Pavement princess story time - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pavement princess story time within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax I really didn't mean to namecall I wasn't directing the comment at you. Originally Posted by ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I really didn't mean to namecall
    I wasn't directing the comment at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Thats funny, yesterday I passed an evo and he waved at me haha
    Yep, I get that a lot of the time, as well.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'm curious, what does the fact that diesels are low reving engines have to do with there hp/tq abilities? i got lost on that. engine rpms does not determine max engine output. i happen to drive a 10 wheel truck that makes 1550lb tq at 700 rpms and shifts at 2000. but yet it seems to move 60,000lbs nicely. just because it's not a conventional way of thinking doesn't mean it doesn't work very well.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_cky View Post
    well, explain all those diesel trucks that run 10's.
    saw one last weds at the track that hit high 11's... at 6000ft. had 35" tires, 4wd, and was spinning all 4 wheel through 2nd gear...

There was also a SRT-10 truck doing high 12's.

Don't knock on trucks buddy.. they have the potential... much more than a civic.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I don't want to get in a pissing match with you, but what I mean by no "top end power" is that there is no top end! Diesel redline tends to be around 4000 RPM.
    Why would it need to rev higher than 4k rpm if it can still trap 127 mph in the quarter? "Top end" is speed, not revs. They're kicking major ass without having to rev like a Honda to do it.

The SRT-10 was a huge sales success so there are thousands of people who do want speed in their truck. You're not one of those but why knock it?
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    i'm curious, what does the fact that diesels are low reving engines have to do with there hp/tq abilities? i got lost on that. engine rpms does not determine max engine output. i happen to drive a 10 wheel truck that makes 1550lb tq at 700 rpms and shifts at 2000. but yet it seems to move 60,000lbs nicely. just because it's not a conventional way of thinking doesn't mean it doesn't work very well.
    horsepower = (torque * RPM)/5255 at a specific engine rev

Your power (HP) depends on how much torque the engine makes at a particular RPM. Physically, power = torque over a specific rotational speed, hence the revs in the equation -- measure of angular velocity. Thus, it is important to understand the torque curve of a car to apply gearing. Put simply, a very torquey engine will tow very nicely, but unless the torque is applied at high RPM, the power is not produced. Power *typically* defines acceleration and top speed. Think of a body builder who can lift a lot of weight, but is very slow due to all the bulk.

BTW, as stated earlier, if the transmission is designed with a lot of overdrive gearing, the low revs of a diesel engine can be negated by the large torque output, but that requires extremely durable gearset and driveline components.
    Last edited by zax; 04-27-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    saw one last weds at the track that hit high 11's... at 6000ft. had 35" tires, 4wd, and was spinning all 4 wheel through 2nd gear...

There was also a SRT-10 truck doing high 12's.

Don't knock on trucks buddy.. they have the potential... much more than a civic.
    guess fast trucks just aren't my thing. Also, I like how it's assumed now that I'm a Honda fanboi. Before I bought my rex I was a big-displacement kind of guy. I've never been into the whole civic scene. I just don't see the purpose of a race truck. But hey that doesn't mean I'm gonna hate the guy with a Ram SRT-10 sitting in his driveway next to mine, if that's is thing **** who am I to judge?

EDIT: Trucks seem to be a touchy subject around here... I'm done with my end of the discussion lol I'm also in a really bad mood today so sorry if I offended anyone
    Last edited by zax; 04-27-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Facebook me here

guess fast trucks just aren't my thing. Also, I like how it's assumed now that I'm a Honda fanboi. Before I bought my rex I was a big-displacement kind of guy. I've never been into the whole civic scene. I just don't see the purpose of a race truck. But hey that doesn't mean I'm gonna hate the guy with a Ram SRT-10 sitting in his driveway next to mine, if that's is thing **** who am I to judge?

EDIT: Trucks seem to be a touchy subject around here... I'm done with my end of the discussion lol I'm also in a really bad mood today so sorry if I offended anyone
    you didn't offend anyone, don't worry. it also doesn't look like he's calling you a honda fanboi either

there is a lot of potential in turbo diesels to go EXTREMELY fast, just recognize and RESPECT... as the rap community would say
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

Driving a modded truck fast is so stupid. Especially on the highway. If you have to quickly turn to avoid an object you are going to flip it. The center of gravity is very high on these trucks. In my opinion it is a death trap. Not only that it is more dangerous to every one else on the road.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

horsepower = (torque * RPM)/5255 at a specific engine rev

Your power (HP) depends on how much torque the engine makes at a particular RPM. Physically, power = torque over a specific rotational speed, hence the revs in the equation -- measure of angular velocity. Thus, it is important to understand the torque curve of a car to apply gearing. Put simply, a very torquey engine will tow very nicely, but unless the torque is applied at high RPM, the power is not produced. Power *typically* defines acceleration and top speed. Think of a body builder who can lift a lot of weight, but is very slow due to all the bulk.

BTW, as stated earlier, if the transmission is designed with a lot of overdrive gearing, the low revs of a diesel engine can be negated by the large torque output, but that requires extremely durable gearset and driveline components.

yes i totally understand that. i don't think you got my point but it doesn't matter. hp is a imaginary number done with math. if you make 1000+ lb tq for your entire rpm range it doesn't matter what your hp ends up being.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    hp is a imaginary number done with math.
    power is the integral of torque (force). it's just as real as speed is with respect to acceleration.

But indeed, it's just semantics and doesn't really matter

Facebook me here

mmmmm, imaginary numbers.
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Thats funny, yesterday I passed an evo and he waved at me haha
    In my area I never even see any Evos, though lately I've been seeing a whole lot of wrxs, and STIs...new and old. Has subaru been doing a lot of marketing in bala cynwyd,PA or something?
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

speaking of the srt-10...has anyone seen the video where a guy does a burn out and flips over? Its pretty darn funny, ill search around for it a post a link

Quote Originally Posted by fire_cky View Post
    well, explain all those diesel trucks that run 10's.

watch out who you race, they might end up handing you your ass and your smug grin all in one fell swoop.
    Lol if someone driving a big ass lifted truck manages to beat me then they deserve the props.
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast