2010 STi vs 2010 BMW 135i
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 STi vs 2010 BMW 135i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Interesting convo came up with a buddy of mine. What do you guys think? Stock vs Stock, 2010 STi vs ...

2010 STi vs 2010 BMW 135i

Interesting convo came up with a buddy of mine. What do you guys think?

Stock vs Stock, 2010 STi vs a 135i. The BMW is a 300hp/300tq bi-turbo 6-cylinder vs the 310hp/290tq turbo 4-cylinder.

On a road track.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would place my money on the 135i. BMW really engineered this car well. Those turbos might be small but they create instant power. It would be a good/close race though.
    Last edited by oguitar; 07-16-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    The narrower and bumpier the course the better the Impreza will do IMO, but in any case I don't expect the differences to exceed 1 second per km regardless of surface or layout.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

given equal drivers, it would be very close. it would depend on the track and other small things rather just what cars. weather, altitude, length of race etc. i'd give the edge to the bmw.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    given equal drivers, it would be very close. it would depend on the track and other small things rather just what cars. weather, altitude, length of race etc. i'd give the edge to the bmw.
    I think Weather and Altitude will have less to do with this race due to both the engines being Turbo. (This is amusing the asphalt is dry)

Length of the race will be a big impact though. The longer the race the less likely the Impreza will be in front.

I Support ClubWRX
    My impression is that the 135i still has softer suspension (without the dinan upgrade)... I'd say the curvier the course the better chance for the impreza. BUT... on a long road course with a couple of straights, the 135i would probably hand the impreza a beating
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    I think Weather and Altitude will have less to do with this race due to both the engines being Turbo. (This is amusing the asphalt is dry)

Length of the race will be a big impact though. The longer the race the less likely the Impreza will be in front.
    agreed, i was thinking about the m series which are n/a.

i say a short race where tire wear/heat isn't a problem the awd could abuse its tires to a win. but over a longer distance the rwd would prevail.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

in a standing 1/4 it seems like they would be pretty even anything past the 1/4 ( From a roll) the STI would... im guessing lose.

You could consider the '10 STI SE as stock. How would that change the mix?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    You could consider the '10 STI SE as stock. How would that change the mix?
    The M series bimmers could be considered stock as well. Guess if there was an M1 this conversation would be a moot point...

However, the SE is probably more comparable in price to the 135i so that would definitely be the comparison to make.

I Support ClubWRX
    There really should be an M1
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I have raced a number of 135i BMW's recently in my stg2 09 WRX which from experience is much faster than a 2010 STI.

I am sure the 135i would win, they are a crazy fast little car. Why it doesnt have the M badge il never know!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    There really should be an M1
    I don't know about that Kevin. From everything I've read, the 3 series is a superior platform to the 1 series. I would change this thread to 2010 STi versus 335i if we were looking for a true comparison.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I think the 135i and 335i are basically the same car but the 135i is supposed to be slightly lighter and be more basic (less luxurious). I could be wrong though.

The thing that makes these cars special IMHO is the small twin turbo setup. These cars start spooling like at 1500 RPM. BMW might have moved to a single turbo setup for newer models, but that I would have to check on.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    1 series is much lighter and smaller than the 3 series
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.