10 Good Reasons Why The WRX Outshines the Competition - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 10 Good Reasons Why The WRX Outshines the Competition within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Personally Im gonna help a brother out here. Ive owned more cars than anyone wants to count, most on that ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally Im gonna help a brother out here. Ive owned more cars than anyone wants to count, most on that list were HONDUHS. Great cars dont get me wrong, I still to this day miss and love my old EP hatch's (yes thats plural I have owned 4) So here goes:

1. When I sold my 02 EP Si for my 05 STi my insurance dropped in half.. 150/m to 73/m

2. 06/07 WRXs have much better brakes than any Honda on the road.

3. AWD, dont know if your in snow country or not but I personally feel it is just that much safer.

4. More standard safety features.

5. Better powertrain warranty

6. Modded Civics get a bad rap, IE: Every civic is rice. Punk Ass Civic owner.. ETC..

7. Bigger car

8. Better handling

9. Si's are harder to find, most dealers do not stock

10. IMHO you get more for your money in a Subaru.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know how to respond to this. When I was 18, if my father had offered to buy me a brand new Yugo (how's that for some dating? ), I would have been overwhelmed with rapturous joy.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I don't know how to respond to this. When I was 18, if my father had offered to buy me a brand new Yugo (how's that for some dating? ), I would have been overwhelmed with rapturous joy.
    Ha yeah! I had to buy my first car and it was an 800 dollar 1986 ford tempo....sweet huh. Get what your dad wants you to get and save money until you can afford and pay for your own WRX...that way you will appreciate it more.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    91 buick lol... and I still miss her
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If your father doesn't want you to own a WRX, then save up enough money and buy your own car so you don't have to listen to him. If he's buying you the car, then he has as much of a say in the choice as you (if not more).

If not? No, it is more. In fact its all. My Dad got me a car when I was 17. A 1993 Camaro Z28 auto. That was probably a mistake. I got intimate with an embankment and jacked my car up. I was also car illiterate at the time and didn't realize the car was running no harmonic balancer, just an underdrive pulley. The previous owner was a genious. The engine went out, cost a bunch of money, etc. Well, that was a $5,000 car. I can't believe I talked my Dad into it. If I could go back and do it over I would advise something with less go in the right pedal and more whoa in the left. Just my .02 cents.
    "I am not made of steel. Rage...I...am made...OF RAGE!" - Colossus

2001 Bright Ralley Red Camaro Z28 M6: Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, TSP Off Road Y-pipe, Hooker catback, SLP Air Lid, stock throttle body ported to 78mm. 353 rwhp 366 rwtq untuned

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Wow this thread gave me a headache.

I have a friend with an 07 Civic Si, he drives my car every chance that I let him, simply because he likes it better. He purchased the thing for more than I paid for my WRX brand new and he got his used, which I don't fully understand.

The WRX responds much better to modification, and actually has somewhere to go power wise without a HUGE amount of modification. The Si turns better from the factory though, it is much better planted, but that's easy to make the WRX do as well. The Si came with a better interior (quality wise, but it's ugly as sin), and it's more comfortable with better seats and more leg room.

The WRX will be more expensive with regards to insurance, especially being a young pup which I'm sure you are since you are getting the car with help from a parent.

The cars are very safe and reliable as long as you are a responsible owner, I have 86k on the clock in my 06 and have had nothing major needing to be done, just regular maintenance and it's been good to me.
    You sure aren't kidding when you speak of the insurance on these vehicles. I was shocked to find out that my brothers '03 350Z is quite a bit CHEAPER to insure than my WRX (and he's quite a bit younger than me, and we have equal driving records with respect to tickets , etc )
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

I've got to say, I understand that everyone here means well with their recommendations of letting his father chose. However, if my parent offered to sponsor me a car in that price range, and gave me the opportunity to convince them (not b*tch, whine or cry, but give legitimate reasons), I , like the OP, would try my damnedest to get the WRX.
    In all honesty he can get in just as much trouble (if not more) with the civic as he can the WRX. At the end of the day it's going to come down to his maturity behind the wheel. If he's already owned cars/ been driving for a while, even if he's young, I don't find it a horrible idea to step up to a WRX. If this is his dream like he says, I say go for it.

Personally if making a case for the car, I'd highlight:

The safety features (front/side airbags etc),
    The AWD
    The Brakes (this especially could help)
    The fact that your pop can borrow it for track days ( you never know, this could seal the deal).
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by charmander View Post
    I am safe
    Quote Originally Posted by charmander
    trust me, I've had my share of speeding tickets, ditches, and lawns

I've been driving for 18 years and have never had any experience with ditches or lawns......

to respond to the original question though.....

when dealing with parents buying you a car, it's usually best to compromise. You want a WRX. Your parents are concerned with you getting a 200+hp turbo AWD performance sedan at your age.

Perhaps think about considering a compromise alternative: a N/A Impreza (2.5RS).

This would be an easier argument to the parents, as it still has all the safety features, AWD, and all the other good things about Subarus. BUT your parents won't have to worry about you trying to street race nearly as much. Plus you'll get a few more MPGs on the fuel and won't need to use super. Plus your insurance will be less. Plus you can buy one for alot cheaper. And it's still reasonably quick.

Then if you're into modding, do suspension and brakes, some cosmetic stuff, and you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by irish44j; 03-14-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Likes Cars With Orbicular Windmill Engines
    Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post

I've been driving for 18 years and have never had any experience with ditches or lawns......

to respond to the original question though.....

when dealing with parents buying you a car, it's usually best to compromise. You want a WRX. Your parents are concerned with you getting a 200+hp turbo AWD performance sedan at your age.

Perhaps think about considering a compromise alternative: a N/A Impreza (2.5RS).

This would be an easier argument to the parents, as it still has all the safety features, AWD, and all the other good things about Subarus. BUT your parents won't have to worry about you trying to street race nearly as much. Plus you'll get a few more MPGs on the fuel and won't need to use super. Plus your insurance will be less. Plus you can buy one for alot cheaper. And it's still reasonably quick.

Then if you're into modding, do suspension and brakes, some cosmetic stuff, and you'll be good to go.
    While reading through this whole thread, I kept thinking, "Why hasn't anyone suggested a NA Impreza?"

Considering the facts that we have and the info that can be inferred, this seems like a really good solution. I like the 2010 2.5 cars, they're pretty sporty, torquey, and nice looking. I might even suggest looking at a used 2.5 to show some fiscal shrewdness.

2010 na impreza still makes 175hp.. not too shabby for a 3100lb car. If I had the choice of civic or na impreza.. I'd take the scoobie all day every day.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    My parents have not one time contributed a dime in any vehicle I have ever owned. In fact my first car they did give me... Came
    with a bill!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

my first car was a 94 z28 It was bright red and It was probally my best liked car ive ever owned... dont get me wrong i love my wrx but the camaro was fun for different reason (rwd, v8, 6speed, exhaust, t-tops, etc...) to make a long story short i got pulled over twice a week and paid out about 3k in tickets... and then totaled it on the freeway durring a freak accedent where ot was raining and snowing at the same time in the middle of june... (fu(king utah)... I too always wanted a wrx even when i had the camaro back in 01 when they 1st came out... I just recently had the ability to buy 1 and ive never looked back since.... my best advice to you would be pursue the wrx cause i have owned many vehicles in my day and the thing i learned is buy what you want and dont let anyone convince you that you shouldnt get 1 just cause your young... but if you do end up getting 1 please be carefull and dont do anything stupid... it only takes a few tickets to loose your licence then youll be telling storys on the bus of how you used to be cool and now i ride the bus with all the rest of the sociopaths of the city... and its hard to pick up chicks from the window of the bus too so cherish it and be safe that way you can enjoy it till it blows up on ya and then you can rebulid it and enjoy it all over again...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Well. I think you can already fish 10 reasons the WRX is better than its competitors out of this thread.

I just want to add one more piece of input.

Unlike some people here - who are saying you should stay away from the WRX for now because you are young and insurance will be high, etc, etc - I support it.

I just caution you to be very careful. Much more careful than you think you need to be. I'd been driving 2 years and had owned a Nissan Altima as my first car. Never had a single incident with my Altima. Then I got my WRX and crashed it within 3 weeks. $6,000 was the bill for the damage and now my insurance is up to $4,200/year. That's $350/mo in more familiar terms.

Despite the fact that it's an expensive car to own and you will likely crash it at some point, I still support it because I believe in learning the hard way. Learn from your own mistakes if you can't learn from others'. Just don't total the car if you crash it.

I may be out a lot of money from my crash, between the insurance deductible and increase, but I would do it all over again for the learning experience.

Get the WRX and you will not regret it, even if you crash it. Just try not to crash and it will all be even better.

edit: Don't take that as me encouraging you to drive stupidly. The WRX is a practical, safe car. But it's also a very fun car. Just know your limits.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    I've got to say, I understand that everyone here means well with their recommendations of letting his father chose.
    Heh...I'm a dad, okay? My kids don't "let me choose" how to spend my money on them..I choose, and it's with their best interest at heart. I don't know this fellow's father, but I suspect that he's earned the right to have the last word about how his money is spent.

I agree with you that presentation counts. If my kid whines and cries for something, they lose points fast. It's a lesson that's meant to teach them about what does and doesn't work in life.

Quote Originally Posted by kempobmx1 View Post
    Unlike some people here - who are saying you should stay away from the WRX for now because you are young and insurance will be high, etc, etc - I support it.
    You haven't been here very long. Those of us that are veterans to the forum have watched while one teen after another wraps their WRX around a tree, rips the front bumper off (Sorry Martin ), flies down an embankment, etc. It's a testament to the safety of the car that we haven't had many deaths. The high insurance for teens and WRX's isn't random...it's because the insurance companies see how often youngsters get in trouble with the car.

Hey, perhaps this guy is a really safe driver, and it will all come out great. I was an idiot behind the wheel for the larger portion of my teens. I think a veritable army of guardian angels was assigned to keeping me alive..
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 03-15-2010 at 06:24 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    My parents have not one time contributed a dime in any vehicle I have ever owned. In fact my first car they did give me... Came
    with a bill!
    I feel for you bro. I bused it until I was like 22 (no way to save up the cash for a car at the time). then I found myself the lucky recipient of a 97 Altima mercifully donated by my mom. Grateful to this day for that!
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast