Plymouth laser vs 06 wrx stg 2 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Plymouth laser vs 06 wrx stg 2 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SD_GR My list, from memory (I've posted variations before at least twice here): Exhaust valve burnt. Steering ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My list, from memory (I've posted variations before at least twice here):

Exhaust valve burnt.
    Steering banjo bolt leaking.
    Balance shaft failed; belt worn as shaft seized; deleted shaft entirely.
    A/C.
    Radiator.
    Idle control screw escaped, still at large.
    Erratic idle (even after screw replaced; a grounding issue).
    Voltage controller.
    Replacement alternator had poor threads; had to jury rig a mounting bolt.
    Battery (heat, poor voltage control, etc.).
    Hatch support struts.
    ECU capacitors began leaking.
    Fog light switch.
    Front caliper seized somehow, intermittent.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'd like to forget more.
    Ouch that's more problems then id want to deal with on a car... I hope it wasn't your daily driver...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Ouch that's more problems then id want to deal with on a car... I hope it wasn't your daily driver...
    It did not drive daily so it could not have been -- but it was my foolish intention to drive it to work, yes... Never again...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It did not drive daily so it could not have been -- but it was my foolish intention to drive it to work, yes... Never again...
    I could see buying 1 as a cheap track car if you don't mind dumping a lot of money into it... One of my friends had a 94 laser rs awd... yeah it was very fast, but it spent more time broken then in a driveable condition... he put a mbc on it and finally melted a rod or two...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot the transfer case!

The transfer case would leak lube out the rear seal. This could result in the case seizing, and the rear wheels locking. Imagine what that could do at speed. The safety recall was effective for all cars and only some dealers dared give owners BS - I got mine done at a Chrysler dealer a little after Merc bought Chrysler (they're not the only poor fools to do so; FIAT have followed suit, but that's another story).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That would suck... you'd probally werck and probally not walk away from it either... I can't beleve that they manufactured those like that... I heard the evo 8's were pretty bad too... my same friend had 1 and the tranny, differental, and throw out bearing went out and it only had 23K miles on it...
    My montero has been pretty good, but it only has 30K on it and its an 04... so we will see how it does down the road...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    I rented a Mitsu SUV that I liked around 04 or so. Not all their stuff was rubbish but they did everything they could to combine as many innovations that don't quite work as possible, and they largely succeeded. The water pump on their 90s-era V6 was a crime against humanity.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
    Even if he is a liar, he's still being honest. It's american made, of course it's not running right.
    it's not american made. The plymouth laser is the 1g Eclipse rebadged. It was during the "DSM" era. It's the equivalent of a 1g GST
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yeah it does pretty well its just slow as all hell... especially going up the steep ass canyons here in utah... I could almost get out and walk faster...lol
    I saw an early 90's montero and it had an idiot gauge in it that tells you if your about ready to flip over...lol I like my subaru a lot better, we mainly just use it as a road trip truck or if we have to transport more then the 3 of us...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Quote Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
    Even if he is a liar, he's still being honest. It's american made, of course it's not running right.
    OMG JDM 4 eVER Yo

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    it's not american made. The plymouth laser is the 1g Eclipse rebadged. It was during the "DSM" era. It's the equivalent of a 1g GST
    These cars were all made in the same plant in the USA though (in IL) by a company incorporated in the USA. All DSMs are US-made, even if they were not made by a company owned wholly by US interests (only partially). They are probably "more" "American made" than my Honda, that is made entirely in the southern US, in that Diamond Star Motors did have US interests. In fact, DSMs were assembled by UAW workers -- whereas I do not believe my Honda was assembled by US union workers but don't know for sure.

But this does raise an interesting question: since DSM's demise the plant is still working and in fact now exports vehicles. Are these vehicles US or JP? The company that now owns the plant is a US corporation with JP interests. I honestly have no idea what that means as far as origin for the cars made now.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-09-2010 at 12:18 AM.

my buddy had a gsx and im pretty sure it broke every time he took it to the track like EVERY time lol it was scary fast when he could drive it which was 5% of the time he owned the car

DSMs broke because 20 years ago, nobody ever thought you could more than double the power output of a 4 cylinder car. It made a whopping 195 hp and that was a big number for 1990. What a shock that those SOB tcase engineers didn't think you'd add 100 hp and then try to launch from a standstill at 5000+ rpm.

Sure, I've trashed a tranny on a GSX (broken shift fork) but I never had the kind of reliability issues people like to sensationalize them having. I didn't have a very modded car by today's standards though -- 16g, exhaust, MBC was about it. I sold my last DSM in 2000, before they got old enough to have more frequent problems. I never broke a tcase, axle, or had any engine problem whatsoever, though I confess to rigging the idle speed when the ISC quit.

Come to think of it, my 91 GVR4 did end up having a burnt valve, but that was after 130k+ miles. It probably had something to do with losing the stock turbo (at 110k miles) while at full throttle...
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    DSMs broke because 20 years ago, nobody ever thought you could more than double the power output of a 4 cylinder car. .
    A really good point. When DSM's came out into the world, most 4-bangers were in the low 100's (my 90 Celica GTS made a whopping 130hp), and the really hot turbo 4's made as much as [gasp] 200 hp. This kind of output is what they came from the factory designed to do.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    The DSMs were catastrophically bad even if maintained according to the factory. In fact they started off with a "bang" as an early batch of timing belts failed while the car was still under basic warranty. They were a great design that never quite gelled.

I Support ClubWRX
    This 06 stage 2... is it a limited.. Auto? It will win. But only drag racing against a cop in north philly.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.