove him wrong, take it to the track and show him and us.

The Laser has the same motor as the Eclipse. It's a heck of a powerplant, very easy to mod.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

I Support ClubWRX
    An 86 mm bore kit was available to take the motor to 2.4L, using a 102mm stroke. It wasn't an inexpensive modification, nor one done over a weekend, but it did exist.

I have no doubt that the guy's car, running right with stated parts, would be very quick. They are not reliable cars though and that was their downfall.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've ridden in a highly modded first gen turbo eclipse. It wasn't very reliable, but when it was running right, it scared the heck out of me.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

I Support ClubWRX
    They are inexpensive to buy but expensive to run, and the youngest is now 11 years old, while the youngest 1G is 16 years old. They did do at least one thing more correctly than the WRX though -- the TD05-14B was a better turbo for the 2L cars than our TD04 IMO. You can't tell on stock cars because the Impreza is no much better managed, but the moment the boost is increased on stock turbos it makes a difference. The Impreza does turn and stop better and is much more likely to run though. Both cars have odd intercooler placement but at least the Impreza has less piping. The intake is also better designed on the Impreza IMO.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wow... I didn't think you could bore the 2.0 out that much... it must have some thick cylender walls...

As for reliability... he probally has something break everyother time he takes it out to the track...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    My list, from memory (I've posted variations before at least twice here):

Exhaust valve burnt.
    Steering banjo bolt leaking.
    Balance shaft failed; belt worn as shaft seized; deleted shaft entirely.
    A/C.
    Radiator.
    Idle control screw escaped, still at large.
    Erratic idle (even after screw replaced; a grounding issue).
    Voltage controller.
    Replacement alternator had poor threads; had to jury rig a mounting bolt.
    Battery (heat, poor voltage control, etc.).
    Hatch support struts.
    ECU capacitors began leaking.
    Fog light switch.
    Front caliper seized somehow, intermittent.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'd like to forget more.

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin View Post
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/stro...4-stroker.html

It's been done. I'd suggest if you want to prove him wrong, take it to the track and show him and us.

The Laser has the same motor as the Eclipse. It's a heck of a powerplant, very easy to mod.
    I guess I should reconsider what I said. Thats pretty crazy.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    I guess I should reconsider what I said. Thats pretty crazy.
    OT but more interesting that talking about a Mitsu motor that didn't, doesn't, and won't run right despite its potential: I can think of an instance where a 0.5L increase in displacement was done by the factory over the years, and in fact, it was a 4 cyl motor that used the same damned balance shaft system this Mitsu motor used (imagine my spitting on the Earth as I think of that balance shaft system...): Porsche. In fact the Germans did it with an Al block, whereas the Laser/Mitsu has an Fe block.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.