MPG: Mustang V6 vs STI ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on MPG: Mustang V6 vs STI ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Couldn't a stock 305 hp STI driving around at 43.9 mph get better mileage than this Mustang? http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/24...-48-5-mpg-w-v/...

MPG: Mustang V6 vs STI ?

Couldn't a stock 305 hp STI driving around at 43.9 mph get better mileage than this Mustang? http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/24...-48-5-mpg-w-v/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes it can. These tests are always made in a way to make the company's car look the best. Obviously it wasn't using 305 horses. Going at a constant speed that is the most fuel efficient for a certain vehicle then yeah you will get a real good MPG. Any car can do that.

if you did that in a STi just like that you may crack 33mpg.

I have a 2009 wrx non STI... One thing is for sure i didn't buy my subby to get 48 MPG at 43 MPH. I am lucky if i get 15 MPG the way i drive. i don't really speed, i just like getting to the speed limit quickly.

The few times i have tried to get good MPG i realized i had to keep the PSI at -20 to -10... and any time i got in to the positives my MPG dropped. The best i could do was 28-32 MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    I have a 2009 wrx non STI... One thing is for sure i didn't buy my subby to get 48 MPG at 43 MPH. I am lucky if i get 15 MPG the way i drive. i don't really speed, i just like getting to the speed limit quickly.

The few times i have tried to get good MPG i realized i had to keep the PSI at -20 to -10... and any time i got in to the positives my MPG dropped. The best i could do was 28-32 MPG.
    Sweet, that's reassuring. I'm getting a 2011 WRX and I didn't want to lose my Civic Si's gas mileage.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet Admiral View Post
    Sweet, that's reassuring. I'm getting a 2011 WRX and I didn't want to lose my Civic Si's gas mileage.
    What sort of mileage do Si's get in real world driving? We have many members here with standard WRX's who struggle to get better than 20mpg.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Unless you keep the RPM's around 2500 in the Subie, you're not going to match the Si's MPG. My '02 Si, averaged high 20's low 30's. My WRX, albeit an '04, averages around 25 mpg...and I'm lightfooted. Wait until you feel the torque in that '11. You won't want to keep it under 3k.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

I'm sure this car wasn't all stock. They probably messed with the ecu at the very least. They don't just randomly do a test like this without having the upper edge.

like all american cars its probably also geared stupid tall too.. so its barely turning over at lower speeds like that.

low rpm = good fuel mileage.

Keep in mind too for real world, you'd be hard pressed to get same from a awd that you would from a f or rwd car.. again though, given that the stang is a heavy PIG.. it might balance out.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'm not really a fan of any Mustangs made after 1970, but I love the glass roof on the 2011s.

OH lol you will trust me.

The ONLY way i get 28-29 MPG in my 09 WRX is on a 100% interstate freeway trip at 65-70 mph right after a fill up and no boost at all with the cruise control set.

You will be so addicted to boost you most likely wont see much over 25 mpg no matter how easy you think you are driving the car.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

If i wanted fuel economy i'd buy a pushbike

From the first time you ever took a WRX for a test drive would you really buy one for its fuel economy or because it is one of the most exciting cars you have ever driven. Be it in a straight line or the twistiest hilly roads, tarmac, gravel, dirt, a WRX can do it all.

They are addictive and like any addiction you need more.

Or is it just me ?

My name is not Lance Armstrong but you my friends can call me **** Legweak "can't you push that gas pedal any harder"
    Don't be soft ****, harder, faster, more revs 4000rpm drop the clutch 5500 into 2nd 6000 into 3rd 6500 into 4th 7000 into 5th 180 kph bloody speed limiter Damn that Shelby Cobra was fast, i'll take you next time Muzzy.

They are truly addictive cars.
    Hey
    ( it's just my opinion, besides my WRX it's all i have )

Disclaimer
    I cannot guarantee the accuracy nor intelligence of my opinion. But promise to express it free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    What sort of mileage do Si's get in real world driving? We have many members here with standard WRX's who struggle to get better than 20mpg.
    I have a 2008 Civic Si and I usually get 30-32mpg mostly highway driving. Spirited driving once in awhile included

Quote Originally Posted by wrxsti007 View Post
    I have a 2008 Civic Si and I usually get 30-32mpg mostly highway driving. Spirited driving once in awhile included
    I get 24-26 city:highway 80%:20%.
    And I get 30-32 highway (70-75 mph).

I love my Si but some things changed so I got a 2011 WRX. My dad has it on his car lot but I can't drive it yet because he ****ed the front bumper loading it on a trailer. So I live 4 hours away from my parents and he calls me to tell me to drive down Friday and that the bumper would be ready... Well I get down there and he tells me the SWP paint didn't match.. So I leave my Si with my dad to keep the miles off it and drive my mom's Camry back up to school..

I feel like an old lady driving an automatic... The steering wheel is so big, it feels like I'm driving a sea-going vessel. The suspension is soft and the body roll is retarded. The seats are flat and non-bolstered so I feel like I could just slide into the passengers seat if I turn hard enough to the left. This experience has made me realize that I never want a non-sporty car. I would never give up my stiff suspension and overall connection with the car for something like a Camry. Sport>Luxury.

That being said; I will be getting my car this weekend. And what's even better is that my family is driving the WRX up to Tuscaloosa, AL and I'm meeting them from Starkville, MS then we're driving up to Cookville, TN to see some family friends. So I'll have 700+ miles on the car - already broken in - and Cookville is 2 hours from The Dragon. So I'll have a pretty fun Saturday.

Ramble Ramble Ramble Ramble

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.