Subaru WRX Forum banner

How fast will my stage 2.5(vf39) wrx be?

13K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  turbotwist 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I currently have a 2004 wrx w/cobb stage 2. Im soon going to upgrade to the cobb vf39/stage 2.5 map with vf39, sti tmic, sti pink injectors and walbro 255 fp. Now, my question is, with this setup, approximately how fast will my quarter mile time and trap speeds be. Im really curious to know before I head out to the track once I get this setup installed

Also, what will be my quarter mile time and trap speed w/ a stage 2.5 Protune.

Also, I know that the times and trap speeds will differ from driver to driver depending on driving skills and conditions, but I want to know what the most achievable times and trap speeds are with this setup considering that the driver is flawless and conditions are very good and the track is at a low altitude, etc.

Thank you for your time:)

#3 ·
Mid to low 13's would be my guess.

The car in a perfect world with a proper tune and good driving might be high 12's.

#4 ·
I had a VF34 with the pinks on my first WRX. It's been a while, but it seems to me like there were many people with similar setups and Protunes that were well into the 12's.

#6 ·
Not a single one. :)
I'm no drag racer, and have no intentions of going that way. I suspect that it wouldn't take too many hard trips down the strip for my current engine to shred my tranny.

#7 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
Not a single one. :)
I'm no drag racer, and have no intentions of going that way. I suspect that it wouldn't take too many hard trips down the strip for my current engine to shred my tranny.
The question was geared towards the OP, but since you chimed in, have you ever thought about letting an experienced Subaru driver run the car just to get an idea what kind of #s you'd be looking at? Someone who knows what they're doing would probably have a good chance of making it down the track safely.

#8 ·
Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to horn in with an answer that no one asked me. :rotfl:

I'm sorta past the bragging rights thing; it's a wonderfully quick car to drive, day-to-day, that's all I wanted. I'm not even that curious about what it would run. :)

#11 ·
Thats how i look at my car, not a 1/4 mile monster, just a quick fun daily driver. Id have something with an ls1 or a f body 5.0 if i wanted something really fast.. and loud. I get to drive my dads z51 vette every now and then, so that gets the speed outta my system. Or if i wanna feel like a gorrila is holding me n the seat we bust out the 69 chevelle ss... its scarey fast n pretty much only goes straight lol.

Chris

#12 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to horn in with an answer that no one asked me. :rotfl:

I'm sorta past the bragging rights thing; it's a wonderfully quick car to drive, day-to-day, that's all I wanted. I'm not even that curious about what it would run. :)
I was trying to think of a smart remark about you answering, but everything I started typing made me out to be a DB :sadwave:

There's nothing wrong with your mentality. I haven't dragged my car either - if I was looking for a drag car, I wouldn't have bought a Subaru. I just figured for $20 (that's the cost to run at my track), it may be interesting to see what the car was capable of.

#13 · (Edited)
i'd guess with a decent driver and a good launch etc... and let's say you're making the average 260-280whp with similar torque range and depending on what rpm you get that torque to kick in looking at high 12s to low 13s trapping 105 +- a mph or 2. used to have a vf34 then switched to a vf48 because i was having issues made 280/275. hated it because of the 2.0L(piggish and no real usable torque for daily driving) now have a 09 making more power with just a downpipe and STOCK exhaust ;) and hitting peak torque 1k rpm sooner @ 2700. those are just my 2 cents though on basic quarter mile times. hell when i had my vf34(i was probably putting down 250 on cobb ots map before being protuned) i bogged it and ran a 14.2 @ 100 so...driver makes the difference haha. that was years ago though, can safely say i know how to launch my car now.

#19 ·
Oh, okay. Just so you know an F-body is a Camaro or Firebird.

#22 ·
I hear ya, but F-body is literally the Camaro Firebird body code.

#26 ·
I love Scoobies, no doubt. But the gearing isn't really for the highway, as perviously stated. But I don't fancy 130 mph jaunts myself! I keep her around town mostly and on the interstate she gets to 70-75 and just cruises. If I could have a second car right now it would be a Subaru.

#27 ·
Some Subarus do just fine on the top end. They just have a more impressive 1/8th due to traction.

I doubt I'll have any complaints about my car's straight line speed when I get it back in a few weeks. Then when it gets boring I'll add a meth kit and crank it up a little more.

Check out the Legacy GT vs. Camaro thread in this section. One guy's Legacy spins the tires from a 3rd gear roll thanks to 580 whp. It should trap at over 130 mph in that configuration. The 2.5 has great potential.

#28 ·
No doubt. You can make power with anything. So when you have a nice set up like the 2.5 its gets fairly easy! I've just heard the gearing is set up more close ratio. Its my understanding that they aren't a top end car. Not to suggest they can't do 150, but that 170 to 200 might be asking a lot of the stock gear ratios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.