Review: 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart

This is a discussion on Review: 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart takes aim at the competition There has always been a glaringly obvious gap in Mitsubishi's ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Review: 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart takes aim at the competition

There has always been a glaringly obvious gap in Mitsubishi's current Lancer lineup. On the bottom is the... Lancer, a biggish-for-its-class economy car that no one particularly likes at least that's what the sales charts would indicate. It's slow, filled with cheap plastics and dull. It hasn't even proven to be all that reliable by Japanese small-car standards, but at least it looks good. At the top of the heap and on a wholly different plane sits the Lancer Evolution. It's the giant-slayer, David, the little car that humbles supercars. It's also the hottest of the rally-inspired all-wheel-drive turbocharged pocket rockets. The Evo's only real competition is the Subaru WRX STI and, let's be honest, the Evo has been the better car for years now (Subaru has just updated its warrior for 2011, so a new comparison is in order). Its handling is more precise, yet at the same time more insane. The Mitsu is rawer, rougher, tougher and most importantly faster, even though it's down half a liter on the WRX STI in terms of displacement. Don't read this wrong, the STI is a fine backroad killer. But the EVO is more homicidal.

Back to that gap. In the middle of its arch rival's portfolio has long lived the WRX, Subaru's Goldie Loxian sportster, which is very fast, very nimble, but very well priced (it still starts at under $25,000). The WRX has long threaded the needle between excellent all-around performance and the customer not being able to afford a higher monthly payment. Subaru, therefore, has sold a ton of them, for not only does the WRX offer all that power and rally-bred oomph at a low price, it can be had as a wagon. Mitsubishi had nothing until this year, when the Japanese industrial powerhouse brought over two new flavors of its hopped-up Lancer, the Ralliart and the Ralliart Sportback.

Today we're taking a look at the supposedly more practical of those two additions, the five-door Sportback. When the pictures of the Lancer Sportback Ralliart started spilling onto this here internet, Yours Truly was especially excited. The main reason being that for the past eight years, I've owned a WRX wagon in one form or another. Biased? You could say that, but at that same time, I've been driving Evos against STIs and have remained aware (perhaps painfully aware) that the Evo is the sharper blade. Perhaps, then, the Sportback Ralliart could be my next fast and furious wagon, or at least go wheel-to-wheel with its competition from Fuji Heavy Industries? Hop the jump to find out.

Read Article: autoblog.com/Mitsu Lancer Sportback Review

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd like to like this car. My next car will probably be an Evo. And of course this Lancer would be a decent car and everything but the design work is just horrible.

Last edited by etshulda; 07-28-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Edit: Reduced size of annoyingly large pic
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

I love the new Evo but I find every other model repugnant, especially the sportback.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

It's nice to see them trying to fill that vacant spot in their offering. But they definitely have a way to go. Can't beat a WRX's price that's for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I love the new Evo but I find every other model repugnant, especially the sportback.
    x2...

when i was first thinking about a 2010 rex hatch, i found so many articles and reviews that felt the car is ugly. the ralliart sportback is waaaaay uglier. not to mention the fact that i would never buy a vehicle that has a motor called mivec. the mitsu is an overpriced econobox with a turbo. after owning my first subaru, i definetly dont feel that is the case with the WRX

Noticeably missing from the comparison at the end (with MS3 and the WRX) was the Genesis coupe. It should come in priced below any of these with all the aftermarket potential, and RWD is not a bad thing.

I don't think we've ever had so many choices for cheap quick cars before.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Speaking of tacked-on, just imagine how strange the Sportback would look if you were to unbolt its rear wing somewhere between the old Mazda 626 Touring and the Sterling 827?
    I LOL'ed when I read this

i don't like it. only like the sedan. I will take a mazdaspeed 3 tho!
    "I Stare At The Sun & The Stars."

"Subaru Shirts"

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    God that thing is hideous...
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

That thing looks like a volvo cross country to me... its all boxey and they are heavy too at about 3600lbs...

The 08 and up evos and sti's got slower and uglier imo... why do they have to go and ruin their best cars?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I chose the Impreza 2.5GT over this. I needed an automatic (for the wife...), and spent a lot less for the Impreza. In stock form, it was slower than the ralliart, but a DP and Cobbs stage 2 changed all that. It ran 13.7 @ 99 mph, and does 0-60 in the low/mid 5's. I am happy with my choice. Besides spending less (even w/ the mods), I got a more reliable car. It pulls hard right from idle, making it a fun DD and hard to beat from a standstill (launches perfect every time w/ the auto).

Honestly, it was a tough choice, but the "newness" of the SST had me concerned about long term reliability (in spite of its coolness). I know the 4eat tranny of the Impreza is reliable, based on my last 4eat wrx (which I had for 175k trouble-free miles).
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)