Underestimating WRX's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Underestimating WRX's within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, I dont have an ego when it comes to racing. I love almost all cars, and i dont ...

Underestimating WRX's

First off, I dont have an ego when it comes to racing. I love almost all cars, and i dont mind losing, just love racing. That being said i am going to post a few of my races to see if people have had similar results, or if my car is a factory freak. I see alot of people with the same mods as me getting told they will get beat by cars i walk on a daily basis. (bias against subaru's? )

My car is a 02 wrx 195,xxx miles orig motor, trans ect..
    VF39, 17psi, 800cc inj, up,dp, UEL headers, cai, 12lbs flywheel, stock topmount, clutch and exhaust. (sleeper) OS road tune by a friend.

First race.. 03 saleen s281, kenne bell , bolt ons, 450 whp. 40 roll. Even hit, he got me by 1 1/2 cars to 110 mph. 2nd race with my 225 lbs passenger from a dig. I got him by 2+ cars to 100 mph.

01 ws6 full bolt ons. 40 roll, I missed 3rd and still caught him by 90. 2nd race, 20 roll, put 4+ cars on him by 90.
    Dig race wasnt even funny.. Buslenghts

I'll post more after you guys are done callin bs, but 350z's gti's, ect.from a roll, i walk bad..

I have ran a best time of 12.6 at 107.3 at bandimere (5600 ft) last year.

I live at sea level now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    holy crap, you trapped 107 MPH with only 17 PSI? I'm assuming you have a fully rebuilt motor hybrid 2.5...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I dont doubt it because Ive had similar experiences. I do believe that the driver is the biggest factor in any race though. But, scooby power is awesome!

I agree with matthew. Driver is a huge factor in street racing. Just a small jump in roll racing makes a big difference. I hate roll racing with my subaru, but most people wont race from a dig. When they here the two step its Zax, to answer your question it just a 2.0. I bought is stock at 90k miles and it ran 14.0 @ 97. With headers uppipe downpipe and no tune it ran 13.5 @ 101 mph. Now it has 190k miles with absolutly no problems. Subaru reliability FTW. I'm suprised it still has compression. I'm scared to check. The motor could have been built before i bought it but the guy didn't tell me. I did all the work myself so i know its not a 2.5 block.

[QUOTE=popshot;2585396]
    VF39, 17psi, 800cc inj, up,dp, UEL headers, cai, 12lbs flywheel, stock topmount, clutch and exhaust. (sleeper) OS road tune by a friend.

QUOTE]

what is your whp? What kind of headers are you running?
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Megan racing headers. I dont know the whp, never had it dyno'd. By the trap speed i would estimate its a little over 300.
    I forgot to mention i've pulled about 200 lbs out of it. That made a huge difference.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by popshot View Post
    I forgot to mention i've pulled about 200 lbs out of it. That made a huge difference.
    There's the reason right there. 200 lb makes a ton of difference in car as "light" as the wrx.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Why only 17psi? You could easily go 20-22psi. Was it an altitude thing?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Why only 17psi? You could easily go 20-22psi. Was it an altitude thing?
    The stock exhaust really limited me on my tune. That 107 mph pass was open downpipe. I drive this car alot so 22 psi might be a little much. I have another vehicle, but the wrx is more fun. I am going to put on a tdo6 18g, water/meth, fmic and a catback and turn it up to 22+ until the tranny or the motor blows.
    I'm tuning it on the dyno so i will post numbers when i get them.

how did you remove 200 lbs?
    Teach me!
    haha
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

The stock exhaust really limited me on my tune. That 107 mph pass was open downpipe. I drive this car alot so 22 psi might be a little much. I have another vehicle, but the wrx is more fun. I am going to put on a tdo6 18g, water/meth, fmic and a catback and turn it up to 22+ until the tranny or the motor blows.
    I'm tuning it on the dyno so i will post numbers when i get them.
    Screw that... get a decent TBE and tune it for E85. 21psi on E85 will get you 330+whp and be a good DD. You have the injectors and the fuel pump for it... as long as you have E85 around you. 22psi on VF39 is not bad...

I'd also go PPG or STI tranny before I pay cash for a new turbo...
    Last edited by Pavia; 03-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Findus11 View Post
    how did you remove 200 lbs?
    Teach me!
    haha
    Lots of work. The a/c, everything in the trunk, bumper beams, light rims are the main ones.

Pavia, I live in socal so there isn't much e85 around here, just good ole 91 octane. Alky injection is more affordable than filling up on c16.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    First off, I dont have an ego when it comes to racing. I love almost all cars, and i dont mind losing, just love racing. That being said i am going to post a few of my races to see if people have had similar results, or if my car is a factory freak. I see alot of people with the same mods as me getting told they will get beat by cars i walk on a daily basis. (bias against subaru's? )

First race.. 03 saleen s281, kenne bell , bolt ons, 450 whp. 40 roll. Even hit, he got me by 1 1/2 cars to 110 mph. 2nd race with my 225 lbs passenger from a dig. I got him by 2+ cars to 100 mph.

01 ws6 full bolt ons. 40 roll, I missed 3rd and still caught him by 90. 2nd race, 20 roll, put 4+ cars on him by 90.
    Dig race wasnt even funny.. Buslenghts

I'll post more after you guys are done callin bs, but 350z's gti's, ect.from a roll, i walk bad..

I have ran a best time of 12.6 at 107.3 at bandimere (5600 ft) last year.

I live at sea level now.
    I aspire for my car to be this good some day....
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    I aspire for my car to be this good some day....
    You should set your goals higher.. My car feels slow to me now. There is no such thing as fast enough. One day i will have a daily driver like this

YouTube - NRE 522 Big Block Twin-Turbo '63 Pontiac Tempest

I get people underestimating my car all the time since I'm in an Rs. Had a Porsche last night on the way home from working on building my sti engine at my buddies garage and he got on my ass for some reason. When we hit the slow merge area after the on ramp to the highway he flew out to the left lane and passed me. When he was next to me I dropped a gear. He moved back over to the right lane floored as I flew right by him. I gave him the ricer 4 ways just to piss him off. If was hard to tell what it was the 2 seconds he had in front of me but it was some sort of newer Cararra model. This type of thing happens all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast