wrx or gto - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx or gto within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; still can't believe im reading this question on a wrx forum...

still can't believe im reading this question on a wrx forum

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFwrxSTi View Post
    still can't believe im reading this question on a wrx forum
    Are you shocked by the question or the answers?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

i am and im not. i know that a GTO is a beast but this is still a wrx forum.

The 04 gto has a decent sized trunk because the subs that come standard in the 05 arent in there. If i get one i might take the subs out to give me more trunk space and your right about the 911 handling well, i just figure if a 911 can handle and say a aston martin dbs then the gto could too. Im prob looking at dropping 5k into sus mods if i got a gto but i do realize it will never be as good as awd. I mainly like to drive on twisty roads so i might go with the wrx. I just wonder how much it would cost to get a 04-07 wrx auto, under the 5 sec 0-60 range...... 5k? i figured 250 whp on the auto trans driven normally wouldnt kill it hopefully.....

Quote Originally Posted by cougarsman View Post
    The 04 gto has a decent sized trunk because the subs that come standard in the 05 arent in there. If i get one i might take the subs out to give me more trunk space and your right about the 911 handling well, i just figure if a 911 can handle and say a aston martin dbs then the gto could too. Im prob looking at dropping 5k into sus mods if i got a gto but i do realize it will never be as good as awd. I mainly like to drive on twisty roads so i might go with the wrx. I just wonder how much it would cost to get a 04-07 wrx auto, under the 5 sec 0-60 range...... 5k? i figured 250 whp on the auto trans driven normally wouldnt kill it hopefully.....
    a turbo back and a good tune would get you to that hp level out of an 06/07. that wouldn't cost no more then 2k with new parts less then 1k with used parts. the 02-05 may take a little more due to the smaller motor, a turbo upgrade may be in order and that may will cost more then 5k, but you will get close to or over 300whp. i don't know much about the 4EAT, if it can handle that, check the 4EAT sub-forum.
    VDC, VTC, and 4EAT - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

go stick shift, you have more control and its more fun.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

1/4 mile times

Pulling a 10 second 1/4 mile time in ANY car would take a near professional driver. Just because a car has the power to do it, still leaves a long time of learning for a driver to figure how to do it. I have driven a 2002 and 2007 Z06 corvette (I have a very happy retired father with both) - both post times in the low 11s - I doubt I could make either of those cars do that. A split second hesitation on shifting, or letting the tires go, and you are back in the 12s if you are lucky.

I am not sure most people understand how insanely fast 11 second 1/4 miles feel.

All that said... When I drive an American V8 muscle car, I feel like I am driving a really fast boat. When I get in my WRX, I feel like I am driving a really fast jetski - I prefer the jetski feeling.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

im looking at a 04 and up preferably but mine is going to be auto.
    Why would you rather get driven than drive?

The trunks are the same between the 04 and the 05-06 cars. There's no subs in the trunk either. There is a small amp behind the trunk carpet on the left side, but it's not visible and the size of a small paperback book.

The reason the trunk space is tight is because GM had to move the fuel tank of the Holden Monaro (which the GTO is largely based) from underneath the trunk to just over the axles (taking up much of the trunk space just behind the rear seat. They had to do that to pass US safety regulations.

It's not that bad though...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

FYI: There are differences between the three years the GTO was made:

2004: LS1 engine (5.7L, 350hp), non-hood scoop hood, smaller brakes, exhaust tips on one side of the rear valance (although it is still a true dual exhaust).

2005: LS2 engine (6.0L, 400hp), hood scoops, exhaust tips exiting on each side of the rear valance, bigger brakes w/ red calipers.

2006: Same as 2005, except for blackened rear taillights, lighted radio buttons on the steering wheel, and optional 18" alloy rims available.
    Last edited by Pavia; 01-26-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Pulling a 10 second 1/4 mile time in ANY car would take a near professional driver. Just because a car has the power to do it, still leaves a long time of learning for a driver to figure how to do it. I have driven a 2002 and 2007 Z06 corvette (I have a very happy retired father with both) - both post times in the low 11s - I doubt I could make either of those cars do that. A split second hesitation on shifting, or letting the tires go, and you are back in the 12s if you are lucky.

I am not sure most people understand how insanely fast 11 second 1/4 miles feel.

All that said... When I drive an American V8 muscle car, I feel like I am driving a really fast boat. When I get in my WRX, I feel like I am driving a really fast jetski - I prefer the jetski feeling.

slow. : i made a post about the gto in the wrx vs muscle cars thread. the goat is great car.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Ive owned a 2004 GTO and a 2009 STI and the GTO was nothing special. Once you go Subaru you will never go back to those " other car companies" untill they get their sh*t straight. The GTO was no fun on the curves. Horrible suspension.
    Last edited by Nigel79; 01-26-2010 at 05:40 PM.

I recently had to answer this same question. My car buying decision came down to the Subaru WRX (09-10), Acura TL Type-S (04-07), or the Pontiac GTO (05-06).

The TL has a ridiculously sexy interior and the most gadgets, but is the least fun. The GTO is simple, fast, and comfortable; the best sounding by far, as well. There were some reliability issues with them however (both major and minor) as previously noted. The WRX ended up pulling in front despite having a rather sub-par interior. It can hold all of my gear, it is as fast as the GTO (and can also go in snow/rain), handle better, and will get MUCH better gas mileage.

I ended up doing the gas calculations for cars... My current car requires about 40 gallons a month. The TL would require 48 and the WRX needs 50. The GTO would need over 100. While the GTO's can be had for under $15k, between the cost of monthly payments+gas I'd be putting into a used/old GTO, I could get a brand spanking new '10 WRX. Spending that much on gas just seems ridiculous to me, even though I'm absolutely in love with American muscle.

I'd still love one though.

Quote Originally Posted by admin07tr View Post
    the GTO has a TINY trunk.
    Not any smaller than any other muscle car... I found it to be surprisingly adequate compared to what I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Fun runs are better. Or destroying rustangs at the track...

For Top Gear fans, there are three cars they love:

1) WRX and Subarus in general...

2) Holden Monaros (ie, Pontiac GTO's). Quote: "the rear view mirror should be mounted on the doors"... (R. Hammonds)

3) And of course... the Toyota Pickup.

All three vehicles I own
    Actually, pretty sure Top Gear likes the Evo more than the Subaru.

But yes, they really like the GTO.
    Last edited by t3ch; 03-03-2010 at 12:29 PM.

i just like auto, its easier, do you guys think it could handle close to that of a wrx with the right sus mods? another thing i am worried about is the fact that pontiac is dead so parts will prob go up in the future..
    right now i have a cougar and my buddy has a 98 impreza 2.5rs, its a nice car. we both took the same curve, i took it at 52 or so going through the curve, i could feel the car almost breaking loose and he took it at 56 or so and all four tires where squealing... i have better tires than him but i thought the awd of subaru would allow him to go faster through the curve..... whats up with that?
    im thinking he just has ****ty tires, i think they are nexens and i have falkens

Grip in curves takes traction and that's the job of the tires. AWD isn't going to change that part of the equation.

Any time somebody says they like the WRX but think the interior is too plain I can't help but wonder if they've ever heard of the Legacy GT -- at least through 09.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

So once i am out of college i am going to either get a wrx or a 05 gto. I cant really decide on which one to get.... the wrx has awd and with some work it can become really fast. The gto is rwd and is fast as balls stock but doesnt handle as good as the wrx... i like to drive on curvy roads and the wrx would stomp the gto but im sure if i did some handling work to the gto it could work pretty good. I like the fact that the gto is insanely quick in stock form. I like the looks of the wrx better and i like the sound of the wrx better too so im stumped on which one?
    u just answered your own question

i would go with a STi
    gto an STi compete im not sure how well a wrx (stock ) will hold up 0-60 (other then traction from the line)
    GTO is a beast and a sexy car IMO
    but american muscle was made for drag, and well thats just boring

get a STi go stage 2 and you will never think bout a GTO again
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." Colin McRae
    "If in doubt, flat out." - Colin McRae
    Hawk-eye Alliance #999 06 0bp STi stage 2

"one of those newfangled 4 door 4WD rally car things from Japan that can launch a car from a dead stop like it was shot from a cannon" - unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.