GTI More Sophisticated? Really? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on GTI More Sophisticated? Really? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; the vw/ audi group make some awesome cars. expensive to fix but still awesome. no reason to hate them. even ...

the vw/ audi group make some awesome cars. expensive to fix but still awesome. no reason to hate them.

even as a subaru owner i would say that a GTI or any VW will make you look more mature than driving a wrx or sti. People see our cars as kids cars for the most part. But if you like your subaru who cares what others think.
    '04 Aspen White WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've always looked at the only difference between "luxury" cars and your normal car as basically leather and a few other options as well as a softer suspention. I don't see why people are so apt to go purchase luxury cars due to their huge drop in value. My uncle has a range rover (huge POS mechanically) and he tried to trade it in after 1.5 years of ownership and he was under in the value by about 25K. The engine, transmission, and T-case went out within the 1st year of ownership. This shouldn't happen if you fork over around 60K + for a car IMO...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    I've always looked at the only difference between "luxury" cars and your normal car as basically leather and a few other options as well as a softer suspention.
    I disagree. There is a huge difference in the interior quality of a luxury vehicle when comparing it to an econobox like a WRX or STI even when equipped with leather. Door and other interior panels are covered with leather or are made of a higher quality material, there is significantly more sound and vibration insulation, and the interior is more durable. I really like my WRX but the truth of the matter is it is a rattle trap. It has countless interior rattles--when going over bumps, from the SPT exhaust, and even on a smooth road the dash has a rattle that I can't pin down.

I know someone with a 2005 S4 and the difference is significant--it has a firm ride just like my WRX but there are no rattles and it is really quiet. Also his car his about 50,000 miles on it and the interior looks like new whereas my car is already showing minor signs of wear at 5,000 miles and I take good care of it.

Again, I'm not trashing on Subarus but they are focusing on a different market than luxury manufacturers. No worries here. I wanted a utilitarian car with decent performance without breaking the bank and Subaru fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I disagree. There is a huge difference in the interior quality of a luxury vehicle when comparing it to an econobox like a WRX or STI even when equipped with leather. Door and other interior panels are covered with leather or are made of a higher quality material, there is significantly more sound and vibration insulation, and the interior is more durable. I really like my WRX but the truth of the matter is it is a rattle trap. It has countless interior rattles--when going over bumps, from the SPT exhaust, and even on a smooth road the dash has a rattle that I can't pin down.

I know someone with a 2005 S4 and the difference is significant--it has a firm ride just like my WRX but there are no rattles and it is really quiet. Also his car his about 50,000 miles on it and the interior looks like new whereas my car is already showing minor signs of wear at 5,000 miles and I take good care of it.

Again, I'm not trashing on Subarus but they are focusing on a different market than luxury manufacturers. No worries here. I wanted a utilitarian car with decent performance without breaking the bank and Subaru fit the bill.
    I wasn't trying to compair subaru to other luxury makes, I was talking more about for an example a chevy tahoe and a cadaliac escalade. Same motor and drivetrain, yet about a 10-20K difference in the pricetag... yes the cadi has better interrior quailty and a better ride, but why drop the extra cash for a car that does the same thing. You can load the tahoe up just like the cadi for about 10K less...
    As for my uncle with the range rover he spent around 70ish for an suv and 2 years down the road its worth half of what he paid for it...
    Not really a good deal IMO...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I'll keep my 09 Si coupe over a GTI any day. If I had the money to choose between a WRX and a GTI, it would be the rex all day long. In my opinion both cars are on the same level as far as styling goes, but they are both just different. TRUTHFULLY, I do like the GTI's interior slightly better. However, who needs fancy blue lights when you can have a better performing car hands down?

Rex owners, don't be offended by GTI vs WRX reviews. You know you have the better vehicle. At least as far as performance goes.
    Last edited by ProZach626; 06-03-2010 at 09:48 AM.

1 thing I do love about VW's peak tqe at 2000rpm's freaking awesome!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    crap, I had a bunch of stuff typed, and IE failed me. I'm not retyping it.

Cliff Notes:
    Honda does make more HP, but less torque. My WRX, when making 300hp, was 296Tq..
    My Honda Civic with GSR swap, and a T04E turbo kit, made 310whp, but a scant 202 Tq, IIRC..
    The Civic turbo got 35-36mpg, where my wrx was mid-high 20s, at best.

My VW Jetta GLI 16V ('92) was an absolute blast to drive, even with a miniscule 135hp. Almost as much fun as the WRX, even in the twisties. The Civic was awesome in a straight line.. but that's about it.
    My Rabbit GTI 1.8L 8V at 90hp was, BY FAR, more fun to drive on the twisties, than nearly anything I've ever owned. And I've owned a few homoligated cars in my 40+ yrs ('83 Audi Ur-Quattro, '91 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo, Calloway Mk1 Scirocco, '94 Audi Ur-S6, etc.

I like a lot of different car brands/models, for varying reasons.
    sometimes, I wouldn't give a particular car a 2nd look, due to some historical reasoning (german electrical, etc.) but upon opening my eyes a little wider, I can find issues like that with any make/model.

So, I kinda see what you're saying, kinda..

Take 3 of the same years (all base models): Impreza, Civic, Golf.
    Just open/close the door on all three, and listen/feel.. Tell me which is more 'solid-feeling', or 'better-built'..
    Sit in the seat. which feels more comfortable? which do you think would be less stressful on your body after, say, a 500mi road trip?

Just sayin..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Normally I do not like posting in threads like this, but considering one of my good buddies has a 09 GTI and I have a 10 REX I think I can make an exception. I have driven the GTI MANY times and it is a very good car! Honestly in my opinion it lives up to the hype that everyone gives it. Sure it isn't the fastest in a straight line, or even in the corners, but that isn't what the car is about. Ever since the GTI came into existence it was solely made to be a cool/fun car that ANYONE could afford and drive. Now, sure people might not see it is a "cool" car, but that is subjective and a matter of opinion. I think my WRX is a "cool" car, hence why I own one! As far as any type of "sophistication" that is mentioned, he has APR stage 1 on his dub. Yes, I realize this is not stock, but making 265hp and getting 32mpg is far better than my 265hp and 23mpg...that is not debatable. Sure, it is to the front wheels only, but honestly, if you use your car as a DD, AWD vs FWD vs RWD is 8 times out of 10 a moot point in my opinion. Every car has an advantage over another car. Be it price, personal styling choice, AWD, FWD, RWD, interior fit and finish, sound it makes, these are all relevant when buying a car. OP might not find the GTI attractive, or that it is "inferior" in some way to our WRX's, but I feel that that is just a matter of opinion. Would I own a GTI? No, probably not. But I will say that I respect it for what it is, and what it has represented over it's history.
    Stink-Eye Member #83
    2010 WRX Hatch Limited, Obsidian Black Pearl with Sports Grille
    Tinted windows/tails, TurboXS CBE

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't trying to compair subaru to other luxury makes, I was talking more about for an example a chevy tahoe and a cadaliac escalade. Same motor and drivetrain, yet about a 10-20K difference in the pricetag... yes the cadi has better interrior quailty and a better ride, but why drop the extra cash for a car that does the same thing. You can load the tahoe up just like the cadi for about 10K less...
    As for my uncle with the range rover he spent around 70ish for an suv and 2 years down the road its worth half of what he paid for it...
    Isn't that kinda the same as buying a WRX vs. RS?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Yeah, I often go out on a tangent with the whole Subaru vs. luxury cars topic. I also don't think they are a good deal but it makes sense when considering there are many out there who make crazy amounts of money and don't car about saving a couple bucks and/or want to flaunt their wealth (or debt?) with their car.

I've driven and owned both varieties

I think the wrx IS more of a raw enthusiasts car when compared to the more civilized Golf. The lackluster (though functional) interior and rattles are a textbook character trait of a car that is designed to kick ass.. not kiss it.

The vw on the other hand is a smooth docile machine with nice manors. These two machines are not intended for the same demographic and therefore should not be directly compared.

Anyone hear of "apples vs oranges" ...

you cannot debate this, because the discussion is purely based on personal preference. An Ideal in itself that is variable for each and every person you run query.

Personally I think if vw were to compete directly with the wrx they need more snot under the hood and awd. ....

but then what do you have? A german wrx.. a car that would not suite vw's sales goals or the demographic they like to cater to.

Embrace variety and personal opinion, neither one are going away any time soon.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Isn't that kinda the same as buying a WRX vs. RS?
    Well that a little bit different... the WRX has a better and more powerfull motor, stronger transmission, better suspention, better brakes, and better look...
    I am looking into getting a bugeye rs for just a DD to keep the miles low on my WRX. I love all subarus (except the tribecca) there is just something about subaru that I like...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Yeah, I often go out on a tangent with the whole Subaru vs. luxury cars topic. I also don't think they are a good deal but it makes sense when considering there are many out there who make crazy amounts of money and don't car about saving a couple bucks and/or want to flaunt their wealth (or debt?) with their car.
    +1
    Very true, I didn't buy my WRX for its comfort, but I did for its versitility and fun factor...
    If I didn't have to worry about money id go out and buy a lambo, terrible investment but you wouldn't be able to smack the smile off my face...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Funny timing. I was actually considering trading the WRX for a VW product. Looking at a diesel Jetta. Love my subie, but increased CA taxes, increased license fees and readjusted insurance premiums got me wanting out of this car.

I like the looks of the GTI, but I couldnt trade the wrx in on one, the HP loss alone would kill me. Now, trading a performance car in on something that isnt performance oriented would be fine. Cant lower the standard within a category, switching categories altogether would be fine. Odd I know..
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I've driven and owned both varieties

I think the wrx IS more of a raw enthusiasts car when compared to the more civilized Golf. The lackluster (though functional) interior and rattles are a textbook character trait of a car that is designed to kick ass.. not kiss it.

The vw on the other hand is a smooth docile machine with nice manors. These two machines are not intended for the same demographic and therefore should not be directly compared.

Anyone hear of "apples vs oranges" ...

you cannot debate this, because the discussion is purely based on personal preference. An Ideal in itself that is variable for each and every person you run query.

Personally I think if vw were to compete directly with the wrx they need more snot under the hood and awd. ....

but then what do you have? A german wrx.. a car that would not suite vw's sales goals or the demographic they like to cater to.

Embrace variety and personal opinion, neither one are going away any time soon.
    +1

Best post thus far. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast