07 WRX Stg2 -Vs- 09 WRX Stg2 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 07 WRX Stg2 -Vs- 09 WRX Stg2 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax The WRX TR is only 50 pounds less than the standard WRX, not sure where you ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The WRX TR is only 50 pounds less than the standard WRX, not sure where you came up with 300
    From what i've read the 06-07 tr is only 50lbs lighter than the 06-07 wrx..

we looked at the gvwr on his car and subtracted 800lbs (usually pretty close)

edmunds says manufacturer claim is 3229 for the 09+ wrx, edmunds weighed in at 3232.

so not quite 300lbs lol, they have my car at 3140lbs so it's less than 100lbs i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Where are you getting your numbers? they seem really high even for stage 2. Also i figured the 09+ would have more power at stage 2 unless you got a few other supporting mods.
    My bad, cobb claims 285bhp and 335tq with stage 2 on an 07.

they only have percentage increases for the 09 but 18% more hp and 25.2% more tq comes out to 312bhp and 305tq.

285hp 335tq
    -vs-
    312hp 305tq

the 07 has 27hp less but 30tq more than the 09 and weighs almost 100lbs lighter.

That's with the cobb tune on the 07 tho, i dunno what the bullwinkle tune puts out for BHP/TQ.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tenament View Post
    he was comparing the 09 WRX to his TR.

Are the '09s heavier than his sedan? Because I was under the impression the hatches/wagons were heavier by a scosh

(too lazy to wiki sorry)
    wiki says 3214 for the hatch
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by INTA:LECT View Post
    From what i've read the 06-07 tr is only 50lbs lighter than the 06-07 wrx..

we looked at the gvwr on his car and subtracted 800lbs (usually pretty close)

edmunds says manufacturer claim is 3229 for the 09+ wrx, edmunds weighed in at 3232.

so not quite 300lbs lol, they have my car at 3140lbs so it's less than 100lbs i guess.

My bad, cobb claims 285bhp and 335tq with stage 2 on an 07.

they only have percentage increases for the 09 but 18% more hp and 25.2% more tq comes out to 312bhp and 305tq.

285hp 335tq
    -vs-
    312hp 305tq

the 07 has 27hp less but 30tq more than the 09 and weighs almost 100lbs lighter.

That's with the cobb tune on the 07 tho, i dunno what the bullwinkle tune puts out for BHP/TQ.
    Taking a quick look at the numbers with the cobb stage 2 tune the cars should be putting around:

2007: 230HP / 270TQ to the wheels (-17%)

2009: 262hp / 259TQ to the wheels (-17%)

2007: 277hp / 327TQ to the fly

2009: 315hp / 312TQ to the fly

I still think your numbers are a little high and honestly we will never know unless both you guys go get dynoed at the same place.

Either way the cars seem pretty evenly matched and a full tank, extra passanger, trunk monkey... could all make a diffrence if there is only half a car length at the end of the race.

2007 wrx has a very impressive response to the stage 2 set up +48% TQ... wow.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be curious to see the result of a drag race. At first glance, I would rule in favor of the 09+, however numbers only tell a small portion of the story. Torque curves would be much better comparison. The TD04, with its smaller turbine design would likely spool earlier and provide full boost at lower RPMs than the VF52 giving the 2007 an advantage in the first few seconds of the race. Conversely, the 2009 with the VF52 would provide more top-end boost and explains the increase in power. I think we can all agree that my poor 2.0L with its poor torque dynamics would be the last to cross the line, despite its comparable 230whp stage 2 numbers.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Taking a quick look at the numbers with the cobb stage 2 tune the cars should be putting around:

2007: 230HP / 270TQ to the wheels (-17%)

2009: 262hp / 259TQ to the wheels (-17%)

2007: 277hp / 327TQ to the fly

2009: 315hp / 312TQ to the fly

I still think your numbers are a little high and honestly we will never know unless both you guys go get dynoed at the same place.

Either way the cars seem pretty evenly matched and a full tank, extra passanger, trunk monkey... could all make a diffrence if there is only half a car length at the end of the race.

2007 wrx has a very impressive response to the stage 2 set up +48% TQ... wow.
    I'm only re-posting what cobb claims, their website says 285BHP 335TQ (BHP=Flywheel numbers) for the 07.

they don't have numbers for the 09 but they claim 18% more hp and 25.2% more tq, i got the numbers for the 09 by doing the math.

17% drivetrain loss is pretty low for an AWD car, FWD cars lose around 15-18%.

we'll use the 02-03 wrx as an example... rated at 227bhp, dyno's around 170whp

that's a 57hp loss from crank to wheels... do the math on that and you get 25.2% drivetrain loss (On the high end, 25.1% on the low end).
    Last edited by INTA:LECT; 06-29-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'd be curious to see the result of a drag race. At first glance, I would rule in favor of the 09+, however numbers only tell a small portion of the story. Torque curves would be much better comparison. The TD04, with its smaller turbine design would likely spool earlier and provide full boost at lower RPMs than the VF52 giving the 2007 an advantage in the first few seconds of the race. Conversely, the 2009 with the VF52 would provide more top-end boost and explains the increase in power. I think we can all agree that my poor 2.0L with its poor torque dynamics would be the last to cross the line, despite its comparable 230whp stage 2 numbers.
    Yeah i'd like to get a good run in with him... It might be helping that i'm running the bullwinkle tune and not the cobb tune too.

here in the next couple weeks imma get a better tune for this altitude from a guy up in denver... should be pretty stout then.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Yeah i'd like to get a good run in with him... It might be helping that i'm running the bullwinkle tune and not the cobb tune too.

here in the next couple weeks imma get a better tune for this altitude from a guy up in denver... should be pretty stout then.
    Off topic... Voted for ya.

Off topic... Voted for ya.
    LOL... good look
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

came across something... maybe this has something to do with my car keeping up with that 09.

How do you tell what gearset you have?
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

came across something... maybe this has something to do with my car keeping up with that 09.

How do you tell what gearset you have?
    Not sure what the ra's final drive is but I'm pretty sure it's 4.11. I'd that were the case first gear would be pretty usless. Maybe ra's with the stock pinion. Even still your numbers are off and I don't see this typically happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Not sure what the ra's final drive is but I'm pretty sure it's 4.11. I'd that were the case first gear would be pretty usless. Maybe ra's with the stock pinion. Even still your numbers are off and I don't see this typically happening.
    Final drive on the RA's is same as stock 3.9.

the charts shows a lower 1st gear and higher 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th gears.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Put a VF39 on your WRX - and you will blow the doors off the 09 stage 2. For $400 more (used on ebay) - you will walk the WRX that cost $1000s more.

All that said - all the subaru owners I have met are all pretty great, so I only offer the above in good fun.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

My input to this thread is stop trying to compare numbers from 2 different year cars running two different OTS Cobb/Perrin stage 2 maps on two VERY different turbos. Every car responds differently do an OTS map. Just because Cobb posts numbers on their website, does not mean those numbers are what every car will make on their OTS tune.

I will tell you from first hand experience that a properly pro-tuned stage 2 09 WRX, will hand a Cobb/Perrin 09 stage 2 OTS map its but.

I put down 302 ft/lbs awtq and 269 awhp on Perrins stage 2 OTS CAI map. After i got tuned at 20 psi i put down 346 ft/lbs awtq and 290 awhp. Thats a huge increase just from a real good tune. Stock intercooler too.

OP you were pulling on him most likely because you are a little lighter and driver skills.
    Last edited by Liquidr1; 07-02-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

nvmind.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

i could be wrong but doesn't the 08 wrx have the same engine and turbo as a 07 wrx?

so, if the statement above is true a stage 2 08 wrx will keep up no problem with a 09 stage 2?

i could be wrong but i find that really hard to believe because a lot of 08's on 3gwrx.com throw the 09 turbo on there car for a reason.

but i agree with the guy below me there is no use in comparing the two cars just have fun with them and go to a track to see if you want to see who's is faster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.