Subaru WRX Forum banner

Who's New Red STi ran my C6 Z51 Convertible 6-speed

8K views 64 replies 15 participants last post by  callmedoc 
#1 ·
Hey, just wondering if who I ran in north NJ is on here?

We got a couple good runs. I dont know why but we had no traffic and just "happen" to run into one another. We ran from about 55 and 60 to over 100 both times. I stayed in 3rd (but probably could have been in 2nd but my rear tires are balding for traction). He hung in for about 10 mph then I just started pulling away. Cool guy---had a long go-tee. Said he had headers (didnt know they made them for the STI), intake, catback. I told him he had a nice ride, he told me "yours is nicer.." Nice guy :thumbup:

I had an extra passenger and had the Top Down as well, but it was a lot of fun. My passenger pissed his pants. :tongue:

#5 ·
Forgive my stupidity, but don't EL headers only make a difference in very high-boost applications with very high EGT? UEL headers should make no difference with a stock setup, no?

#15 ·
Thanks man. To be honest, I was never a big fan of domestics, but the C6 is a special ride/effort by a domestic car maker. These things are beasts.

#18 ·
Thanks LPPtundWRX.

Power wise, im factory stock except for the optional "dual mode" exhaust (loud when you want it---quiet when you dont) and the $99 switch that allows you to hook it up to your homelink that allows you to go from "mild to wild" as they say. Its honestly fast enough for me (for now).

#21 ·
A friend of mine has a c5 2000. He's thinking of trading it because of all the issues...lights will not work correctly. HUD is going bad, etc.

He also said that Corvette tranny's are known to break.

Note: he has under 50k miles on the car. Plus, he's the original owner. Stock.

Good luck with your car.:)

#25 ·
Welcome! :D

I have a family member with a vette as well... a blast to drive :D

The subaru and vette are definitely different animals with different jobs to do, but they both get them done well

#28 ·
Nice vette. I got to drive my dads 08 z51, and wow. Handles Amazing, torque is incredible in 2nd and 3rd, and the hud is awesome, almost looks like its outside the windsheild. Once again, sweet ride :)

Chris

#31 ·
Thanks Chris. I think you have to drive a C6 to know what its all about. These things are monsters. At least you have a vette to drive once a while (that''s if your dad is willing to hand over the keys).

#35 ·
Thanks doc :)

Im stage 2 right now, I want to go stage 4 and have the money to do so, but im on stock tranny and motor at 149k, idk if its a good idea.

Chris

#36 ·
With the WRX and STi, after stage 2 there are too many variable options, so we pretty much disband the "stages". Do you have an 02 or 03? and which transmission code do you have? How much previous abuse has the car been through? How long has the car been stage 2? These are all questions I'd ask before even thinking about a turbo upgrade.

#37 ·
Just saw you have a 2002 (in your sig) I wouldn't recommend doing anything beyond stage two unless you have ~ 5k for a transmission rebuild or 2k for a used transmission....

#38 ·
Itd be a quick way to get to stage 10...

You know... stage 10 where the motor is in the garage in millions of pieces and the tranny is somewhere in the middle of town where it grenaded along with the motor...

(Im just playin man, answer Kevins questions and we will get you squared away.)

#44 ·
I have about 6k left from insurance money on the sti. I had full coverage so i ot 19k back for it. Is 6k enough for a sti 6 speed and to have it installed?

#46 ·
yup! :D And then you can turn around and sell the old used tranny for about a grand. But you should also think about replacing the clutch and flywheel while you're in there.

#50 ·
#54 ·
True story. I've seen the whole ball of wax for even cheaper before. Wish I would've jumped on it. It's probably going to be MFactory gears for me.

#55 ·
What kind of stress can the MFactory gears handle, and how much do they run for? Id really like the sti 6 speed though, i like not worrying about something breaking.

#57 ·
they're only "rated" for 350... but then again PPGs are only rated for 400. There are people on nasioc running much higher numbers with no problemos.

#58 ·
Driving style is, of course, very important here. I'm still running the stock '02 tranny with an 18G, and it's not going to grenade until at least tomorrow.

#60 ·
With the Tomei EL headers and tgv deletes on my 06 STI I made about 15hp peak and almost 30 ft/lb peak over stock set-up, with the area under the curve moving up everywhere, AND peak tq. came on about 350 rpm sooner. I'm only just past stg. 2 in my sti, definitely not a worthless mod for me. BTW I was pro tuned before and after, the headers and tgv deletes being the only difference. at only 18 psi I am 300/340 at precision tuning in lakewood, NJ (stock sti around 230 hp). They were my favorite power mod, besides tuning. Loads of torque and much earlier in the power band. :)

#61 ·
I would consider the 1st to 4th Helical Cut Synchromesh Gearset for Subaru WRX 5 Speed from PPG, this is the route Im going to go, currently waiting on my Evo III Big 16G, Megan Racing Catback, Cobb AP 2.0, and TurboXS replacement Y pipe.

BTW I did install a 1 piece header and uppipe set up and noticed a difference right away in throttle response and noise reduction in the cabin due to the heat wrap I put on them.

PPG's site

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.