Pavement princess story time
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pavement princess story time within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After crushing yet another pavement princess truck (no surprise it was a Dodge) I have come to a conclusion. I ...

Pavement princess story time

After crushing yet another pavement princess truck (no surprise it was a Dodge) I have come to a conclusion. I LOVE showing them whats up when they try to get all racey. I was driving home after getting some office supplies and I passed this dodge to make a right hand turn. The Dodge was doing probably about five under the speed limit when I passed him initially but as luck would have it I caught a red light about half mile ahead and he was able to catch up as this particular light has a very long sequence. Not to mention a higher speed limit on the road. So, anyways he rolls up and is all eyeballin my car and then punches it off the line. So, I was like Saweet another pavement princess truck wants to play! So, I just slip it into sport # and punch it not even bothering to down shift. Well no surprise that I pulled up even with and started to walk him by the top of third gear. Grabbing fourth I already had two car lengths on him and he gave up.

So, back to the conclusion about crushing the pavement princess trucks. Yeah, it is always fun to beat an American muscle car. But at least they can fend for themselves and are fast. However, the drivers of lifted 4x4 red neck trucks that have never seen a drop of mud in their life for some reason think they can take a WRX much less a stage 2 protuned STi like mine ahahaha. In some ways I almost feel bad like I am picking on the mentally handicapped when I beat these guys. But on the other it is just sooo FUNNY that they think they stand a chance. Now I am not saying all trucks are slow as that is just not the case some are quick for example, Ford lightning or the dodge with the Viper engine in it. Both of those trucks are quick and I would not expect to beat them in any sort of straight line race. But for some reason the guys with the 6 inch lift, swamp tire sportin trucks think they are fast. Maybe they might be able to take a stock Honda Civic but that is about it. Anyways, cheers!
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dont forget about the diesel's.

they have some kick.

um...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy9091 View Post
    dont forget about the diesel's.

they have some kick.
    yeah until 4000 RPMs when the revs run out. I'm sorry but torque does not equal speed/accel. A diesel just cannot be balanced to produce high-rpm power.

To OP:
    Shame on you for thinking that your stage 2 STi can stand up to
    Imagine the aerodynamic efficiency of those tires.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

well, explain all those diesel trucks that run 10's.

watch out who you race, they might end up handing you your ass and your smug grin all in one fell swoop.
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_cky View Post
    well, explain all those diesel trucks that run 10's.
    If you produce enough torque, anything is possible. BUT, a similar gasoline engine can typically achieve much more precise ignition and be balanced for much higher revs meaning more power up top. Diesel vehicles will give you a nice kick in the ass down low though...

Quote Originally Posted by fire_cky View Post
    watch out who you race, they might end up handing you your ass and your smug grin all in one fell swoop.
    That's part of the fun, don't you think?

EDIT: I take that back, I suppose gearing can be set up to take advantage of the high torque of a diesel engine. It would put a large strain on the driveline/tranny, but possible.
    Last edited by zax; 04-27-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Facebook me here

those gearboxes are already putting up with 1000+ lbs ft of torque. chances are if they change the gearing, they're going to be replacing the parts with something that will handle the power.

i drove my friend's 2 foot lifted f350. i don't remember the size of the tires, but they were massive as well. putting out somewhere around 800 lbsft and it was slow as balls. but then again, that's because the gearing was low as it was set up for offroading.

around where i live, there are tons of extremely fast diesel trucks. they will destroy my wrx, and i'm pretty sure they'll destroy an STi as well. STi's are quick, but keep in mind they are only rated 70hp more than a normal wrx.

i'm just meandering through my thoughts now, pardon me.
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

I have never heard of a dodge truck with a viper engine in it. That sounds interesting. Also this thread confused me cause almost everyones name starts with f haha... flyn, fly, fox, fire... I kept doing double-takes to see who was saying what

Anyway, keep showing those good old boys whats up I suppose, just be careful if you see a gun rack
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    I have never heard of a dodge truck with a viper engine in it.
    Dodge produced this truck for a while. It was called "Dodge RAM SRT-10" and used the 10 cylinder from the Viper SRT-10. I just don't see the point of adding an engine like that to a 5500 pound truck... at least the turbodiesels make sense...
    Last edited by zax; 04-27-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Facebook me here

The idea that a diesel truck can't be fast is absurd. There are hundreds of trucks out there that run mid 12s or quicker, lift kits & mud tires included. The quad cab and/or 4x4 models weigh 6500-7000 lbs too.

Then there's the ones that look stock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFAv13J6Zg

Yep, no top end power in a diesel at all!

Ram SRT-10:

The Ram SRT-10 runs 13.0s from the factory. The quad cab is automatic-only and runs a second slower. They do get quicker because most people who buy them also mod them, and when dealing with an 8 liter engine you get results quickly. They get Viper-type seats and brakes to go with the engine too.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Yep, no top end power in a diesel at all!
    I don't want to get in a pissing match with you, but what I mean by no "top end power" is that there is no top end! Diesel redline tends to be around 4000 RPM. Here's a snippet from wikipedia (I know it's not a credible source, but convenient and in this case, accurate):
    While diesel engines tend to have more torque at lower engine speeds than petrol engines, diesel engines tend to have a narrower power band than petrol engines. Naturally-aspirated diesels tend to lack power and torque at the top of their speed range. This narrow band is a reason why a vehicle such as a truck may have a gearbox with as many as 18 or more gears, to allow the engine's power to be used effectively at all speeds. Turbochargers tend to improve power at high engine speeds; superchargers improve power at lower speeds; and variable geometry turbochargers improve the engine's performance equally by flattening the torque curve.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The Ram SRT-10 runs 13.0s from the factory. The quad cab is automatic-only and runs a second slower. They do get quicker because most people who buy them also mod them, and when dealing with an 8 liter engine you get results quickly. They get Viper-type seats and brakes to go with the engine too.
    And what's the point? The Viper will run low 11s with the same engine. You don't get much more utility with a truck like this, since the suspension is designed for track rather than load. I'm not saying that a truck can't be fast, I'm saying WHY WOULD YOU WANT IT TO BE? Plus with all that weight up front, a truck will get mad understeer. Buy a nice Silverado for the utility and a Corvette for the speed

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Different strokes, etc. People get attached to certain types of vehicles due to culture, who they hang out with, geography, whatever, and someone somewhere will want it to be fast. The market and aftermarket responds, and there you go.

We cling to our own, comfortable preferences and do all of the namecalling, just as there are many groups of people out there that think modified Subaru's are "stupid". It's easy to get caught up in it..Months ago my wife and I came across an Evo driver at a gas station who gave us the evil eye because we were in my WRX. We had a good laugh.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I was cruising down the freeway one day....going about 70...next thing I know this black truck goes flying by me like I'm standing still....it scared the crap out of me...I never saw it coming...yep...it was one of them dodge srt 10's!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

zax
    Ray, putting things into perspective, as always...

I really didn't mean to namecall and I really have nothing against trucks, even diesel trucks. In fact, I almost bought a Tacoma instead of my WRX. I just don't understand anyone who would compromise the utility of the truck for speed when it's completely out of it's element. But as you said, some might say the same for a modded WRX

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Months ago my wife and I came across an Evo driver at a gas station who gave us the evil eye because we were in my WRX.
    Thats funny, yesterday I passed an evo and he waved at me haha
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.