Anybody race a turbo cobalt? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 85

This is a discussion on Anybody race a turbo cobalt? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 agreed its the only place a fwd can cut the same 60fts as awd cars. 1.7 ...

  1. #46
    Registered User cjm1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    agreed its the only place a fwd can cut the same 60fts as awd cars. 1.7 60fts on slicks ftw.
    I love your avatar, says it all for the srt, but what times and trap speeds did that pull off on the slicks? Sorry its off topic. I havent raced a turbo cobalt, ive beat a few SC ones thats it tho.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,913
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I'm in. Can we add drews to the bucket too? With his 'stache?
    only if you make it out to Cretinfest
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  4. #48
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    I love your avatar, says it all for the srt, but what times and trap speeds did that pull off on the slicks? Sorry its off topic. I havent raced a turbo cobalt, ive beat a few SC ones thats it tho.

    my srt never made a solid pass before it blew up. it had 5 shake down passes where i was going easy on purpose. with a 2.6 60ft spinning 1st and 2nd it went 12.65@127 on the low boost (540ish whp tune) i fully expected the car to go deep 10s@135-140. the car pulled a 500whp z06 by 4 cars and was dead even with a bolt on tuned 07 gsxr1000 from 60

    if i ever get another hi po fwd car it will be a ss/tc. it's a great car with lot of potential. its shame the sc version gave it such a bad name.
    Last edited by 2004NeonSRT4; 06-25-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  5. #49
    Registered User cjm1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    1,040
    Thats awesome man, do you got any vids of it anywhere? I have a friend with a 04 srt with 425ist whp and i was AMAZED how hard that thing pulled when i had my old sti(R.I.P). What turbo were you using for that kinda power, sorry if this is hijacking this thread ill pm you if I get flammed. I like the way the SC cobalts look a little better than the new ones, but turbos see gains alot easier than their little SCer they had. Would be a fun car to build though for a highway monster.

    Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

  6. #50
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Thats awesome man, do you got any vids of it anywhere? I have a friend with a 04 srt with 425ist whp and i was AMAZED how hard that thing pulled when i had my old sti(R.I.P). What turbo were you using for that kinda power, sorry if this is hijacking this thread ill pm you if I get flammed. I like the way the SC cobalts look a little better than the new ones, but turbos see gains alot easier than their little SCer they had. Would be a fun car to build though for a highway monster.

    Chris


    search my user name for other threads i've started. there are pics and vids. the turbo was a hp61 .63 a/r
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  7. #51
    Registered User INTA:LECT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    Pot, meet Kettle.
    I'm new to subies... not new to cars... mistaking GVW for Curb weight is a 16 year old, just got their license, just bought their first car type of mistake.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

  8. #52
    Registered User INTA:LECT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    Haha! Sorry, my apologies. He certainly has an argument there. I was busy reading what he wrote not what he edited in my quote. That being said. I had no problem beating a 2008 SS from a roll. Of course that could be chalked up to the driver of the SS.
    I find that very hard to believe... sure it wasn't an 05-07 ss? the 08+ ss traps around 103 and i'e seen some as high as 104 bone stock... even the new sti doesn't trap that high.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

  9. #53
    Registered User INTA:LECT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    Yeah it maintains over 200 ft lbs all the way to redline. Doesn't the SS have a 6 speed? I really prefer the 5 speed for 1st and 2nd in most 4 cyl turbos. I can get over 60 in 2 gears where a 6 speed has another shift. Obviously it doesn't matter in bigger engine cars with higher top speed... I was able to down shift to second in the circumstance I'm talking about.
    SS has a 5 speed.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

  10. #54
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by INTA:LECT View Post
    I find that very hard to believe... sure it wasn't an 05-07 ss? the 08+ ss traps around 103 and i'e seen some as high as 104 bone stock... even the new sti doesn't trap that high.
    Well it can be chalked up to driver ability though I will say the 2009+ WRX traps at 102 (Car and Driver) which is exactly the same as the STI as tested by the same people, so it moves pretty well. That's the same ballpark as the 08 Cobalt SS. Road and track trapped it at 101.8 while Motor Trend trapped at 102.5.

  11. #55
    Registered User INTA:LECT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    Well it can be chalked up to driver ability though I will say the 2009+ WRX traps at 102 (Car and Driver) which is exactly the same as the STI as tested by the same people, so it moves pretty well. That's the same ballpark as the 08 Cobalt SS. Road and track trapped it at 101.8 while Motor Trend trapped at 102.5.
    If you beat it the way you said you did... i doubt it's driver error, roll races couldn't be screwed up by a driver with down syndrome.

    considering the trap speeds (according to a magazine, i've personally seen them trap 103 consistently with nothing done) are so close you shouldn't have pulled at all.

    I wouldn't take what the magazines say literally, the ecm in the cobalt restricts a certain amount of power (tq management sux ballz, all gm's have it) until after a certain amount of miles to ensure the car is broken in correctly and the driver can't abuse or break anything before it is broken in. The magazines had cobalts with less than 500 miles on them and were trapping 102.5mph... that's pre break in. most turbo balts you will encounter (unless you find someone with one that's still new or was in storage) have reached that break in point and the ecm has opened up that restricted power, or... they got it tuned almost immediately after they got it, or had the gm stage tune put on when it came out, but at that point there's no hope in pulling the way you said you did.

    after break in those cars wake up, the ecm unlocks certain parameters to free up the restricted power... the tq management is a big reason why the car makes an extra 100whp with just intake, tbe, and a tune. They remove tq management crank the boost and ramp timing.

    if you beat him as bad as you say he did, i doubt it was a turbo balt.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

  12. #56
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by INTA:LECT View Post
    If you beat it the way you said you did... i doubt it's driver error, roll races couldn't be screwed up by a driver with down syndrome.

    considering the trap speeds (according to a magazine, i've personally seen them trap 103 consistently with nothing done) are so close you shouldn't have pulled at all.

    I wouldn't take what the magazines say literally, the ecm in the cobalt restricts a certain amount of power (tq management sux ballz, all gm's have it) until after a certain amount of miles to ensure the car is broken in correctly and the driver can't abuse or break anything before it is broken in. The magazines had cobalts with less than 500 miles on them and were trapping 102.5mph... that's pre break in. most turbo balts you will encounter (unless you find someone with one that's still new or was in storage) have reached that break in point and the ecm has opened up that restricted power, or... they got it tuned almost immediately after they got it, or had the gm stage tune put on when it came out, but at that point there's no hope in pulling the way you said you did.

    after break in those cars wake up, the ecm unlocks certain parameters to free up the restricted power... the tq management is a big reason why the car makes an extra 100whp with just intake, tbe, and a tune. They remove tq management crank the boost and ramp timing.

    if you beat him as bad as you say he did, i doubt it was a turbo balt.
    You may be right about that. It could have been the SC.

    So all of the mags weren't privy to this info about the ecm? Sorry man I don't buy that one. I think I'm going to have to trust the numbers that the pros consistently get. That being said, people claim to get better numbers (then the pros get) at the track on just about every car in the world (including our subies). I wasn't there so I'm not saying it isn't true but likewise I won't accept it as real evidence either.
    Last edited by Chris Beasley; 06-26-2010 at 08:56 AM.

  13. #57
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,913
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    let's be completely honest with ourselves. Both the WRX and Cobalt SS post piss-poor trap speeds stock.

    though, to drive the point home, real-world results have considerably more weight than magazine-racing:
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...lip-17087.html

    (it truly does look like the econobox from whence it came )
    Last edited by zax; 06-26-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #58
    Registered User INTA:LECT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    You may be right about that. It could have been the SC.

    So all of the mags weren't privy to this info about the ecm? Sorry man I don't buy that one. I think I'm going to have to trust the numbers that the pros consistently get. That being said, people claim to get better numbers (then the pros get) at the track on just about every car in the world (including our subies). I wasn't there so I'm not saying it isn't true but likewise I won't accept it as real evidence either.
    Since when did computer nerd magazine writers become pros?

    when the ion redline came out they tested it at a 15.1 @ 93mph

    at 4900' altitude, mine ran a 14.6 @ 100mph STOCK. with a ****ty 2.3 60'

    magazine writers are idiots and don't know **** about driving cars, they're armchair racers...

    they don't have professional drivers testing those cars, they have magazine editors and desk jockeys driving them.

    Any idiot can start a magazine and hire some car savvy know it all writers if they have the money to do it, you don't have to be a "pro" to write for a car magazine, you only have to be a good writer.

    Why do you think so many people get made fun of on forums for magazine racing and quoting magazine times when comparing two cars? Because magazine writers are idiots, they post et and trap speed but no 60' 1/8 mile time and trap, etc... because their 60' times suck and they can't drive for ****.

    Real world results and a timeslip outweigh anything a dweeb with a pen can claim about a car they only know what they read about and regurgitate the same crap... why do you think all magazine articles sound the same? because all they do is re-write what they read.

    And no, magazine writers do not know about that feature of the ecm on the cobalts, only reason why the ecotec community knows is because two things happened.

    1. HP Tuners hacked the ecm and found the tq management parameters.

    2. There's a few GM techs who had the sky redline and solstice before the cobalt was released with the LNF that found it, and the cobalt uses a similar ecm.

    the writers don't investigate things like that, they look into 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, breaking, and creature comforts and accessories... mainly based off of the manufacturers claims... the same manufacturer that paid them to do the article on their car... it's nothing but advertisement.

    it's like a movie critic... they give a distasteful, completely inaccurate, and off base review of a good movie or bad movie and nobody listens to them because they are usually wrong.

    I came from the ecotec community and you can check the redlineforums for the sticky.. i wrote the book on turbocharging and twincharging an LSJ... i didn't pioneer the technology but i sure as hell put a lot of work into providing a database for the knowledge and information that most people do not and will not know without it.

    The ecotec community knew these things about the cobalt before it was even released with an LNF.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

  15. #59
    Registered User INTA:LECT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    169
    Compared to:

    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Edmunds Inside Line[/B]]
    1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 14.0 @ 103.6
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Road & Track[/B]]0–1320 ft (1/4 mile) 14.0 sec @ 101.8 mph
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Car And Driver][/B]Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 102 mph
    Nuff said.
    Last edited by INTA:LECT; 06-26-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

  16. #60
    Registered User Kanans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Waconia
    Posts
    18
    My friend's little brother just got a new white Cobalt SS. Its fast sure, but it still looks like a Cavalier...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •