wrx stock. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on wrx stock. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax The problem is that the stock tires and suspension that the GT500 is shipped with are ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The problem is that the stock tires and suspension that the GT500 is shipped with are completely incompetent at putting the power down on the pavement. So, supposedly, if you pick up a set of slicks and upgrade the rear crossbar and lower control arms, the stock GT500 will run the 1/4 mile in approx. 11.5 sec @ 126 MPH -- similar to a stock Z06. Factor in that the Z06 MSRPs at $75K, and tell me once again that the Z06 is a better deal for dragging. Especially since one can pick up the Kenne-Bell supercharger upgrade package (with sport suspension upgrade) for approx. $75K, bringing the power up to 725HP and you can bet which car is going to drag faster for the money...

The Z06 can handle, however, making it a better car all around, but that's not with dragging is about...
    Z06 is on another level than the gt500, id say the only logical reason to get the mustang is if you really care nothing about performance and really want that name Shelby GT500. Ive rode in both, the gt has NOTHING on the vette.

Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Z06 is on another level than the gt500, id say the only logical reason to get the mustang is if you really care nothing about performance and really want that name Shelby GT500. Ive rode in both, the gt has NOTHING on the vette.

Chris
    Quick question:
    Do you know what drag racing is? The only thing that matters is how quickly you can cross a line 1/4 mile (or sometimes 1/8 of a mile) from the starting line. I'm very sure that I already stated that the Z06 is a much better all-around car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I wasnt directing it right at you. And drag racing is usually decided within the first 100ft. But i love cobras dont get me wrong, yes they are drag monsters with slicks no doubt.

Sorry if it seemed like i was jumping on you
    Chris

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    lol my bad then.

In which case I completely agree with you. I would never by the GT500 personally, since DD is more than just going in a straight line. Top Gear reviewed the GT500 and here it is:
    YouTube - Mustang GT500 car review - Top Gear - BBC
    Pay attention to the part about the "live axle" rear suspension LOL Ford sucks (more reasons to hate Ken Block). Sadly, it still did the power lap faster than the STi

Personally, I'd save $5K and buy an M3 (then I'd have no friends lol)
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    the problem is that the stock tires and suspension that the gt500 is shipped with are completely incompetent at putting the power down on the pavement. So, supposedly, if you pick up a set of slicks and upgrade the rear crossbar and lower control arms, the stock gt500 will run the 1/4 mile in approx. 11.5 sec @ 126 mph -- similar to a stock z06. Factor in that the z06 msrps at $75k, and tell me once again that the z06 is a better deal for dragging. Especially since one can pick up the kenne-bell supercharger upgrade package (with sport suspension upgrade) for approx. $75k, bringing the power up to 725hp and you can bet which car is going to drag faster for the money...

The z06 can handle, however, making it a better car all around, but that's not with dragging is about...
    i know it is a great bargain, but its a shelby special edition mustang... If it bares the shelby name it should have the better suspension and be top of the line all the way... As for the slicks those arent street leagle.. I was just making a point that the gt500 should be outrunning or even comming close to the z06 with street tires and with its 45hp advantage it should still be making up for its 350lb of extra weight... Yes the zo6 is a way better car in terms that it out performs the mustang, gets better mpg, and doesnt need a supercharger to put less power to the ground then its na competitor... AND THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT ID SPEND AN EXTRA 28K FOR JUST A BETTER SUSPENSION AND AN EXTRA 185HP CAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY YOULL JUST HAVE AN OVERPRICED MUSTANG... ID RATHER MOD UP A GT WITH A TWIN TURBO SETUP AND BLOW THE OTHER 3 CARS OUT OF THE WATER...
    Last edited by 06scoobyrex; 03-21-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    A WRX is a Swiss Army Knife of cars...it can do many things "pretty well", accelerate, corner, deal with slick conditions, has good utility to carry 4 people and their stuff, etc.
    Exactly^^
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    drag racing is usually decided within the first 100ft.
    Absolutely not. Spend more time at the Drag Strip.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Absolutely not. Spend more time at the Drag Strip.
    Ive been to quite a few events sense i was 5, funny cars and street cars. When your talkin over 1000hp, the race is usually won at the line. Unless you watch people who cant drive or race completely unfair rides(like a 600rwhp stang vs a 300whp wrx). If the cars are evenly matched, the Entire race comes down to the RT and depending who hits 2nd and 3rd better. Youd know that from watchin tv let alone going to the 1/4. You must watch some TERRIBLE drivers. Go on youtube and watch the cars n the links, ill add more if you would like i know a few of these guys. They are the source of this info. Thats like saying a roll race shows the faster car Lol.
    Last edited by cjm1991; 03-24-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Chris

I Support ClubWRX
    Since we're discussing WRXs here, I'm not talking about 1000hp funny cars. I'm talking about the every day weekend drag racer.

When I'm at the track I get 1.8's and 1.9's in the 60ft, but I'll still lose to a higher horsepower car if they can get a good launch. But some of these camaros and mustangs can't hook up off the line, but by the end of these 1/4miles they're neck and neck with me. I'm just saying that 100ft means nothing if there are differences in tires/drivetrain/final drive/N2O vs no N2O/etc
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Since we're discussing WRXs here, I'm not talking about 1000hp funny cars. I'm talking about the every day weekend drag racer.

When I'm at the track I get 1.8's and 1.9's in the 60ft, but I'll still lose to a higher horsepower car if they can get a good launch. But some of these camaros and mustangs can't hook up off the line, but by the end of these 1/4miles they're neck and neck with me. I'm just saying that 100ft means nothing if there are differences in tires/drivetrain/final drive/N2O vs no N2O/etc
    Not to jump in on your argument, but I believe that's why he mentioned that his point mostly applies for -even- hp cars.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure what value the "Shelby" name has for me any more. Between the slick X stuff he endorses and the cobra repair BS IDK.

GT500KR: Can you afford to fix this car? - Spoken Torque Forums
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I'm not sure what value the "Shelby" name has for me any more. Between the slick X stuff he endorses and the cobra repair BS IDK.

GT500KR: Can you afford to fix this car? - Spoken Torque Forums
    Wow. I wasn't aware of all this.....but..21k for a HOOD??? Seriously??? This is just sad...
    Last edited by CGimpreza; 03-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123