GTI More Sophisticated? Really? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on GTI More Sophisticated? Really? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Willard Funny timing. I was actually considering trading the WRX for a VW product. Looking at a ...

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Funny timing. I was actually considering trading the WRX for a VW product. Looking at a diesel Jetta. Love my subie, but increased CA taxes, increased license fees and readjusted insurance premiums got me wanting out of this car.

I like the looks of the GTI, but I couldnt trade the wrx in on one, the HP loss alone would kill me. Now, trading a performance car in on something that isnt performance oriented would be fine. Cant lower the standard within a category, switching categories altogether would be fine. Odd I know..
    I think you will get bored by switching categories. :\

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe not. I have an Impreza, a 2-seater, a 3-row SUV, and a 5-door low-powered family hatch. I could happily drive any one of them permanently, without access to any of the others. There are things I like in each of them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have to weigh in here, more for lack of work on my desk I want to do
    I had a GTI way back when they were first called that - the old Rabbit design only sports car upgraded looks. Well, engine too. Although mine had somewhere around .20" shaved off the head - long story short, friend's wife warped the head and he gave me the car in pieces.....
    Anyway, I had to think about it when I got my new 10 WRX, I looked at the GTI and liked it. Snobby with a touch of poor college kid kind of interior. The only three things that kept me from getting it was the complicated clutch system (too many parts to go bad IMO), the lack of AWD and the Subi longevity. It was easier on my back and arms than the wrx, but I still remember the go for ever roos I have had. My first one was an 82 2 dr hatch, I sold it with 280K miles on it, the lady I sold it to sold it to someone else with 400k miles on it 7 yrs later.... One distributor, carb and axle boots.....

Yeah, people like to pick sides on most issues, but it just wastes time and tosses away what could be friendships over something stupid....IMO

Most fun car I owned for the money was an 1985 GTI. Motor trend car of the year. I drove my buddies '96 or so GTI VR6 and was not impressed at all. I was actually looking forward to it because he wasn't going to be in the car No fun to drive IMO. I also owned a '90's Jetta GLI. Electrical problem nightmare.
    Last edited by Nigel79; 06-04-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    '09 Sti

Nigel, mine had a hitch on it for pulling my 3 wheeler trailer. I didn't have to gear down in the mountains from all that compression... It was insanely fast for non turbo and was really one of the top 3 funnest cars I drove out of the 38+ I've owned.
    It handled amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by gastoys View Post
    In my opinion the Subaru is truly the winner in the mature and sophisticated area. The GTI sports an inline 4 cylinder engine that is the same technology design that can be found in a $9k KIA. What is so “sophisticated” about an inline 4 banger? Why is it that Honda can produce the same HP numbers as the GTI with their inline 4 cylinder, but VW can only achieve those numbers with a TURBO? Let’s see WRX HP = 265, GTI = 200.
    Well for starters you trying to compare a 2.0T vs a 2.5T. Displacement is proportional to horsepower. As a rough order of magnitude estimate you could scale up the GTI's horsepower. Doing so would net the GTI approximately 250hp (think in terms of HP per liter). If memory serves me correctly, that's at lower boost than the rex. I'd say they are quite on par with each other.

Current gen wrx's are on par in maturity compared to the GTI. I wouldn't say the same for older gen's though.

Your rant is pointless though. Only person that needs to care about this is the person buying the car. In which case they will buy the car they feel is best.

Quote Originally Posted by 11wrx View Post
    Well for starters
    How do you drag a nearly 6 month old thread back to life with that statement?

I agree with your other points though ^_^

Now, I didn't read all of this, but I read the first page. I wouldn't really call either more "sophisticated", but they certainly both have their benefits. My friend has an 03 GTI VR6, I have an 03 WRX Wagon. They are completely different animals- Mine feels connected to the road, the shifter feels very mechanical, you can really feel the clutch, and the acceleration is just SAVAGE. His, the steering, clutch, and shifter all feel very light, disconnected, no feed back...but that 6 speed is an awesome transmission, and every gear is right where you want it. Not to mention, despite that fact, his completely stock GTI will outhandle my wrx with the hybrid ej255 swap, full turbo back exhaust, anti-roll bars, and lowered, stiffened suspension. And while his acceleration isn't savage, it's very smooth, and is pretty quick considering how well he keeps up with me and my mods- which is to say, he only drops back about a car length for every six seconds, which is pretty nice compared to what most do next to my wrx. Which would I take? To be honest, the wrx. The seats, while they don't look as good, are more comfortable. Well, the front ones anyway. His back seats are far more comfortable. And he gets better gas mileage. But, then, he also has a 2.8L VR6 engine, I have a 2.5 H-4. The only deciding factor for me is I love the boxer rumble, and I like my cars to feel connected to the road- even if his disconnected one will outhandle mine by a long shot. They are two different animals, apples and oranges. May like one better, but you can't definitively say which is better, just which you enjoy more.

The disambiguation of "sophisticated" seems to be confusing you. They are clearly not describing the engine and drive train as sophisticated. Most people don't give a **** about engine technology or performance and only buy cars based on status and image.

Apples and oranges for the most part, but one thing is certain, the Subie line in general is a MUCH more reliable line of cars. The TSI numbers in the industry prove it...

If you wanna start getting on about "quality" (& opinion), why do Volkswagen interiors & options start falling apart at around 40k miles? Why do they rattle & shake at 50k? Why do parts cost so much more (even ones from the same manufacturer?)

Personally, I haven't liked the interior on a GTI in about 15 years. Is there really a difference between what the promoters of German cars call "spartan" and "cheap"? I know the Subie's interior isn't considered to be on par with the German cars in the same price range & I'm not really saying they are, but sprinkling a little leather in an otherwise pedestrian looking enclosure just doesn't do it for me. I think the WRX gives me just what I need, without excess. Yeah, there's a little more plastic. Big Deal. It isn't a Benz...

I feel the VWs have gotten "fat", they've lost the focus the GTI was loved for by "true drivers". As previously mentioned, they're "disconnected" from the road. Are they a little more composed on a roadcourse? Maybe. Funny thing is, I don't see new GTIs being raced, but I DO see new WRXs at road courses, autocrosses & the drag strip. The only newer VW's I see at those venues are in the "show & shine" or the parking lot. Hmmm...

The WRX is the first car I've driven since my '00 Civic Si that has that unqualifiable "something" that us enthusiasts really crave.

In terms of perceived "sophistication", I don't see the WRX as trying to be sophisticated. It's more of a get it done, performance first with just enough creature comforts to add to the day-to-day drive. If I wanted something "cushier", I may have just bought the GTI.

In terms of comparing overall performance between the WRX & the GTI, you can't. One isn't better than the other. They're targeted & focused differently. IMO the only thing VW has had recently that is comparable in both basic concept & engineering is the R32, & even it doesn't stack up. Especialy for the additional $$$.

Just my $.02.

Tommy
    Last edited by LS6 Tommy; 11-26-2010 at 07:42 AM.

I'd definitely call a GTI more refined, sophisticated, and whatever else you want to call it. That's what you get for that money.

When it comes to power, edge to Subaru. When it comes to handling, the FWD loses out to the AWD. Now if we're talking an R32, that's a little different story, but even more money than a GTI.

VW makes some of the finest interiors for the money you can buy. Anybody who thinks differently has never owned one or is just full of BS and unfairly biased.

Both are great cars. For my money, I'd take the Subaru because of the higher power and great AWD, plus I'm not a fan of hatchbacks. But I'd love to have a VW interior in a Subaru any day.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
    In terms of perceived "sophistication", I don't see the WRX as trying to be sophisticated. It's more of a get it done, performance first with just enough creature comforts to add to the day-to-day drive. If I wanted something "cushier", I may have just bought the GTI.

Tommy
    ^ THIS!! Well said man!! Well said indeed.

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I have a friend that just loves VW, they really are nice cars. But I'll stick to my Subie!! I just can't have the same amount of fun in a family car

Quote Originally Posted by monchis View Post
    I have a friend that just loves VW, they really are nice cars. But I'll stick to my Subie!! I just can't have the same amount of fun in a family car
    Just do what I did buy both, I love my 05 WRX and my 2010 GTI. I just won't mod my GTI and trust me my tuner wants to.
    Last edited by Ventura'sWRX; 11-27-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee

Blobeye Syndicate Member #72

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

But I'd love to have a VW interior in a Subaru any day.
    Funny you mention this, I'm working on it.

Steering wheel because the GTI's is one of the best I ever felt.
    http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Prov...-STI-2008-2011

To work on the cheap look of the center console on the 05.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2021649

As for the radio, the GTI's is a touch screen with navigation.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700AVN4...tp=20212&avf=N
    I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee

Blobeye Syndicate Member #72

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast