Legacy GT vs Camero SS - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Legacy GT vs Camero SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M I'm getting Eagle rods & Wiseco pistons so my engine should be as stout as ...

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I'm getting Eagle rods & Wiseco pistons so my engine should be as stout as his except I don't have any headwork where he's got cams and the 1mm larger valves. There just wouldn't be enough power gained on my current setup to justify the expense. My goal is to max out the FP HTA Green and still have a car that's fun to drive around town. That turbo of his is HUGE though; my 57lb/min doesn't compare with 72+lb/min.

To go any faster I'd need to switch to a rotated setup and I just don't think I need that in a street car. Well, that and if I want to go much faster I'll start with a car that has more engine to begin with.
    if you ever plan on going over that 450-500whp range don't get the eagle rods go strait to the crowers. and don't skimp out on good bolts. just because the new rods come with bolts doesn't mean there as strong as possible.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I didnt know legacy's came with stronger tranny's than wrxs thats pretty cool. how do they handle? a wrx fanboy told me they handle like crap but he is not very knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmaj7th View Post
    I didnt know legacy's came with stronger tranny's than wrxs thats pretty cool. how do they handle? a wrx fanboy told me they handle like crap but he is not very knowledgeable.
    They are stronger...but nothing overwhelmingly stronger. The 6-spd in the Spec.B and in the newer Legacies are even stronger than the 5-spds.

Legacy's handle like a sedan. Little more body roll and a little more sloppy of a feel than a basic Impreza. But of course there are the usual suspension mods that can drastically increase handling performance.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

They say anything over 350whp is on borrowed time on a stock Legacy transmission. I don't do much racing from a stop but then again, some have stripped a gear from a 3rd gear roll. I'm planning to switch to a 6spd at some point before going with meth or E85 and more boost. There's only so much you can ask from the stock transmission.

Just a set of sways does wonders for handling. I haven't touched handling or brakes yet but now that the go-fast part is settled, it gives me something else to work on.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

is the tranny strong enough to be a DD at stage II?

I don't think anybody has broken one at just stage 2. You're talking a max of ~ 275 whp (and 300 wtq). I'd recommend a clutch & WRX flywheel just to get rid of the dual-mass system they come with. It does wonders for engagement feel.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Having owned an 02 WRX, 04 STi, and 05 LGT, I can safely say the the STi was easily the best performing, but the LGT took care of the ricer wannabe's always trying to challenge, and was much easier on the kidneys for a DD.

That being said, the one frustration I had with the LGT (cobb stage 2 build) was the clutch. You are pretty much unable to get any kind of a good launch with the stock clutch. I forget the specific issue, but something about the build only allowed for the clutch to spin without engaging when launching under high RPMs. After going from being to spin all 4 tires in the STi, I found this extremely frustrating. Brakes could have been better too, but just tossing on some aftermarket pads worked wonders. Overall, I found the STi to be the most exhilirating, but the LGT was by far the better DD/sleeper. Hard to "sleep" with the STi's massive wing anyway eh?

The sleeper factor was pretty kew though. I got more notches on the belt from the LGT than anything else. People just don't suspect what you have under the hood. My fav was 350Z's..especially at higher elevations...turbo over NA FTW.

FYI..a build on an LGT is more expensive unless you go all new parts. For those on a budget, used parts for an LGT are a bit more pricier. As usual, patience is your friend when going down this path.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.