10 Good Reasons Why The WRX Outshines the Competition
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 10 Good Reasons Why The WRX Outshines the Competition within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So this weekend I am going to check out some cars that I am interested in for purchase. My "financial ...

10 Good Reasons Why The WRX Outshines the Competition

So this weekend I am going to check out some cars that I am interested in for purchase. My "financial aid" as we will call him is convinced that a WRX just is not the car for me. I on the other hand have basically made up my mind on what I am into and this is definitely it.
    Today while talking to him he said that a Honda Civic Si would be just as good and for about $4,000 less then a WRX.

What I am going to do is create a list "10 Good Reasons Why The WRX Outshines the Competition" and would like to know if you guys will help with the reasons. The title says 10 but I'm going to keep the list going on for as long as I can :P.

Hopefully this helps the cause and people are willing to help out
    Here's a simple cool little reason to start it off,
    1. Turbo Lag

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

turbo lag? both the wrx and sti have a slight bit of lag and the civic isn't turbo'd.. so I dont see where that would compare.

This really sounds to me like you're trying to convince a parent or guardian to let you have a turbo'd awd vehicle for your first ride.

Based on that I have to ask, is this going to be your first car?

If so you might want to consider something that isn't as .. well.. hard to insure for the younger guys "AND" a little more forgiving to operator error. As good of a driver you might think you are.. your not.. we've all been in that spot all it gets you is a free trip into a guardrail, ditch, another car.. etc. For some of us it was worse than others. Mine was a ditch.. and in a car MUCH slower than my wrx. If I had this car at 17 I'd have killed myself in short order during the learning process.

There are literally dozens of reasons why the wrx is better than other cars in its class.. but whether its better for the driver in question or not is kinda up to the guy with the money. I'm def not trying to rain on the parade.. the wrx is a wicked car, and enthusiasm toward it is quite welcome.. but if "financial aid" has your safety and best interests in mind.. he's not going to want to put you in a awd rocket right off the bat.

are you looking used or new?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, I don't understand. Turbo lag is a negative.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    turbo lag? both the wrx and sti have a slight bit of lag and the civic isn't turbo'd.. so I dont see where that would compare.

This really sounds to me like you're trying to convince a parent or guardian to let you have a turbo'd awd vehicle for your first ride.

Based on that I have to ask, is this going to be your first car?

If so you might want to consider something that isn't as .. well.. hard to insure for the younger guys "AND" a little more forgiving to operator error. As good of a driver you might think you are.. your not.. we've all been in that spot all it gets you is a free trip into a guardrail, ditch, another car.. etc. For some of us it was worse than others. Mine was a ditch.. and in a car MUCH slower than my wrx. If I had this car at 17 I'd have killed myself in short order during the learning process.

There are literally dozens of reasons why the wrx is better than other cars in its class.. but whether its better for the driver in question or not is kinda up to the guy with the money. I'm def not trying to rain on the parade.. the wrx is a wicked car, and enthusiasm toward it is quite welcome.. but if "financial aid" has your safety and best interests in mind.. he's not going to want to put you in a awd rocket right off the bat.

are you looking used or new?
    It is a parent, good guess.
    But it isn't my first car at all.
    I don't mean only to a Civic I know there is no turbo.
    I was just stating that the WRX is turbo'd in a subliminal type of way.
    Its not just because the car is AWD and has a turbo I've just been in love with them for as long as I can remember. trust me, I've had my share of speeding tickets, ditches, and lawns and I'm not the type to not learn from my mistakes. (especially when they can kill you lol) New car, although i'd be happy with an 06/07.
    Last edited by charmander; 03-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Theres no comparing a civic to a 2.5L wrx.. the wrx is better in every way. If your not a safe driver to start with, dont get a turbod car. Unless you want to wreck or not be able to afford insurance from tickets.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Theres no comparing a civic to a 2.5L wrx.. the wrx is better in every way. If your not a safe driver to start with, dont get a turbod car. Unless you want to wreck or not be able to afford insurance from tickets.
    I am safe

Im not saying dont buy it, theres just alot more temptation in a nice handling, turbo awd. I speak from experience, i had my stage 2 sti for about 2 weeks and flipped it at 110 on a local highway. I was fine along with my passenger(God only knows how), and i smoked the mustang gt i was racing, but id give anything to have my sti back. I have a nice 02 but i pay 230 a month for liability, and i was paying 85 for full coverage on the sti. If you get one just drive it nice and enjoy what you have,

Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I can def understand the love for the car.. I drove one in 02 and was hooked like a hungry fish At that point I was 23 and right out of the army. No way in hell I could afford one.

After wanting one all this time, Last october I bought my 2010.
    It was the first time I've been within safe financial reach of one.

You're lucky to have someone willing and able to buy for you, or even help you buy a car.

The bargaining is up to you though.. not much we can do to help you persuade a parent into buying something they aren't sure about. Its their instinct to help and protect you

for a minute or two, take emotion out of the equation and leave it in logic's hands. Figure out your costs, can break it down like this:

1 car
    2 insurance
    3 maintenance
    4 yearly taxes (if your state/city has them)
    5 regular consumable costs (basically fuel usage)

most of this data you can find in consumer reports or other car/buying related publications.

be smart, look at it like you have to pay for it yourself and lay it all out on paper. Make the most cost conscious decision that still fits your wants. I can guarantee this is how your "financial aid" is looking at it too. Need before want.
    Then present all the data with arguments for or against the candidates.

Sooner or later you'll have to do this anyway to survive daily life.. getting practice while its not your wallet in the pinch is priceless. AND it shows your "financial aid" that you're trying to make a responsible decision which will be highly appreciated.

Cuz lately the green stuff isn't so easy to come by.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

this thread = trainwreck
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Im not saying dont buy it, theres just alot more temptation in a nice handling, turbo awd. I speak from experience, i had my stage 2 sti for about 2 weeks and flipped it at 110 on a local highway. I was fine along with my passenger(God only knows how), and i smoked the mustang gt i was racing, but id give anything to have my sti back. I have a nice 02 but i pay 230 a month for liability, and i was paying 85 for full coverage on the sti. If you get one just drive it nice and enjoy what you have,

Chris
    What?!! Man I'm so sorry to hear that. That must be one of the scariest feelings ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I can def understand the love for the car.. I drove one in 02 and was hooked like a hungry fish At that point I was 23 and right out of the army. No way in hell I could afford one.

After wanting one all this time, Last october I bought my 2010.
    It was the first time I've been within safe financial reach of one.

You're lucky to have someone willing and able to buy for you, or even help you buy a car.

The bargaining is up to you though.. not much we can do to help you persuade a parent into buying something they aren't sure about. Its their instinct to help and protect you

for a minute or two, take emotion out of the equation and leave it in logic's hands. Figure out your costs, can break it down like this:

1 car
    2 insurance
    3 maintenance
    4 yearly taxes (if your state/city has them)
    5 regular consumable costs (basically fuel usage)

most of this data you can find in consumer reports or other car/buying related publications.

be smart, look at it like you have to pay for it yourself and lay it all out on paper. Make the most cost conscious decision that still fits your wants. I can guarantee this is how your "financial aid" is looking at it too. Need before want.
    Then present all the data with arguments for or against the candidates.

Sooner or later you'll have to do this anyway to survive daily life.. getting practice while its not your wallet in the pinch is priceless. AND it shows your "financial aid" that you're trying to make a responsible decision which will be highly appreciated.

Cuz lately the green stuff isn't so easy to come by.
    Yea we were talking about all of that today and this car gets maybe one or two miles to the gallon less then my tired sunfire. The only difference would be premium instead of regular lol. I didn't really plan on repairs other then regular maintenance and my brother owns a shop is NJ so that wouldn't be a probably to get things for cheap. I guess I sort of am living in a fantasy where everything is free in my head but not in real life aha. Would AWD help insurance costs at all?

And thanks for not completely bashing on me and all. This really is a dream car for me and if I get it I'll probably just be the happiest guy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby3 View Post
    this thread = trainwreck
    Not really. It isn't really what it was intended to be but at the same time people are voicing opinions, facts, and lifetime stories (somewhat).

this thread = I'm learning new things...

I Support ClubWRX
    If your father doesn't want you to own a WRX, then save up enough money and buy your own car so you don't have to listen to him. If he's buying you the car, then he has as much of a say in the choice as you (if not more).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If your father doesn't want you to own a WRX, then save up enough money and buy your own car so you don't have to listen to him. If he's buying you the car, then he has as much of a say in the choice as you (if not more).
    It wasn't so much as a no as it was let's see what else there is for that price type of situation. But yea you are right about that it's his money not mine.

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX insurance can be ridiculously expensive for young drivers or if you have any points. The AWD doesn't help people stop apparently.

The Honda is a very respectable car but it has very different features. Your probably not going to sell your dad that you need the extra HP, but you could try to explain how you think it would better suit your lifestyle (e.g. do you really need AWD for weather conditions, maybe you need a wagon, etc.). The Subaru will hold up on safety ratings and reliability versus Honda in reports but the resale is probably still higher off of a Honda.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow this thread gave me a headache.

I have a friend with an 07 Civic Si, he drives my car every chance that I let him, simply because he likes it better. He purchased the thing for more than I paid for my WRX brand new and he got his used, which I don't fully understand.

The WRX responds much better to modification, and actually has somewhere to go power wise without a HUGE amount of modification. The Si turns better from the factory though, it is much better planted, but that's easy to make the WRX do as well. The Si came with a better interior (quality wise, but it's ugly as sin), and it's more comfortable with better seats and more leg room.

The WRX will be more expensive with regards to insurance, especially being a young pup which I'm sure you are since you are getting the car with help from a parent.

The cars are very safe and reliable as long as you are a responsible owner, I have 86k on the clock in my 06 and have had nothing major needing to be done, just regular maintenance and it's been good to me.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast