im curious - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on im curious within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M On a bone stock car the ECU may compensate enough. Try it with a canned ...

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    On a bone stock car the ECU may compensate enough. Try it with a canned Stage 2 tune and all bets are off.

We all know the SPT is junk (odd resonances) and the K&N is livable in most cases.

Laugh all you want at screwing with the car's single most important method of determining engine load, fueling, and timing. I'll bet you're the same ones who'd scream bloody murder at the thought of someone using a MBC without a tune.

BTW, it doesn't matter what brand housing you have if it's tuned. I run a $12 Spectre MAF housing on my car. It's dialed in perfectly. Go pay $150+ for an 8-inch pipe with a hole in it if you want to.
    I ran protuned Stage 2 with an SPT intake. Such good junk I had perfect AFIs across the board and never once had a single sputter, idle problem, knock, or anything. Ran awesome low 12s in a quarter. I'm gonna go ahead and say my bet is still very much on.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I said "canned tune", i.e., one expecting a stock MAF. You could custom tune for a MAF housing made from a soup can if you wanted to.

I'm not the one that has decreed the SPT intake worthless. Note that my experience is with the LGT part. The WRX part looks like it's more of a "normal" intake whereas their LGT part is S-shaped for some reason.

WRX - looks fine:

LGT - awful airflow characteristics:

This is my first Subaru (bought new in September 04) but I've been modding turbo cars for the past 19 years. When it comes to intakes I've seen it all, from HKS's (junk) foam mushroom filters to the first Apexi AFC (knob-based, not the fancier SAFC) to the HKS VPC/GCC combo. I even have a prototype Ford-to-DSM MAF conversion from the late 90s in my big pile o' parts.

So there we have it. I'm not going to encourage anyone to slap on an intake and start driving. You might be ok and you might not, but why take the risk over a part that doesn't provide any performance increase on its own?
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I said "canned tune", i.e., one expecting a stock MAF. You could custom tune for a MAF housing made from a soup can if you wanted to.

I'm not the one that has decreed the SPT intake worthless. Note that my experience is with the LGT part. The WRX part looks like it's more of a "normal" intake whereas their LGT part is S-shaped for some reason.

This is my first Subaru (bought new in September 04) but I've been modding turbo cars for the past 19 years. When it comes to intakes I've seen it all, from HKS's (junk) foam mushroom filters to the first Apexi AFC (knob-based, not the fancier SAFC) to the HKS VPC/GCC combo. I even have a prototype Ford-to-DSM MAF conversion from the late 90s in my big pile o' parts.

So there we have it. I'm not going to encourage anyone to slap on an intake and start driving. You might be ok and you might not, but why take the risk over a part that doesn't provide any performance increase on its own?
    I don't doubt your knowledge in anyway and I definitely respect what you say. I think we're just going to have to come to terms here and agree to disagree...I can agree with that you are saying that it is something that SHOULD be tuned for especially if you want to ENSURE that your car keeps running correctly.

Do I agree that it is a negligible part? Yes I do. They don't do anything worth squat for gains until you're getting into larger turbos and you NEED increased airflow. It is a glorified noise maker in a sense that you just amplify the sound of spool and blow off.

But at the same time, I am simply stating that if you pick up anything like the SPT, K&N, Cobb, etc...they are better than say HKS or Injen as they are known to skew MAF readings. They use similar location and intake pipe diameters as stock, so MAF readings aren't as messed up as say an Injen full CAI. That's all I was getting at.

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by cpitti13 View Post
    no driver errors at all, theyre both good drivers and they didnt miss a gear or anything
    nope
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

what do you mean nope?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12