WRX vs. Audi R8 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Audi R8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SD_GR Call me retro but I really would not mind seeing an R8 with a proper straight ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Call me retro but I really would not mind seeing an R8 with a proper straight 5 cyl, 20 valve motor with 2,1 L displacement and force fed by a KKK the size of a trashcan lid.

The V8 and V10 are great motors but they just lack the provenance of the inline 5 and of all the motors I've heard from anyone, up to a V12, the inline 5 sounds the absolute angriest. Very, very angry.

With modern management systems 400 kW or so should not be out of the realm of possibility for such a motor IMO. It would meet emissions restrictions only underground in volcanoes but that's another story.

This will of course happen a few weeks after pigs fly and just before hell freezes over, but dreams are free so there I go.
    Oh Dan...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nc.wiles View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMtKqVS1FX0&NR=1

700+ ft/lbs of torque!? I wonder what the 0-60 times will be in this car?
    I think this is the same engine that is used on the Audi Formula TDI car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    738 torque from a diesel? Mercedes already did it 5-6 years ago with a gasoline v12 and managed over a hundred more horsepower in the process.
    you get more torques from a diesel (higher compression, more efficiency), but lower power numbers because of the low redline. This is not new, but with the proper gearing, one can take advantage of the high torque of a diesel in specific racing applications. Baja vehicles, for example, typically use diesel for the favorable torque characteristics as well as other applications (take the Mitsu Racing Lancer). I have read that GP cars and Grand Tourers are beginning to research the potential behind Diesel in racing applications. Take, for example, the Audi TDI GP car, which utilizes the V12 TDI engine producing around 1000 ft.-lbs in race trim. The interesting thing about this car is that only five gears are necessary. Standard F1 cars rev to around 15000-20000, which means that between 7-9 gears are necessary to keep the engine RPMs within the efficiency range. The high torque of the TDI allows this distinct car to utilize an overdrive gearbox with only five ratios to remain within the optimal engine revs. This saves weight and reduces driver error.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

But Mercedes also made the same torque, only with a standard gasoline engine. That it happened to make 100 more hp is just icing on the cake. Just a reflash and intercooler upgrades put the Benz to over 900 wtq so it's not like the stock rating is anywhere near max power.

Mercedes also chose a 5spd over their 6- and 7-speed transmissions because it didn't need the cogs for maximum performance. Well, that and their 5spd is the only one they have capable of holding that much torque.

Diesel power would have been great news when diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Now it's just "meh", at least in the performance arena. In a truck it's still what you want for real work.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Driven the v8 R8 before but never the 10. It was ridiculous! This was when the first iron man came out. I used to work for a company ironically named STI fleet services that would market cars. Oh how I loved that job and the cars we got our hands on.

Spotted this the other day, looks much sexier in person than any image I've ever seen on the 'net. Apologies for the crappy cell pic.

...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Just some goodies =]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123