Prius Owners OWN the road! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Prius Owners OWN the road! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mechoption BMW M3 versus Prius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk M3 = 19.4 mpg Prius = 17.2 mpg M3 wins !! ...

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechoption View Post
    BMW M3 versus Prius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk

M3 = 19.4 mpg
    Prius = 17.2 mpg

M3 wins !!
    Mind=blown

I thought it would at least still get 20mpg.....geez.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 02radioflyer View Post
    Thank you!

Its not saving anything; its using other materials with less hot topic fossil fuel usage by the consumer. So the consumer can wear a super special environmental hat and march a greener path of the same cliff.
    I do question though: What about the materials other cars are made of? How do they stack up against the prius when only thing being considered is what damage is being done just collecting materials and putting these cars together..?
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

We might all be driving hybrids or electrics in 10 years time.

Is it really that inconceivable that states like CA or NY might deny all registrations of gasoline-powered cars one day? Your WRX might be a 3300lb paperweight one day in our not too distant future.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

BMW M3 versus Prius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk

M3 = 19.4 mpg
    Prius = 17.2 mpg

M3 wins !!
    Were do you get your numbers? The last time I went to a Toyota dealer the Prius showed 40-50mpg. That was like 2 years ago. It might have gone up since then. Where have you been?
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    We might all be driving hybrids or electrics in 10 years time.

Is it really that inconceivable that states like CA or NY might deny all registrations of gasoline-powered cars one day? Your WRX might be a 3300lb paperweight one day in our not too distant future.
    Never in MI. We have hot rods, muscle cars, etc. Banning modified cars or gasoline-powered cars would mean banning classic cars, etc too.

We have the annual famous Woodward cruise in MI. You know all those cars are are not street legal. Heck on that day, it's legal to burn your tries and race on woodward. It's one loud party. Cops sit there and watch it all.

Cops don't allow reckless driving though.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang View Post
    Were do you get your numbers? The last time I went to a Toyota dealer the Prius showed 40-50mpg. That was like 2 years ago. It might have gone up since then. Where have you been?
    There was a Top Gear episode where an M3 and a Prius did a lap around the track at like ~70mph together. The Prius had to keep up with the BMW. The M3 ended up with a better MPG rating at the end.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There was a Top Gear episode where an M3 and a Prius did a lap around the track at like ~70mph together. The Prius had to keep up with the BMW. The M3 ended up with a better MPG rating at the end.
    Is it just me or does this data seem almost totally irrelevant to real world situations?

Didn't the KERS system that was actually designed for track use add significant HP without affecting fuel consumption (I'm not really sure on this)?

Not singling you out I just picked this as the most recent quote on the topic.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Nope, not just me -

"Prius vs. BMW M3: The Test

Now the actual test: The Prius drove ten laps as fast as possible on a race-track, and the BMW trailed behind. It is so meaningless as to be funny. Much worse than Prius vs. Jeep Patriot Diesel.

Driving the Prius with the pedal to the metal (probably around 100 mph, a speed at which 99.99% of Priuses will never go - the exception is Al Gore Jr. who got caught doing over 100 mph) is taking away almost everything that makes the car fuel efficient. At that speed, electric motors don't help, regenerative braking doesn't help, and the stop-start anti-idling feature is useless. Only the low drag coefficient and low rolling-resistance tires are of use, but that is more than offset by the small 1.5 liter gasoline engine that has to hit RPMs way above its efficiency sweet spot.

On the BMW side, the M3 was designed to be driven fast on the German autobahns and its engine certainly wasn't breaking a sweat trying to keep up with the Prius."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...ideo-wrong.php

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Nope, not just me -

"Prius vs. BMW M3: The Test

Now the actual test: The Prius drove ten laps as fast as possible on a race-track, and the BMW trailed behind. It is so meaningless as to be funny. Much worse than Prius vs. Jeep Patriot Diesel.

Driving the Prius with the pedal to the metal (probably around 100 mph, a speed at which 99.99% of Priuses will never go - the exception is Al Gore Jr. who got caught doing over 100 mph) is taking away almost everything that makes the car fuel efficient. At that speed, electric motors don't help, regenerative braking doesn't help, and the stop-start anti-idling feature is useless. Only the low drag coefficient and low rolling-resistance tires are of use, but that is more than offset by the small 1.5 liter gasoline engine that has to hit RPMs way above its efficiency sweet spot.

On the BMW side, the M3 was designed to be driven fast on the German autobahns and its engine certainly wasn't breaking a sweat trying to keep up with the Prius."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...ideo-wrong.php
    I don't think it's entirely meaningless, it's a light hearted lesson that driving style has a much larger impact on fuel economy than the car you drive. The first comment on this thread is about Prius drivers 'racing' - clearly when they do they get useless mileage.

As an aside, the best 'green' cars in surveys (that don't focus soley on mpg, but include construction and recycling) are often diesels, not hybrids (i.e.,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Car_of_the_Year). I'd totally consider an Impreza diesel if when they start selling them in North America: http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/impreza/

Quote Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
    Nothing against Prius owners, but some of them do drive pretty recklessly around Seattle.

Found the below link on another forum, found it pretty interesting.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...g-stories.html
    One of the funniest things I have read in a while. I like the post about the guy that would speed up as people were trying to pass him. So then the people would just pull behind him. That doesnt mean your Prius is fast. It just means you are an a**hole.

lol
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR
    1998 Red(ish) Regal GSX, Stage 3 Supercharged (SOLD)
    1991 Red K5 Blazer (SOLD)

I Support ClubWRX

Now the actual test: The Prius drove ten laps as fast as possible on a race-track, and the BMW trailed behind. It is so meaningless as to be funny.
    Typical worthless Top Gear crap. I can't stand that show, and I hope Jeremy Clarkson pulls his bottom lip over his head and swallows.

Is it just me or does this data seem almost totally irrelevant to real world situations?

Didn't the KERS system that was actually designed for track use add significant HP without affecting fuel consumption (I'm not really sure on this)?

Not singling you out I just picked this as the most recent quote on the topic.
    It's just a Top Gear spoof for entertainment value.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's just a Top Gear spoof for entertainment value.
    Unfortunately too many don't see it that way and they often market their drivel as legitimate tests.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^+1

I don't think it's entirely meaningless, it's a light hearted lesson that driving style has a much larger impact on fuel economy than the car you drive. The first comment on this thread is about Prius drivers 'racing' - clearly when they do they get useless mileage.

As an aside, the best 'green' cars in surveys (that don't focus soley on mpg, but include construction and recycling) are often diesels, not hybrids (i.e.,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Car_of_the_Year). I'd totally consider an Impreza diesel if when they start selling them in North America: http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/impreza/
    I think highly of diesel as well.

I know where you are coming from discussing new cars but in actuality the greenest car considering construction and recycling is an older high mileage capable car. Something like say a '97 200sx.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Unfortunately too many don't see it that way and they often market their drivel as legitimate tests.
    I can't see anyone thinking that a test to do a loopty-loop in a Belfast sewer pipe with a Renault Twingo is legitimate and anything other than farce.

Their supercar tests might have some merit, but I'm not in a financial position to dispute their findings...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast