Should my 04 WRX be able to stay with a Vette? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Should my 04 WRX be able to stay with a Vette? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M The one thing the LS1 is known for is top end power -- exactly what ...

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The one thing the LS1 is known for is top end power -- exactly what the stock WRX lacks.
    Um, I'd say its known for a lot more than top end power. I also make over 300 ft lbs as early as 2500 rpms. I only peak at 366.
    "I am not made of steel. Rage...I...am made...OF RAGE!" - Colossus

2001 Bright Ralley Red Camaro Z28 M6: Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, TSP Off Road Y-pipe, Hooker catback, SLP Air Lid, stock throttle body ported to 78mm. 353 rwhp 366 rwtq untuned

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Any chance that this was actually a 40th Anniversary car, a C4? Those cars are a lot closer in performance to the range of a WRX.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

93 LT1 still would have posted him.

2001 Bright Ralley Red Camaro Z28 M6: Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, TSP Off Road Y-pipe, Hooker catback, SLP Air Lid, stock throttle body ported to 78mm. 353 rwhp 366 rwtq untuned

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    93 LT1 still would have posted him.
    Interesting. I've driven a C4, and wasn't terribly impressed, when compared to more modern Chevy V8's, or even my VF34'd WRX at the time. Of course, the butt dyno can be deceptive.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Um, I'd say its known for a lot more than top end power. I also make over 300 ft lbs as early as 2500 rpms. I only peak at 366.
    Ok -- not the "only". I should have said "major". The introduction of the LS1 gave the F-bodies an easy 5 mph boost in trap speed over the LT1s, and of course it was similar in the Corvettes.

C4's trapped around 100 mph and would still handle a stock WRX after the launch.

BTW, I'm a 11+ yr member at camaroz28.com and I've never even owned one!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Awesome! I love crossing the lines and seeing what everyone else does! The LT1 Vettes did about 103 and low 13's in the quarter. They were faster than what people gave them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by callmedoc View Post
    Sounds like you raced a base C5. Its a mid/low 13 sec car stock. On the street, anything is possible. Good run.

For reference, the C6 is a low/mid 12 sec car and I had no problem beating a new modded Sti hatchback (see a few threads below).
    Yes, that ^^^

It was a C5. Good kill though, you drove very well!
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

C5's will run 12's all day with a driver. I still think there is something going on here.

I Support ClubWRX
    C5's will run 12's all day with a driver. I still think there is something going on here.
    Wild guess:
    I think he came across a nice old fellow who decided to play around, but who is averse to thrashing his nice Vette too much. At the end of said playing around, the old fellow congratulates the WRX driver on having a nice car, and has enough life experience/self-esteem to have no need to brag about what he's got.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfieldswrx View Post
    wild guess:
    I think he came across a nice old fellow who decided to play around, but who is averse to thrashing his nice vette too much. At the end of said playing around, the old fellow congratulates the wrx driver on having a nice car, and has enough life experience/self-esteem to have no need to brag about what he's got.
    +1
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

My theory: The old man was crusing at 70-75 mph in 6th gear, 1800 rpms or thereabouts. He decides to play a little, and just mashed on the gas pedal in 5th/6th gear. He didn't really try downshifting b/c he didn't have to prove anything to a Subaru.

A Subaru in 4th gear barely keeping up with a vette in 5th/6th gear at 75 mph seems reasonable to me.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    My theory: The old man was crusing at 70-75 mph in 6th gear, 1800 rpms or thereabouts. He decides to play a little, and just mashed on the gas pedal in 5th/6th gear. He didn't really try downshifting b/c he didn't have to prove anything to a Subaru.

A Subaru in 4th gear barely keeping up with a vette in 5th/6th gear at 75 mph seems reasonable to me.
    I would like to co-sign this theory. It sounds more than likely.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

One of the two, I highly doubt this was a 100% even hit that continued in the proper gears. I also still wonder if it was a stick. I know you said it seemed like it but we don't know 100% for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post

/agree
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123