2002 WRX (mine) VS. 2000 Camaro Z28 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX (mine) VS. 2000 Camaro Z28 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M V8 this and V8 that... Just like a Subaru, they're not fast till there's money ...

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    V8 this and V8 that... Just like a Subaru, they're not fast till there's money put into them. If they're fast & stock it's because they were expensive to begin with. If they're modded & fast, somebody put the money into it.

Ya gotta pay to play, and that rule isn't confined to any single type of vehicle. The beauty of this is it gives us the choice of which vehicle we want to go fast in. Obviously something like an 02 WRX will need more mods than an 09 WRX would to be equally quick, but they guy with the 09 spent more to start there. Same goes in the v8 world -- 13.9 @ 102 isn't any quicker than a modern import runs from the factory. There are v8 people happy with an intake and a handheld programmer, and there heads/cam/blower cars on the other end of the spectrum.

This type of thread always turns into a "Yeah, but bolt on so-and-so and then..." type of tennis match. That's the whole point - it all depends on what each car has as to who's quicker. Nobody wins by default.
    You can buy a newish wrx for 24k, you can buy an 02 camaro ss for about 14k. Mod for mod your seriously wrong, a camaro will DESTROY a wrx in a 1/4. Theres TONS of links of them running 12.5s and 12.6s with nothing but a set of tires, thats it. With full bolt ons and DRS YOUR IN 11s for sure at over 115. To go 11s on a wrx your gunna need a turbo swap, not to mention you can buy an Ls1 car far cheaper than a new wrx. Theres no comparison to the 02-05 wrxs in a 1/4, noone is making 12s in a stock wrx with tires. If motor size didnt matter you would see alot more drag imports, but its cheaper and easier to make serious power with a v8... everyone knows this.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You are comparing a muscle car to a rally car. two very different cars. Hopefully a person would purchase a vehicle with a understanding of what it is made for. I have had muscle cars and now the new wrx. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Love your car and appreciate it for what it is.
    Up here in the mountains as a dd drive the wrx rules and all your mustangs and camero's are put away for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    You are comparing a muscle car to a rally car. two very different cars. Hopefully a person would purchase a vehicle with a understanding of what it is made for. I have had muscle cars and now the new wrx. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Love your car and appreciate it for what it is.
    Up here in the mountains as a dd drive the wrx rules and all your mustangs and camero's are put away for the winter.
    I by no means like any muscle car (well maybe a new vette)more than I do my subby. Its much more practical for a DD and can make power fairly easily like exhaust and a tune. That said, I was reffering to said z28 pulling 13.9s.. and like you stated theres no comparison on a drag strip because thats what the camaro is built to do. Now they are getting pretty cheap, I found a procharged 98 for 9k with only 1 owner and 60k miles. To add to that, he had every service record and receipt for the part installs and tuning (made 505 rwhp on 6psi(d1sc procharger I think?)). Guy was like 68 years old who owned it and only drove it to car shows,... I was so close to selling my poor wrx but that car was not exactly a 19 yr olds DD Just the amount of power it had with like 2 or 3 bolt on parts was insane.
    Chris

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman;
    You are comparing a muscle car to a rally car.
    Hmmmmm.....
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    You can buy a newish wrx for 24k, you can buy an 02 camaro ss for about 14k. Mod for mod your seriously wrong, a camaro will DESTROY a wrx in a 1/4. Theres TONS of links of them running 12.5s and 12.6s with nothing but a set of tires, thats it. With full bolt ons and DRS YOUR IN 11s for sure at over 115. To go 11s on a wrx your gunna need a turbo swap, not to mention you can buy an Ls1 car far cheaper than a new wrx. Theres no comparison to the 02-05 wrxs in a 1/4, noone is making 12s in a stock wrx with tires. If motor size didnt matter you would see alot more drag imports, but its cheaper and easier to make serious power with a v8... everyone knows this.
    You're comparing pricing of used cars; use their price new as a starting point. I never said mod for mod either. I simply said you'll have to spend money on either one of them to go fast.

Despite what you claim, stock Camaros run high 13s on average. I've seen bone stock auto LS1s turn consistent 14.0s. I suppose you could run 12s if you put slicks on it but then again, so could my grandmother in her LS460. Horsepower is just gas & air. Whatever you do to burn more of it will make the car faster, and it doesn't matter what engine is doing the work.

There are plenty of examples where you can buy a cheaper car and make it faster; that isn't exclusive to the v8 either. I could buy a beater Stealth TT for $5k, and with just a downpipe and MBC it'll run in the 12s. I could buy a Mercedes E55 for under $25k and it'll run 11s with a pulley & tune, no other work (or drag radials) required. If that's what I wanted, I'd have it now. Same goes for any F-body or the new Mustang. I've been a member at CamaroZ28.com for 12 years now; they aren't new to me.

The fad around here now is to buy box Chevys from the 80s, put a forged lump in it, and spray the ever-living hell out of it. With slicks they really move it in the 1/8th but is that something I'd want to drive? Hell no! I know they've spent less than I have but they can keep it.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    You're comparing pricing of used cars; use their price new as a starting point. I never said mod for mod either. I simply said you'll have to spend money on either one of them to go fast.

Despite what you claim, stock Camaros run high 13s on average. I've seen bone stock auto LS1s turn consistent 14.0s. I suppose you could run 12s if you put slicks on it but then again, so could my grandmother in her LS460. Horsepower is just gas & air. Whatever you do to burn more of it will make the car faster, and it doesn't matter what engine is doing the work.

There are plenty of examples where you can buy a cheaper car and make it faster; that isn't exclusive to the v8 either. I could buy a beater Stealth TT for $5k, and with just a downpipe and MBC it'll run in the 12s. I could buy a Mercedes E55 for under $25k and it'll run 11s with a pulley & tune, no other work (or drag radials) required. If that's what I wanted, I'd have it now. Same goes for any F-body or the new Mustang. I've been a member at CamaroZ28.com for 12 years now; they aren't new to me.

The fad around here now is to buy box Chevys from the 80s, put a forged lump in it, and spray the ever-living hell out of it. With slicks they really move it in the 1/8th but is that something I'd want to drive? Hell no! I know they've spent less than I have but they can keep it.
    Yea but thats a mercedes... the thread title is 02 wrx vs 02 camaro z28. Therefore any other car doesnt have anything to do with it. The OP simply asked how a z28 beat him. I told him how and gave a very accurate description of how that happened. Even an 09 wrx will lose to a camaro ss with slicks in the quarter.. cmon. Also, if you wanna compare auto cars the 4eat wrx is only pulling maybe a 15 or high 14(2002). It doesnt matter what car feels faster man., the camaro is faster stock and will be faster mod for mod, thats how it beat the OP. Also stock STI run 13s, so I doubt an STI would keep up with a camaro with slicks. Why is it hard to believe a car that weighs 200lbs or so more with 100 more hp and tq runs faster.......
    Chris

We each choose are ride for what we want out of it. There are things i miss not having the mustang and nothing wrong with muscle cars. For me my Rex is the perfect car.
    It will disapoint me because I realize it's asset's and limatations.

Sorry, typing on my iPod. Meant it will not disapoint me because I understand it's assets and limatations.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Yea but thats a mercedes... the thread title is 02 wrx vs 02 camaro z28. Therefore any other car doesnt have anything to do with it.
    I never doubted the results, and it's never a surprise to me when a ~96 mph car loses to a 100+ mph car. We long ago strayed from the original topic, which I recall didn't have anything to do with how much cheaper it is to make a v8 go fast, and my examples were of ways to go faster for cheaper no matter what the car happens to be.

This is exactly why we'll be converting my brother's 89 Supra to an LSx drivetrain. The body & interior are perfect but the engine has bearing issues so we're looking at a GM drivetrain instead. The 2jz swap is old news (and he's already had a well-modded 94 Supra) so there's nothing like the simple reliable speed of a heads/cam LS1/2 with a nice converter & GM automatic. It's the least we can do for a car he got in 1992. FWIW, this will still be his "slow" car by a good margin.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    You are comparing a muscle car to a rally car.
    It's a rally car bro
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Z-28 is muscle car not rally. Take it out on the twisty dirt roads up here and different story. Two very different cars, both great for what they do.

I Support ClubWRX
    The point that's being conveyed is that our Subies have far more in common with a Toyota Camry than with an actual rally car. "Rally-inspired" may be a bit closer to the truth.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Fair enough, rally inspired. That was not my point. I have had 6 subies before the rex all na while you might be able to compare them to a camry not a wrx. Basically you have a quick little awd car. I have had muscle car's (mostly mustangs) and they are a far cry from a wrx, sti or evo. Both the muscle car's and the wrx each have there attributes and it is a matter of deciding what you want and not making the car more than it will be. I have tracked my stangs and at my age got it out of my system. While the rex is quick it would not be my choice for drag racing. It is a great little car that put's a smile on my face every time I drive it.Each to his own and no more to say in this thread for me.

I might sell my watch, chain, and most of my hoes so I can get a Camaro. It will be rly rly fast, yo. North Philly represent!!! Nawfside Til I Die! My .44 make sho all yo kids don't grow! Su-Whoooop!

I smoked a Z-28 in my 4eat limited.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast