wrx or gto
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx or gto within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So once i am out of college i am going to either get a wrx or a 05 gto. I ...

wrx or gto

So once i am out of college i am going to either get a wrx or a 05 gto. I cant really decide on which one to get.... the wrx has awd and with some work it can become really fast. The gto is rwd and is fast as balls stock but doesnt handle as good as the wrx... i like to drive on curvy roads and the wrx would stomp the gto but im sure if i did some handling work to the gto it could work pretty good. I like the fact that the gto is insanely quick in stock form. I like the looks of the wrx better and i like the sound of the wrx better too so im stumped on which one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You are on a subaru site asking if you sould get a gto what do you think you are going to get told. A subaru would stomp that gto to 60 and drop it around the nearest coner. Get the Subaru.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think I agree that the WRX would stomp it. Under circumstances very specific to an STi, the STi would beat it. I would find it hard to believe a stock WRX would be able to keep up with a GTO after 60mph.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I traded in my '04 GTO for my 07 WRX TR, BEst decision of my life.

I was getting 9-12mpg with the GTO and i dont have a long trip to work(less than 3 miles) the car took forever to warm up.

the WRX is warm by the time i get two blocks away, and is getting me 21 mpg city.

I had a srt-4 that i traded in for the GTO. It felt so good to come home to a manual turbo, AWD is a plus too.

go with the WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    a stock wrx will beat the gto to 60 but the gto will probably surpass the wrx by 65...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

+ however many people posted above me

Are you looking at an '09-'10 or a used older wrx? Besides it sounds like you like everything about the wrx better than the gto except that the gto is fast as balls stock, which is also true for an 09-newer wrx(love my car!!), and with, im sure, less money than would be needed to upgrade the gto's handling you could make your wrx faster than the gto, IMHO

+ ∞ to the wrx
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

im looking at a 04 and up preferably but mine is going to be auto. just to let you guys know the 2005 gto automatic does 0-60 in 4.6 secs assuming you get traction right off the bat so id say that blows away the wrx and the sti in stock form. The mtx gto is 4.7 secs and yes i do like a lot of things about the wrx. handling wise the wrx is better by far but if i put money into the gto could it be close? another factor, the gto has 400hp so about 340 rwhp and the wrx maybe 210 awhp if im right? so quite a bit more. they both have 4 seats and a big trunk so no issue there. i just cant really decide cause i like both and gas millage wont really bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarsman View Post
    im looking at a 04 and up preferably but mine is going to be auto. just to let you guys know the 2005 gto automatic does 0-60 in 4.6 secs assuming you get traction right off the bat so id say that blows away the wrx and the sti in stock form. The mtx gto is 4.7 secs and yes i do like a lot of things about the wrx. handling wise the wrx is better by far but if i put money into the gto could it be close? another factor, the gto has 400hp so about 340 rwhp and the wrx maybe 210 awhp if im right? so quite a bit more. they both have 4 seats and a big trunk so no issue there. i just cant really decide cause i like both and gas millage wont really bother me.
    why auto? it just seems auto takes away from all the fun of driving a sports car..

stock 2009 wrx 4.8 seconds..i wouldnt say its getting blown away by any means..add an TBE and protune and gto
    0-60 2009 wrx

opps i didnt read up on the 09... auto i just like it for the ease of driving.

And the GTO adds a canned tune, handheld programmer, or DIY from hptuners and look at all that "found" power for a few hundred bucks.

A few more bolt on's and spray and you're in the 11s, or even 10s with slicks and if the axles hold. There's always heads, cam, and blower kits too. Power production is one area where the GTO has zero issues.

Having said all that, I've gone "all in" on my Subaru. It'll soon make all the power I could want -- for now
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

there's only one question you have to ask yourself.
    do you want to go straight or take turns?

straight=gto
    turns=wrx

no matter how much suspension work you do, its not going to feel like an awd. and stiffening a rwd high power car like the gto may only make the car more OVERsteer happy
    Last edited by abhiwan; 01-22-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: OVERSTEER! i had written under
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

the GTO has a TINY trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    And the GTO adds a canned tune, handheld programmer, or DIY from hptuners and look at all that "found" power for a few hundred bucks.

A few more bolt on's and spray and you're in the 11s, or even 10s with slicks and if the axles hold. There's always heads, cam, and blower kits too. Power production is one area where the GTO has zero issues.
    Yeah but the OP said hes getting out of college so im assuming whichever car he gets is going to be a DD..although it would be awesome to have a 10 sec car..it doesnt seem practical unless the plan is to have the car strictly for the track..if thats the case then GTO all the way

But if your looking for a solid DD with solid power and a few mods to get you amazing handling and power..09-10 WRX FTW

That's the good thing about a bottle. You drive it all week with just a tune & mild work. If you hit the track once every few months you swap tires, arm the system, and you're instantly 3 seconds faster than before. It won't hurt daily driving duties in the least unless you happen to break something during your visit.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Is that a real question in a wrx forum?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast