Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

08 STI Protuned Stg 2 vs (Modded) SRT4

10K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  RayfieldsWRX 
#1 ·
A little background.....got a kid at work with a modded SRT4 talking trash about taking me down.

It started when I bought the STI, he saw me pull up and said thats a nice car, my SRT4 would love to eat it. I just chuckled cause he was probably right at the time with me being stock.

On a daily basis he hounds me to go street race. He wants to go from a 60 MPH roll on the freeway. I think he defintely has me in that scenario (AWD vs FWD up top). I said sure we can give it a run, why not.

Then the kid has the sack to say lets put a $1000 on it. Thats when I stopped him. I said you want to put some money on it we are going from the dig. I had a SRT4 about 3 years ago and that car couldnt hook up worth a ****. It has power but wheel hop is its demise. I think he realizes the bus lengths I would put on him on the launch.

So he rebutles thats fine but we have to go until 150 MPH. I just stood there shaking my head. I told him there is no way Im going to 150 on the streets. I told him 100 MPH on a empty freeway. He said fine but not for any money. I said fine, 1 from a dig and 1 from the 60mph roll.

My mods are as follows:
Full 3 Inch TBE Catless
Protune Stage 2

His from what Ive seen/heard:
Bigger front mount IC
Manual Boost controller (Tells me he is running 17 PSI)
Bigger turbo
4 Inch TBE

I just want to get it over and done with. Everyday he comes in to work with a off the wall kill story. If he tells me anymore stories of him lighting up Z06's/Supercharged Mustangs and Crotch Rockets I think Im gonna puke :barf:

Im 99.9% sure from a dig he won't come close to catching me by 100MPH. Im also sure from a 60MPH roll he is gonna walk away from me. What do you think?

See less See more
#4 ·
I have never raced to 150MPH. I havent even cracked 110 MPH in my car yet. Also I have never raced for money. I think he brought it up $1000 part to solidify his confidence/****yness or to get into my head.

#5 · (Edited)
I concur.....thats why this has been an ongoing session for almost a year now. Im 32 years old, more mature and dont even want to street race. I just want to shut this kid up. I tried to get him to go to the track, I tried selling him on the fact he will have a better chance from the dig cause they prep it. He just wants this 60 MPH roll.

Only problem, if he wins that 60MPH roll (which I think he will) he will continue run his mouth.

#8 ·
Trust me.....I exercise the STI's WOT ability to reach the 35 MPH speed limit with the quickness at almost every light.

I am like you tho.....rather do it solo without the kid bumping Eminem songs next to me with the sideways hat reving his car.

#9 ·
This is just from my experience, but it seems like almost every single SRT4 races ALL the time. I have had a person in an SRT4 try and race my K5 blazer. It just doesnt make sense. I dont like to judge other peoples cars but do they have to prove to everyone that their car is fast even though its a neon?

#10 ·
If your gona go for $1K, do it at a track with a light... thats as official as it will get. There is not backing down from a loss there... you can even do best 2 out of 3.

If he wants to go from a 60 roll... then counter that you want to go from a dig on a dirt road. No one races for money from a 60 roll and no one races for money from a dig on a dirt road (talking about street racers, i'm sure some of you guys have tried).

All i have to say is that kid is an idiot... there is no reason to race to 150. Just because he might win a race to 150 doesn't mean he has the fastest car. I had had two Eagle talons, one was AWD turbo and the other one was N/A FWD. I hit 157MPH in the N/A one and the turbo one i couldn't get above 145. The N/A talon did the 1/4 in 15.9... the AWD did it in 13.6. Which is faster?

Old story from when i drove my Spec-v...

There was a guy in Shreveport that drove an N/A Eclipse with nothing more than a fart can and hub caps. We use to hang out in parking lot on weekends and he would come out and drive around reving on us and take off trying to look hard... this guy couldn't even scratch 2nd gear. One day this guy called him out to see if he wanted to race (2002 Spec-v 75 shot... low 14's 1/4). The guy in the Eclipse agreed to race but only for $3k... ya not 100 bucks, or 500.... not even 1k. He was bluffing, he didn't even have money im sure. My friend said "i don't have that money" so the guy said "well your not worth racing..." We all laughed. I even raced him with 4 people in my car when we happen to catch him at a light months later. We were stopped talking to him asking him to take it easy on us... bla bla bla. light when green and i wooped the crap out of him with 4 people in my car. my friends were hanging out the windows rowing the whole time, thats what won the race (2004 spec-v - header, intake, exhaust, JWT cams, UDP, intake, full exhaust, light weight rims).

Long post summed up:

Don't race him he is an idiot. I bet he will total is car before the end of summer.

#13 ·
Just tell him roll racing is not real racing. If he wants to go, you'll meet him at the dragstrip or the next autocross... his choice ;)

I agree, anyone who street races up to 150mph is living on borrowed time. Plus, I'm willing bet everyone within earshot of this guy secretly thinks he's an idiot. Don't join his ranks...

#14 ·
He sounds like a fool.

There is something about Neon SRT4s trying to race Subarus, I mean it seems every single one I ever see tries to race me. Il be honest there are a few here in the city that i couldnt even touch without a rotated turbo kit. I dont know, they are fast but most are junk and driven by punk kids with caps on sideways.

#16 ·
Do both of yourselves a favor and take it to the dragstrip. If you get pulled over racing I can tell you 2 things. One, if you beet him, he won't pay up. Two, you will end up out the $1000 even if he does pay up. (ticket, insurance premium, and possible impound)

On a strip a good driver of an SRT4 in bone stock form on street tires can run high 13's. With the mods he is claiming (not sure who the hell actually runs 4inch exhaust on an srt4) On street tires he could possibly run 12.8-13.2 if he's a good driver. A good srt4 driver > traction. Now if he's a crappy driver, he will run 15's all day long.

#17 ·
sounds like a bunch of what if's to me. take to the track, if he's that desperate for a run. tell him to bring slicks to make up for your awd launch. maybe race for gas or a $20 spot. anything else just sounds like it belongs in the F&TF movies. and is really stupid.

off topic and totally stupid on my part but 60 to 150 only take about 10 seconds in a highly modded srt, so racing to 150 isn't that insane. ok well it is but not quite as bad as it sounds on paper.

#18 ·
off topic and totally stupid on my part but 60 to 150 only take about 10 seconds in a highly modded srt, so racing to 150 isn't that insane. ok well it is but not quite as bad as it sounds on paper.
Tell that to the police after they pull you over.

#20 ·
don't be hatin. :baaa: don't have the car anymore so i don't see that happening anytime soon.

#21 ·
Pffff

I'd say to the person: STFU I'm rollin a fatty STi ... Your Sh*t is whack ... And trust me Jr. I'm faster than you ... If he still mouthed off ... well. Thats a different story.

#23 ·
^^^^haha this!

Seriously though next time he bugs you tell him your not into ridiculous speeds, find a highway and do a 0-75 pull in the middle of nowhere during the day. (never could figure out why people like to race to triple digit speeds, or race at night....its so much easier to get caught at night!)

Of course he'll blow by you once you shut down at 75, on his way to 100+ and claim he won, but at least you'll know you own him where it matters.

#25 ·
guess your 1/8 mile racing then and not 1/4. at least go to 100.

#27 ·
tell this kid to screw off and grow some balls to race you on the 1/4. I love kid that think the only race is a roll from 60 mph.

Truth is he probably cant even do a proper burn out at the strip, let alone know how to launch a turbo FWD car properly.

oh and he beats crotch rockets eeeh. Trust me, it will take one bad SRT-4 to knock off any modern 1liter sport bike.

#36 ·
tell this kid to screw off and grow some balls to race you on the 1/4. I love kid that think the only race is a roll from 60 mph.

Truth is he probably cant even do a proper burn out at the strip, let alone know how to launch a turbo FWD car properly.

oh and he beats crotch rockets eeeh. Trust me, it will take one bad SRT-4 to knock off any modern 1liter sport bike.
i was nose to nose with a 08 gsxr1000. it had a pipe, filter, tune. from 60, shut down at 140 for up coming traffic. on pump gas tune. my fav race ever. and 99% people don't believe it. including me.

#29 ·
Challenge him to see who can pick up the most girls...

The STI will always win over a skittle... And, really, isn't that a far better measure of awesomeness? ;)

Those seats do fold down in the back, don't they?

#31 ·
Next time yall are leaving work honk at him and roll your rear power windowns down. SRT-4s dont have rear power windows... they are only in the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.