2002 WRX (mine) VS. 2000 Camaro Z28 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX (mine) VS. 2000 Camaro Z28 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX The point that's being conveyed is that our Subies have far more in common with a ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The point that's being conveyed is that our Subies have far more in common with a Toyota Camry than with an actual rally car. "Rally-inspired" may be a bit closer to the truth.
    Fair enough, however you certainly could use a production WRX in rally racing. Of course, I agree you need some cash for safety items, tires, and some suspension bits.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Fair enough, however you certainly could use a production WRX in rally racing. Of course, I agree you need some cash for safety items, tires, and some suspension bits.
    Agreed!...I could use my wife's minivan in rally racing. It would be entertaining to be sure.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I'd say your launches could be better but I'd think you should able to keep up from a roll. When I had my 04 wrx wagon (stage 2 at the time) I had a friend that had a stock 2001 z28 automatic and from a roll we were dead even up to over 120mph. We ran a few times at the track also and I'd get about 1.5 car lenght jump on him and keep it to the finish line. But, once he fed it 100hp worth of nitrous it was game over for me. Also had a friend with an 06 GTO 6 speed with intake, exhaust and a tune. From a stop I'd be ahead till the end of my 2nd gear when he'd fly by me. From a roll he could just get on and off the gas and toy with me, so stay away from those.
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The point that's being conveyed is that our Subies have far more in common with a Toyota Camry than with an actual rally car. "Rally-inspired" may be a bit closer to the truth.
    I imagine that a true rally car would make for a lousy daily driver, what with notchy transmissions, individual oil containers, long suspension travel, and ultra-short gear ratios. The truth is that even a Lancer Evo RS or an STi RA is closer related to a Toyota Camry than a true rally car.
    STi RA ~ $35,000 when new
    Impreza WRC ~ $500,000

The price tag is that high for a reason
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    You might be able to take him off the line if you get your launch perfect, but your not going to be able to out run him... he has a ls1 350 under his hood... putting out 305hp and about 350lbs of torque... they say that they are underated from the factory too... you'd have to do at least a turbo swap to run with him in mir stock form...
    were the camaro's that much different from the t/a? The ls1 motors in the t/a's were making 350hp and 375tq ..

either way a 02 wrx is not going to phase a ls powered car. Not at a mere stage II anyway.

Long travel suspension is never a bad thing.. even for street driven cars actually, if you live in a area with rough roads I'd say its much better. Less time on bumpstops/more time with tire on ground means better handling.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I have a 1973 Monte Carlo with a built up 350 putting out around 450-500 hp (est) along with a 700R overdrive tranny with 4.11's in the rear end. If anyone knows anything about the old Monte Carlo's, they are freaking huge! For being such a big car, the thing will flat out scoot. It will get sideways when I shift into 2nd gear and break the tires loose shifting into 3rd. In the 70's the car was designed to be a "luxury sports car", mine has/had power windows and locks, air conditioning, and a few other things that weren't common on most cars in the 70's. On the performance side of the car it came factory with a 4 barrel carb., dual exhaust, and front and rear sway bars. The car does handle very well for an old "muscle" car.

Both of my cars are probably pretty close on the straights (I have not gotten a chance to run both next to each other) but night and day difference on the twisties.

The sound of a big cam in a 350 is something every car should have, in my opinion. The sound that comes from our precious boxer engine is equally amazing as well.

However there is something to be said for both cars/motors.

Long story short, whatever floats your boat.
    2010 -White Pearl
    Factory STi Short Throw (Dealer installed)

Agreed!...I could use my wife's minivan in rally racing. It would be entertaining to be sure.
    There's an article in last months Grassroots Motorsports mag about a guy who entered a $500 BMW 318 in WRC Mexico and finished 3rd in class...

Great read:
    http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-50...k-rally-racers
    Last edited by Pavia; 08-16-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There's an article in last months Grassroots Motorsports mag about a guy who entered a $500 BMW 318 in WRC Mexico and finished 3rd in class...
    must be one hell of a driver
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thats an older story I read about it in Import Tuner a while ago, nevertheless its quite incredible. Its a pretty good story too.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

my camaro is faster than my WRX

I have a 94 Z28, which is the older less powerful LT1 engine (275hp, 325lb-ft stock). I would guess mine has about 300hp even now after some minor mods. My camaro out traps the WRX in the 1/4 by almost 7mph. Even though they don't have the traction that the WRX has. Once they get rolling they have plenty of torque and right now throttle response to be pretty quick off the line. But everybody is right about them being straight line cars. That solid axle, posi-trac, and lots of torque pretty much guarantees unpredictable power oversteer, at least with mine that's the way it is.

I used to have a 94 z28 as well... I've heard they are factory underated in terms of power... I ran a 13.2 in mine at 4700 ft elev (not a good launch) I had headers, full exhaust, cai, ls6 intake manifold w/ injectors, and engine management... I'm sure I could've done better but the wheelspin is crazy...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123