Other Cars Without Turbos - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Other Cars Without Turbos within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wrxgc Each person has the thing that tickles their fancy - for some people it's turbos, for ...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxgc View Post
    Each person has the thing that tickles their fancy - for some people it's turbos, for some people it's displacement, etc. BUT as far as competing cars that have AWD, subaru has certainly taken advances on providing some of the best AWD support. For reference, please watch the video provided below. Symmetrical AWD > other AWD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzK-oRPCbs
    Great video!
    2003 WRX Midnight Black Pearl

My Pics: Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    There's a few of them actually. Even a twin-turbo, supercharged WRX.
    So I searched and found this. Very cool indeed but it was a ton of work.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1011798

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1009232
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I am talking about having two turbos not a twin scroll. Their are twin scroll kits out there but they are expensive. I have never seen a twin turbo WRX. If you have a link post it I would like to see it. Now what would really be nice is a bi-turbo set up.
    Most of you may know this, but for those that do not:

The 335i is a bi-turbo car (two turbos). There are two types of "twin turbo" setups: parallel twin turbos and sequential twin turbos. Parallel twin turbos use one turbo on each of two exhaust headers (also called bi-turbo), and the exhaust gases from each cylinder bank do not converge before the turbochargers. Examples of this setup included the 2.7L bi-turbo Audi S4 and the BMW (?)35i series (with the N54 engine). Sequential or serial twin turbochargers use two turbos in the same exhaust path, one that spools at a lower RPM range for low-end power, and one that spools at a higher RPM range for high-end power. Combining these two turbos in the same exhaust path improves the turbocharging efficiency over a greater RPM range -- similar effect to the Variable Geometry Turbocharger used in the Porsche 911 turbo, Dodge Shelby Daytona, and most turbo-diesel applications. Cars that utilize a sequential twin-turbo setup include the RX-7, toyota supra, Legacy GT twin-turbo.

Twin-scroll turbos emulate the effect of a sequential twin-turbo setup. In fact, most car companies have moved away from sequential twin turbos in favor of modern technology that increases the volumetric efficiency without the price of a second turbo i.e. Variable Valve Timing.

BTW, variable geometry turbocharging is another technology to increase the efficiency range of a turbocharger. In this technology, variable vanes directs exhaust gasses onto the exhaust turbine to alter the way in which the turbo spools. The result is a single large turbo that spools quickly to provide low-end power, but retains the high-end power of standard large turbo. Unfortunately the exhaust gasses of a petrol engine are extremely hot, which means that only high-quality ceramics can be utilized for the vanes in this turbo setup and ramps up the price for this type of setup. Diesel engines, because of the cooler exhaust gasses, can utilize standard materials for the exhaust vains, and therefore most turbodiesels use a VGT setup.
    Last edited by zax; 05-10-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: seplling
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123