Subaru WRX Forum banner

Beat by jetta 1.8t?!?!

58K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
I just bought my 08' metallic grey WRX sedan. I met some punk in aa 2002 -2003 VW jetta 1.8T and decided to do a couple of pulls. He beat me by a car length each time. What a kick in the nuts...i only have a Catback exhaust but I still figured my scoobie could take him. I would like to do some engine mods so this doesnt happen again but my warrenty has my hands teid. Anyone else have any embarrassing stories?

#2 ·
If you did it from a stoplight and you are a fairly good driver I can't see how it took you unless it wasn't stock.

In terms of embarrassing stories, ricers always seem to park next to me when I walk into the store for a few minutes.

#13 · (Edited)
i hope far from stock cause i raced my buddies gli, brand newish aka 2008 with apr stage 2 93 octane mode with hpfp and downpipe etc... and it was a joke dig and roll(60+) i had JUST flashed stage 1 at his house and i go stage 2 this friday with the install of my invidia downpipe. he's a c*cky little one haha. i'm a huge VW fan btw was thinking about getting a gti, just, i'm sorry awd is worth it. plus i think the interiors are highly overrated. my sister has a jetta but she's getting her gli soon, can't wait to chip it ;)

#9 ·
unfortunately the gap between a 1.8t jetta and 2008 wrx can be closed very quickly due to the transmission loss and the fact tha the 2008 wrx doesn't have much over 220hp....

if it was a 2009 wrx it would have or should have easily smoke it, either the 08 or 09 should take it of the line though...

#11 ·
well, back in the day when i had my 05 wrx(i have an 09 now :)) i raced a silver 1.8t mk4, same as yours, from a roll say around 40ish. i was stage 2 with a downpipe, perrin pulley, k&n drop in and the ap stage 2, well, this thing stayed next to me the whole time i made a thread on here back in the day. it had no muffler or anything it looked completely stock and was debadged. with a tune and maybe just a downpipe those jetta 1.8ts from a roll are very fast. no surprise there so don't be.

#14 ·
I used to own a 2004 VW GTi 1.8T with a turboback, tune, fmic, intake, and a couple of other mods and since I have owned that, I will NEVER buy a VW again. It was pretty quick but it seemed like it had problems after problems. I traded it in on my 06 STi and has been the best decision I have made. No regrets on my end.

#20 ·
I have an embarrassing story:

Back in the day about 2-3 years ago:

Was stock except for an Hks melon shooter catback, a stock Ford Focus hung neck and neck with me from a roll :eek:

Not as embarrassing but still embarrassing nonetheless:

Was same as above in mods, but with a helix tmic, a Rsx-S with mods was on my arse the whole time and I couldn't pull away.

Now with my mods, I don't have a problem with them anymore :tongue:

#21 ·
The RSX was turbo'd? no wonder...

On another note, I imagine RSXs (and anything with 11:1+ compression ratio) are very difficult to turbo, considering that high compression would cause detonation with boost...

#23 ·
this whole thread is funny.. ya'll do realize that just because you have a wrx that doesn't mean its unbeatable. ... there's always someone faster. Always

love my wrx, its quicker than most and a boatload of fun.. but def not the fastest thing out there. :rotfl: to even assume so would be ignorant. :wiggles:

#33 ·
Definitely sounds like he had a Stage 2 tune, and downpipe if he blew flame. The 1.8t with tunes and basic engine upgrades are actually pretty affective. If it was a stage 2 he would probably be sitting at 235HP / 275LB-FT.
Also depends if he had a ko3 or ko3s or possibly a ko4 then the would be sitting at 350+HP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.