Bugeye vs. 350Z... from a dig :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bugeye vs. 350Z... from a dig :) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all... just thought I'd share my experience with a very sexy 350Z last night. Stock 2002 WRX with gutted ...

Bugeye vs. 350Z... from a dig :)

Hey all... just thought I'd share my experience with a very sexy 350Z last night.

Stock 2002 WRX with gutted uppipe

vs.

late year (latest body-style before the 370) 350Z with ???? mods

I see this zed rolling through traffic... weaving in and out of cars. Cute, I think to myself. A few lights later and, well, let's just say I found a way to be neck and neck with him.

I don't race, ever. I have never raced on my R6 and I certainly never raced in my first vehicle, which was a '99 Jeep Cherokee. So this is important... he revv's the beast next to me and something inside of me just seemed to flick the 'fcuk it' switch.

Light turns green. Both of us launch forward, and from the dig, I'm screaming forward, pushing a car length and some change or so away. However as my wonderfully thought-out transmission pushes towards the tail end of second gear, I no longer am pulling away from the Zed. Into third gear I go, peeking at my passenger mirror- Zed's creepin up on me... fourth gear, we're trading places...

I never hit fifth gear because I decided that triple digits aren't exactly why I made the move over from a bike to my wonderful subie.

I got a lot of respect for Nissan. They make fine cars, and I enjoy how their cars are driven by the same type of passion and love that Subarus are built with. It was really nice to know my little 2 liter 5-speed ran with a zed until fourth gear.

Oh yeah, and at the next light, the dude cracks the window (deep tint) and throws a wave and a smile... I throw one back and part our ways. Gotta love mutual respect.

Anyone race these beauties? They sure do have mean exhaust notes. This one did anyway.
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tenament View Post
    Anyone race these beauties?
    Most 350z's in my area don't bother me or don't want to run. The funny thing is, many douches driving stock G35 coupes always mess around with me though. I don't even know why. Most of the time I just mind my own business, and then I see a G35 coupe coming up fast behind me and start tailgating me. It's quite annoying. Then I gotta waste extra gas smoking them by a couple bus lengths, from a roll

I really want to run a 370z though. But haven't seen many in my area.

I had a g35 coupe for a while that I was gonna buy. I was out in the middle of nowhere out by the airport and I saw either an 04 or 05 sti. We raced from a roll doing about 30mph, the G held it down pretty good till about half way through 2nd and he was gone...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

i wonder which one is faster with stock form, 350z,g35,or the wrx(not STI)?

Quote Originally Posted by zeeboy View Post
    The 350 z is then the G35 (more weight) then WRX (can pull nice on them with light mods and good luanch)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Depends what year for them all. 09 wrx will win everytime roll or dig stock for stock. My 02 beats 350s with exhaust with ease, because noone around can drive their car.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.dragtimes.com/

your answer is only a few searches away...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So your low 14 sec WRX kept up with a low 13 sec 350z? HMM, I think the 350z owner doesn't know how to drive his car properly. The " late year" 350z, aka the 07-08, runs between 13.1-13.3. Even if you were mistaken in what year the 350z was, the slowest 350z made still ran 14.0-13.9 which is still faster than a 02 WRX.

before you brag you should know what you are racing. There is a difference between beating someone because your car is faster and beating them because they suck at driving. Car for car the 350z of any year is superior to the 02 WRX, even with a gutted up-pipe.

I'm sure I'll get flammed for this but I see all too often people not knowing the facts of the cars they race.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    before you brag you should know what you are racing. There is a difference between beating someone because your car is faster and beating them because they suck at driving
    From a dig, the WRX should SPANK the 350z through second and midway through third (in a roll, of course, the tables are turned). Perhaps it is YOU that should know your cars. Evidently you are not aware that AWD has a major advantage in launching. Typical 60' on a 350z is around 2.1 sec. Typical 60' on a stock 2002 WRX is around 1.5 sec.

... not that I would EVER aggressively launch my WRX like this... I'd rather wave goodbye to the Z passing me than shred my gears.

Car for car the 350z of any year is superior to the 02 WRX, even with a gutted up-pipe.
    My friend wasn't saying this, when my 2003 WRX pulled his 2007 350Z from the side of a snow bank. You are attempting to compare two entirely different genres. Different price ranges as well (350z = $30-35K, WRX = $24-28K) How does your 350z compare to a Dodge Ram 1500?
    Last edited by zax; 06-09-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Facebook me here

i dont think the typical 60' of a stock 02 is 1.5 sec...

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbox13 View Post
    i dont think the typical 60' of a stock 02 is 1.5 sec...
    The time did seem a little on the low side, but a few examples

http://www.dragtimes.com/Subaru-Impr...slip-5623.html
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Subaru-Impr...slip-6826.html

The second example is stage 1, but shouldn't make much of a difference on the 60'. Either way, all 60' ET were under 2 seconds for a 2002 WRX

Facebook me here

I'm fully aware of the advantage of AWD in a launch. I've been in the car world a long time and had expirence with various different types of cars. While the WRX will be faster off the line by 3rd gear the 350z should be passing the WRX easily. The 1/4mile times speak for themselves and judging by the OP he stated he was near tripple digits when he let off. That should be it was nearly a full 1/4 mile race that was run.

Lastly, I never said I own a 350z and I never have. I actually own a 280z, 300zx, and 370z. Used to own a 06 WRX before it was totalled by a Tacoma truck and would have gotten an STI to replace it had it not been for the fact that subaru didn't increase power by 2010. Still looking at the new 2011 STI sedan but we'll see. I'm fully aware that the 350z and WRX are two different segments of cars but the fact still remains that the 350z is a better performance vehicle.

I digress here as I know there is no winning the argument. Facts are facts and numbers speak for themselves. Just trying to edcuate people since clearly there are so many on this forum who don't know anything outside of the Subaru platform.

zax
    but the fact still remains that the 350z is a better performance vehicle.
    ask Stig Blomqvist which is the better "performance vehicle"

Just trying to edcuate people since clearly there are so many on this forum who don't know anything outside of the Subaru platform.
    Tell me, do you earn a paycheck for this, professor. Or are you educating us out of the goodness of your heart?

EDIT: Yes, the VQ35DE is a more potent engine (lacks a little on the torque side, though) than the EJ20T. The 50:50 weight distribution is ideal for drifting and reducing understeer. The 3500+ lb curb weight is ... annoying... but does a good job in keeping the car firmly planted -- plus it's not like any Fairlady Z has been a "light" car since the outgoing 280z. The engine sits nearly behind the front struts, which helps keep the weight out of the corners of the car. Place a couple of blowers on the VQ35, and Z will be a FAR better drag car than any WRX can offer. I do know the facts. However, I find it fairly irritating that you are slapping a title like "blah blah blah is a better car in every way" when you are obviously lumping the sun and the moon into the same category. You want to have a little fun in the snow? Don't choose the Z. You want to haul some furniture? Don't choose the Z. You want to take your girlfriend AND her parents out to dinner? Take one WRX, or two 350zs. Catch my drift?
    Last edited by zax; 06-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Facebook me here

story sounds very believable. wrx cuts a 1.8 60ft on the street the z gets a bad launch and is over a half second behind before the 1st gear change. then slowly reals him in and would pass it right at the quarter mile. i don't see the problem.

just for reference when i had a 02 wrx it went 13.9@96 mph. stock. then shortly after that it went to subaru for a new transmission. but none the less.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

So your low 14 sec WRX kept up with a low 13 sec 350z? HMM, I think the 350z owner doesn't know how to drive his car properly. The " late year" 350z, aka the 07-08, runs between 13.1-13.3. Even if you were mistaken in what year the 350z was, the slowest 350z made still ran 14.0-13.9 which is still faster than a 02 WRX.

before you brag you should know what you are racing. There is a difference between beating someone because your car is faster and beating them because they suck at driving. Car for car the 350z of any year is superior to the 02 WRX, even with a gutted up-pipe.

I'm sure I'll get flammed for this but I see all too often people not knowing the facts of the cars they race.
    My 2010 WRX will kick the ass of any stock 350z and get real close to a 370 (same 0-60, .2 seconds behind on the quarter mile). I think with the benefits that come with an AWD Subie I'd take it over a 370 anytime. Actually, that's exactly what I did when I bought my Subie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.