dispatched a e55 amg on the way home - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on dispatched a e55 amg on the way home within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had the same problem anyone else does with a Subaru -- at least one cracked ring land (teardown still ...

I had the same problem anyone else does with a Subaru -- at least one cracked ring land (teardown still underway). It's the Achilles's heel of the engine's design and while it's apart to get new pistons I might as well upgrade a few other things.

Many people have zero problems but for those that do, 99% of the time it's a ring land.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

man, I do not want to take this thread of subject, but I hope Subaru fixed this issue on the 2010s, one of the reasons I am actually scared to get one is because of that issue..

Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    how much power and what model car you have? im pushing 300 whp and 371 tq and i got stomped.

edit- stomped by a real ss that is, I beat the one by a car length. your car model would help in this story because a stage 2 wrx wont take down a ls1 nor a amg. If you have a sti maybe a ls1 and thats a big maybe.
    06 sti. what did you get stomped by?? If you think a stage 2 sti isnt capable of beating a ls1 you are sorely mistaken.
    Last edited by turbotwist; 01-27-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx jay View Post
    If it was in fact a real AMG, there is no way that that happened.
    like I said before the 02 e55 amg has 350hp and is heavier. The power jumps up considerably in 03-up, so more than likely it wasnt one on those. I believe they stopped making the e55 in either 05 or 06. For what it's worth I have owned everything from musclecars to trucks to imports and I dont feel the need to make things up when it comes to racing other vehicles. I just figured others would be interested as this matchup probably doesnt come along all that often.
    Last edited by turbotwist; 01-27-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I had the same problem anyone else does with a Subaru -- at least one cracked ring land (teardown still underway). It's the Achilles's heel of the engine's design and while it's apart to get new pistons I might as well upgrade a few other things.

Many people have zero problems but for those that do, 99% of the time it's a ring land.
    So, does that mean, no one should get a GREEN turbo for their forester?? Forester Engine not strong enough? I've heard about tranny issues, but engine issues? I know you are pulling large numbers with the GREEN.

Don't get me wrong. I just was wondering what you were thinking when you put the GREEN into the forester when the engine is not as strong as the STI engine?? Are they the same motor??
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    06 sti. what did you get stomped by?? If you think a stage 2 sti isnt capable of beating a ls1 you are sorely mistaken.
    I can see it going both ways , you dont see many stock ls1's. Has your car been on a dyno?
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang View Post
    So, does that mean, no one should get a GREEN turbo for their forester?? Forester Engine not strong enough? I've heard about tranny issues, but engine issues? I know you are pulling large numbers with the GREEN.

Don't get me wrong. I just was wondering what you were thinking when you put the GREEN into the forester when the engine is not as strong as the STI engine?? Are they the same motor??
    I have a Legacy GT, and the engine is identical to the STi's right down to the same part number. My sig is clickable -- it lists everything on the car. There are a good number of 400+ whp LGTs on stock engines.

But, it's also easy to find stories of cracked ring lands on a 100% stock car, or at the most Stage 1. This is true for any of the 2.5 liter cars of the past few years. Subaru's simply barf their ring lands at the first sign of detonation. One bad tank of gas or even a bad stock tune and it's toast.

I look at it as another "forced upgrade opportunity." Everything I removed has been replaced with stronger parts. You can bet I won't have this trouble again.

If/when the transmission lets go it'll be time for a 6spd swap. I don't beat on the car so it should last a while.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    I can see it going both ways , you dont see many stock ls1's. Has your car been on a dyno?
    I agree there arent all that many stock ls1's. At stage 1 I put out just under 290whp and a little over 300 wtq......it's been a while, but I think I have my dyno chart somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post

I had a cracked ringland in cyl 4 at just under 60k. put it back to stock and subaru gave me a new shortblock no questions asked! Couldnt believe it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123