Anybody race a turbo cobalt? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 85

This is a discussion on Anybody race a turbo cobalt? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sinister You'll never meet a FWD vehicle on street tires that would want to race from a ...

  1. #31
    Registered User ElBartoRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chester Co. PA
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You'll never meet a FWD vehicle on street tires that would want to race from a full stop. They know that your advantage is the AWD and that they'll have to be playing catch up the whole time.
    just like you will never meet an AWD car that will want to run from a 30 roll..
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,641
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    just like you will never meet an AWD car that will want to run from a 30 roll..
    The best way to race is at a strip. Exact numbers on paper is something that no one gets to argue with. They can only blame themselves or their car.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  4. #33
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    The 2008+ Cobalt SS's (turbo) are great cars for the money (although I am not a fan of FWD on fast cars). They will do 0-60 in about 5.6 and pull off around a 13.8 quarter mile. Any of the 2009+ WRX's or STI's will have very little problem beating this car in a drag race or on a roll (the WRX does 0-60 in 4.7 and quarter mile in 13.5). When getting up to 1 mile + lap races the Cobalt might start to have an advantage because of its 160 top speed. If you do have a 2009+ WRX race them all you want. If you have an earlier model turn down a dirt or gravel road and see what happens to the SS.

  5. #34
    zax
    zax is offline
    »\_(ツ)_/» zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,459
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    Any of the 2009+ WRX's or STI's will have very little problem beating this car in a drag race or on a roll (the WRX does 0-60 in 4.7 and quarter mile in 13.5). When getting up to 1 mile + lap races the Cobalt might start to have an advantage because of its 160 top speed. If you do have a 2009+ WRX race them all you want.


    Highly doubt it. The Cobalt trap speeds are higher (103-104 MPH stock). AWD and a 300lb weight addition are a hindrance to the WRX at speed. Not to mention the Cobalt puts out a flatter torque curve. There is no argument that the WRX will post a better time in the 1/4, however (0.3-0.5 second reduction in 60' definitely helps)
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  6. #35
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post


    Highly doubt it. The Cobalt trap speeds are higher (103-104 MPH stock). AWD and a 300lb weight addition are a hindrance to the WRX at speed. Not to mention the Cobalt puts out a flatter torque curve.
    ??? I guess you haven't read the numbers I just posted. There is no "doubt" involved. The 2009+ WRX has SIGNIFICANTLY better 0-60 and better quarter mile speed. I'll try to explain this to you slowly. If 1 car does the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds and another does it in 13.5 then the one that does it in 13.5 gets there (the end of 1 quarter of a mile) first. IE its "faster" for at least 1 quarter of a mile.

    2008 Cobalt SS -- http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

    2009 WRX-- http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n_changes.html
    Last edited by Chris Beasley; 06-25-2010 at 10:08 AM.

  7. #36
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,641
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    I'll try to explain this to you slowly.
    Your sarcasm is wasted, and you look like a royal ass when you're claiming someone else didn't read, when you in fact were the one that didn't pay attention.

    he put "from a roll" in bold. Read closer. He's contesting your idea that a WRX in stock form could beat a cobalt from a 30mph roll. There's no way in stock form that the WRX could beat a turbo SS from a roll in stock form. Just ain't happening.

    All your 1/4 mile times don't mean anything when you're starting at 30mph.

    There's a reason why every corvette, M3, MazdaSpeed3, cobalt ss, SRT-4, SRT-8, Camaro SS, Challenger SRT-8, etc. wants to race a WRX "from a roll"... All of those cars are very difficult to launch without a good driver, and the WRX only takes a mediocre driver to get off the line. Then at speed the AWD and weight of the WRX becomes a hindrance, and all of the above cars get an advantage. So "from a roll" any of the above should win. "From a dig" the 2010 WRX should beat any of the above cars with an average driver in them. That's another thing... "rolls" gets rid of the driver aspect. You don't have to be good at driving to slam the gas pedal to the floor. Now to launch properly all day long... that takes a good drag driver.
    Last edited by Sinister; 06-25-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  8. #37
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    he put "from a roll" in bold. Read closer. He's contesting your idea that a WRX in stock form could beat a cobalt from a 30mph roll. There's no way in stock form that the WRX could beat a turbo SS from a roll in stock form. Just ain't happening.
    Haha! Sorry, my apologies. He certainly has an argument there. I was busy reading what he wrote not what he edited in my quote. That being said. I had no problem beating a 2008 SS from a roll. Of course that could be chalked up to the driver of the SS.

  9. #38
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,641
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    Haha! Sorry, my apologies. He certainly has an argument there. I was busy reading what he wrote not what he edited in my quote. That being said. I had no problem beating a 2008 SS from a roll. Of course that could be chalked up to the driver of the SS.
    or more likely it could have to do with where in the powerband each of you started and at what speed, and where you ended your race. "In the end" a cobalt SS turbo stock for stock with a WRX will run out of juice later than a WRX and WILL ALWAYS WIN... it's just a matter of advantages.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  10. #39
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    or more likely it could have to do with where in the powerband each of you started and at what speed, and where you ended your race. "In the end" a cobalt SS turbo stock for stock with a WRX will run out of juice later than a WRX and WILL ALWAYS WIN... it's just a matter of advantages.
    Yeah it maintains over 200 ft lbs all the way to redline. Doesn't the SS have a 6 speed? I really prefer the 5 speed for 1st and 2nd in most 4 cyl turbos. I can get over 60 in 2 gears where a 6 speed has another shift. Obviously it doesn't matter in bigger engine cars with higher top speed... I was able to down shift to second in the circumstance I'm talking about.

  11. #40
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,641
    I Support ClubWRX
    okay
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  12. #41
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Your sarcasm is wasted, and you look like a royal ass when you're claiming someone else didn't read, when you in fact were the one that didn't pay attention.

    he put "from a roll" in bold. Read closer. He's contesting your idea that a WRX in stock form could beat a cobalt from a 30mph roll. There's no way in stock form that the WRX could beat a turbo SS from a roll in stock form. Just ain't happening.

    All your 1/4 mile times don't mean anything when you're starting at 30mph.

    There's a reason why every corvette, M3, MazdaSpeed3, cobalt ss, SRT-4, SRT-8, Camaro SS, Challenger SRT-8, etc. wants to race a WRX "from a roll"... All of those cars are very difficult to launch without a good driver, and the WRX only takes a mediocre driver to get off the line. Then at speed the AWD and weight of the WRX becomes a hindrance, and all of the above cars get an advantage. So "from a roll" any of the above should win. "From a dig" the 2010 WRX should beat any of the above cars with an average driver in them. That's another thing... "rolls" gets rid of the driver aspect. You don't have to be good at driving to slam the gas pedal to the floor. Now to launch properly all day long... that takes a good drag driver.
    Ok man. Don't start ****ing name calling. I think its very understandable that I might miss his point when the context completely rested on him bolding 3 words in a quote of me instead of writing "from a roll". Plus, my sarcasm was a response to the fact that instead of merely correcting my statement he insulted me with his "screwy" symbol. I think anyone who had misunderstood like I did (sorry I have a serious job so I can't always give my perfect attention to the thread) and was insulted on top of what they misunderstood would have responded with some sarcasm.

  13. #42
    zax
    zax is offline
    »\_(ツ)_/» zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,459
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beasley View Post
    Ok man. Don't start ****ing name calling. I think its very understandable that I might miss his point when the context completely rested on him bolding 3 words in a quote of me instead of writing "from a roll". Plus, my sarcasm was a response to the fact that instead of merely correcting my statement he insulted me with his "screwy" symbol. I think anyone who had misunderstood like I did (sorry I have a serious job so I can't always give my perfect attention to the thread) and was insulted on top of what they misunderstood would have responded with some sarcasm.
    lol sorry man I didn't intentionally mean to put you on the defense. I can see how you could misunderstand. In the end, forum posts just don't convey intentions all too well. I'm just a big bucket of love, come get some
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #43
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The best way to race is at a strip. Exact numbers on paper is something that no one gets to argue with. They can only blame themselves or their car.
    agreed its the only place a fwd can cut the same 60fts as awd cars. 1.7 60fts on slicks ftw.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  15. #44
    Registered User Chris Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    lol sorry man I didn't intentionally mean to put you on the defense. I can see how you could misunderstand. In the end, forum posts just don't convey intentions all too well. I'm just a big bucket of love, come get some
    Thanks man, its cool. I'm sorry about my temper...I'm of Irish descent.

  16. #45
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm just a big bucket of love, come get some
    I'm in. Can we add drews to the bucket too? With his 'stache?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •