GTI More Sophisticated? Really? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on GTI More Sophisticated? Really? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I traded in the 03 VW Jetta 1.8T (Mk4) for the 2011 WRX. My take... My VW was heavily modded ...

I traded in the 03 VW Jetta 1.8T (Mk4) for the 2011 WRX. My take... My VW was heavily modded with suspension parts and had the powertrain bolt-ons, for what it's worth.

VW pros:
    1) As many time as it's been said, the interior is amazing for the money. I had black leather in mine, the cloth was tight and well drawn everywhere else, and the plastics felt soft but heavy and purposeful.
    2) Lots of torque with boltons. Was incredible to handle on smooth roads. (Could be attributed to mods.)
    3) Sound system was amazing. Monsoon I miss.
    4) Reserved style. I could go anywhere in that car. It looked sporty enough, but also racy enough.
    5) It was reliable. I beat the living **** out of that car for 100k miles and it rarely ever had a problem.
    VW cons:
    1) In order to get the good handling the ride had to be stiffened to the point of unenjoyability.
    2) FWD couldn't put the 250+ftlbs of torque down well at all.
    3) Tiny turbo was blowing fumes at higher boost. (Wasn't a smart car to modify.)
    4) Couldn't go ANYWHERE in bad weather. Horrible in moderate rain and up, forget about it in the snow.

I've only had my '11 WRX for a month and 1000 miles now.

Pros:
    1) Fast. Coming from the VW, the AWD, 265hp, and great gearbox are all wonderful things to spend your paycheck on.
    2) I can get to work in the bad weather. That's huge to me.
    3) Car has more potential to modify but less glaring need for it.
    4) Interior is not bad at all. I quite like it actually. The plastics feel a bit lighter/more toyish than the VWs and I have cloth, not leather, but I feel very good about the interior and sound system. Probably 80% as nice as the VWs.
    5) Hatchback. Very nice utility to have, and looks like a space pod. (Mine is black.)
    6) Just a good fit. I wanted utility, performance, ability to modify, all-weather reliability. I didn't want to be PAYING for the leather, supreme sound, cloth, etc... I feel like my car payment is going toward what I want now.

Cons:
    1) Fuel consumption is, by comparison, piss poor.
    2) Looks like a spaceship to some. Don't really care, so it's a small con.
    3) I feel that the clutch/gas is a bit out to lunch and not very communicative.
    4) The power seems very absent below 4k, where as the VW would pull from 2.5 grand. Rev range is somewhat more peaky. Probably fixable with a tune.

That's how I see it so far. I'm glad I made the switch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seauxthern_dead View Post
    I traded in the 03 VW Jetta 1.8T (Mk4) for the 2011 WRX. My take... My VW was heavily modded with suspension parts and had the powertrain bolt-ons, for what it's worth.

VW pros:
    1) As many time as it's been said, the interior is amazing for the money. I had black leather in mine, the cloth was tight and well drawn everywhere else, and the plastics felt soft but heavy and purposeful.
    2) Lots of torque with boltons. Was incredible to handle on smooth roads. (Could be attributed to mods.)
    3) Sound system was amazing. Monsoon I miss.
    4) Reserved style. I could go anywhere in that car. It looked sporty enough, but also racy enough.
    5) It was reliable. I beat the living **** out of that car for 100k miles and it rarely ever had a problem.
    VW cons:
    1) In order to get the good handling the ride had to be stiffened to the point of unenjoyability.
    2) FWD couldn't put the 250+ftlbs of torque down well at all.
    3) Tiny turbo was blowing fumes at higher boost. (Wasn't a smart car to modify.)
    4) Couldn't go ANYWHERE in bad weather. Horrible in moderate rain and up, forget about it in the snow.

I've only had my '11 WRX for a month and 1000 miles now.

Pros:
    1) Fast. Coming from the VW, the AWD, 265hp, and great gearbox are all wonderful things to spend your paycheck on.
    2) I can get to work in the bad weather. That's huge to me.
    3) Car has more potential to modify but less glaring need for it.
    4) Interior is not bad at all. I quite like it actually. The plastics feel a bit lighter/more toyish than the VWs and I have cloth, not leather, but I feel very good about the interior and sound system. Probably 80% as nice as the VWs.
    5) Hatchback. Very nice utility to have, and looks like a space pod. (Mine is black.)
    6) Just a good fit. I wanted utility, performance, ability to modify, all-weather reliability. I didn't want to be PAYING for the leather, supreme sound, cloth, etc... I feel like my car payment is going toward what I want now.

Cons:
    1) Fuel consumption is, by comparison, piss poor.
    2) Looks like a spaceship to some. Don't really care, so it's a small con.
    3) I feel that the clutch/gas is a bit out to lunch and not very communicative.
    4) The power seems very absent below 4k, where as the VW would pull from 2.5 grand. Rev range is somewhat more peaky. Probably fixable with a tune.

That's how I see it so far. I'm glad I made the switch.
    Objective, and FWIW it only gets better, especially your #4 con... just wait until you AP it .

I felt the same way, powerwise, but knew it to be Subaru's stock tuning... kind of crazy really, emissions compliance that is scary when you know what's going on. Big time difference with just Cobb Stg1, but total change with the Stg1+AEM.

After reviewing the VW myself I fell back on what I knew, Subaru. Absolutely happy with mine now with a couple mods, only 1200 miles on it but feel like it has been mine a lot longer.

You didn't mention handling, something a friend touts as so great on the VW he plans to get. It may be the absence of opportunity to exploit the WRX's handling that gets that facet left from some of the reviews, but handle well it does. Not just that, but it is surprisingly more compliant on surface streets than I ever expected. It handles great in the twisties and is smooth on uneven pavement... win win.

The VW deserves its rep, after all if it weren't for it the motoring world would be a different place. They changed everything. But for me, Subaru, who has done some changing of the automotive world itself.

I traded in the 03 VW Jetta 1.8T (Mk4) for the 2011 WRX
    same here man.. i owned two jettas.. i will always love a nice vw..im hooked for life...

and the new gti was second to the wrx on my car wish list..

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG... but fifth gear had a track race between the gti and the wrx.... the gti won by 1-2 seconds.....imo awd is slower on a dry track and fwd wont produce alot of understeer unless the fwd car is overpowered.

2011 gti interior wipes the floor with what every subby can offer..

but i also have tons of repect for jettas gtis and r32..dont hate
    "He knows two facts about ducks,.. and both of them are false" - Jeremy Clarkson

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gnarl View Post
    same here man.. i owned two jettas.. i will always love a nice vw..im hooked for life...

and the new gti was second to the wrx on my car wish list..

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG... but fifth gear had a track race between the gti and the wrx.... the gti won by 1-2 seconds.....imo awd is slower on a dry track and fwd wont produce alot of understeer unless the fwd car is overpowered.

2011 gti interior wipes the floor with what every subby can offer..

but i also have tons of repect for jettas gtis and r32..dont hate
    I think the majority of the people on this forum recognize and give credit where credit is due. I will tell you that for long drives that I would much rather have a GTI or almost any other german sports car...but for track days and just a fun, raw driving driving vehicle...I'll take my WRX any day of the week
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I think the majority of the people on this forum recognize and give credit where credit is due. I will tell you that for long drives that I would much rather have a GTI or almost any other german sports car...but for track days and just a fun, raw driving driving vehicle...I'll take my WRX any day of the week
    +2
    see folks... we all can live under one roof
    "He knows two facts about ducks,.. and both of them are false" - Jeremy Clarkson

I have always liked VWs. When my wife and I were deciding what car to buy to replace the Jeep, the biggest thing that we wanted was AWD. I drive from our house in Littleton, Colorado to Ft Carson in Colorado Springs for work. Driving over Monument Pass during a snowstorm can be a nightmare unless you have all 4 wheels spinning. I had a FWD car with snow tires on all 4 wheels and it was still hard to get up the hill a few times. To get AWD out of a VW or Audi, we would be spending about 5K more than we are paying for the WRX.

I have test driven a few newer (07-08) GTIs. I definitely feel that it is geared towards more comfort and feels quite a bit more civilized then the WRX. The WRX just has the extra oomph i wanted though and the very basics that i need, i can do without the extra stuff they put in the GTI.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234