wrx or gto - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx or gto within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's a fricken rally car bro....

It's a fricken rally car bro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    It's a fricken rally car bro.
    Perfect for the second page.

It depends on what you want. One thing you have to keep in mind is how long will OEM parts be out for the GTO. Where are you going to get factory service for it?

The GTO is going to be faster....period. The GTO in auto is probably going to be faster then a auto 2.0 WRX even 0-60.

Handling is very subjective. You'll get people that stereo type RWD as being poor handling...this is false.

Hands down the GTO is the better performer on anything that isnt snow or ice.

The wrx is probably more "solid" performer overall if you have to deal with snow, ice, rain, etc.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by cougarsman View Post
    So once i am out of college i am going to either get a wrx or a 05 gto. I cant really decide on which one to get.... the wrx has awd and with some work it can become really fast. The gto is rwd and is fast as balls stock but doesnt handle as good as the wrx... i like to drive on curvy roads and the wrx would stomp the gto but im sure if i did some handling work to the gto it could work pretty good. I like the fact that the gto is insanely quick in stock form. I like the looks of the wrx better and i like the sound of the wrx better too so im stumped on which one?
    I once embarrassed some older guy driving an 06 GTO....made my day
    OBP 05 WRX sedan, Big Evo III 16G, STi 565 injectors, HKS S-type FMIC, HKS super mega flow intake, Walbro FP, Helix catted DP, HKS UP, SRS catback and so much more.....

the sti seemed to mop the floor with the gto in 2005(edmunds test)...

so i dont think the gto handles that well, compared to the wrx/sti
    Last edited by foxbox13; 01-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.

You should just do what I did...

Attachment 86878
    Last edited by Pavia; 01-23-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

So the scoop is...

Power:

Goes to the GTO. Especially on the top-end. The tranny (T56) is stronger than the WRX and probably the STI as well. The autos are great, but not from a 30-40mph roll (not a sweet spot for the GTO w/ AT)

A stock LS2 GTO with drag radials and a good driver will easily hit 12sec 1/4mile times.

A WRX can of course be modded to hit similiar numbers, but for more cash.

Handling:

A stock GTO handles better than a stock WRX. But a stock STI or a slightly modded WRX (like a rear sway and better tires) handle much better than a stock GTO. Pedders are the mod of choice for GTO handling. Basically replace the stock suspension and lower a bit.

Most care about drag bags though to eliminate the wheel hop of the IRS of the GTO. But that's straight line...

The GTO has no electronic stab control like the Vette, so you can easily kill yourself if you drive like an asshat in wet weather.

Interior:

The GTO beats any Subaru hands down. Best interior ever put in a GM car (including the Vette, but maybe not a Caddie). Yes, the trunk is small. Two golf bags in it and that's it. The rear seats are amazing. Leather bucket seats, just like the fronts, but I can't easily fit past the two door coupe thing to get into them (too fat...lol). The subaru back seats are just for show too on my 07 sedan...lol.

Radios both stink, with the edge to the GTO. But they both stink.

Logistics:

Wouldn't worry about parts or maintenance. GM must provide both for the reasonable life of the platform.

I find the Subaru is easier to work on in the garage, but only because I've modded mine more, so I have more time under the car...

Insurance:

The GTO is half of my WRX. Go figure...

Mod Factor:

Both platforms have a strong support.

Daily Driving:

The GTO is more comfortable, as far as dealing with normal road conditions, but in cold or rainy weather, the WRX is much more reassuring.

Exterior Looks:

Can't pass a judgement on that. Depends what you like...

Weak points:

The GTO had problems with early 05 models and failed struts and strut rub on the tires. Most are fixed by now at the dealers. Rear diff whine is also something to look out for. You all already know the Subaru weakpoints to look for...

I want to say one thing though. At this point in time, there are now a lot of very strong GTOs out on the street. A lot of folks have F/I these cars and running some serious numbers. A 12 sec 1/4 mile time is no longer viewed as anything special on LS2GTO.com. These cars are killing some serious contenders on the track (and street) like Ferraris, Lambos, 911s, BMW M-series, Cobras, etc.

My GTO has actually broke traction and smacked me in the head with the A-pillar...lol

But I love both the Goat and the Rex...
    Last edited by Pavia; 01-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by admin07tr View Post
    I traded in my '04 GTO for my 07 WRX TR, BEst decision of my life.

I was getting 9-12mpg with the GTO and i dont have a long trip to work(less than 3 miles) the car took forever to warm up.

the WRX is warm by the time i get two blocks away, and is getting me 21 mpg city.

I had a srt-4 that i traded in for the GTO. It felt so good to come home to a manual turbo, AWD is a plus too.

go with the WRX.
    I get 28mpg on the highway with my modded GTO. I get 30mpg on the highway with my modded WRX. Right foot negates both...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    You should just do what I did...

Attachment 86878
    cheater
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    there's only one question you have to ask yourself.
    do you want to go straight or take turns?

straight=gto
    turns=wrx

no matter how much suspension work you do, its not going to feel like an awd. and stiffening a rwd high power car like the gto may only make the car more OVERsteer happy
    Come now... AWD does not equal Handling...

The 04-06 GTO is just another rwd platform that can be modded to the track or the strip. It was quite successful on the Grand Am series...

No one would say a 911 can't take a turn...

But see my earlier comments. You do need to mod any car to get race track handling. It's just easier with the WRX...
    Last edited by Pavia; 01-23-2010 at 02:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia
    Yes, the trunk is small. Two golf bags in it and that's it.
    Who plays golf? /sarcasm
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Who plays golf? /sarcasm
    Fun runs are better. Or destroying rustangs at the track...

For Top Gear fans, there are three cars they love:

1) WRX and Subarus in general...

2) Holden Monaros (ie, Pontiac GTO's). Quote: "the rear view mirror should be mounted on the doors"... (R. Hammonds)

3) And of course... the Toyota Pickup.

All three vehicles I own

It really depends on what I have done to my car but the subie may get traded for a gto when the loan is up. I got a bad habit of doing that. I grew up around old school vdubs so I love boxers but there were also some V8's and I love that thunder.

Things have changed a bit and I will begin to do some stuff to my rex so that may change my pov completely, idk.

As far power goes ,in CA at least, it is much easier and cheaper to make gobs of LEGAL hp than in a wrx. Idk if smog legal matters to you. As far as handling goes idk how far a goat can be taken 'cuz i have never seen it attempted, but some of the best handling cars in the world are rwd.

Come now... AWD does not equal Handling...

The 04-06 GTO is just another rwd platform that can be modded to the track or the strip. It was quite successful on the Grand Am series...

No one would say a 911 can't take a turn...

But see my earlier comments. You do need to mod any car to get race track handling. It's just easier with the WRX...
    there's only one question you have to ask yourself.
    do you want to go straight or take turns?

straight=gto
    turns=wrx

no matter how much suspension work you do, its not going to feel like an awd. and stiffening a rwd American car like the gto may only make the car more OVERsteer happy
    added something

i was at an auto x and the there was a GTO there. that car just looked like a big boat struggling to make it around the cones. it just looked out of place. i've never driven one so i can't say how they handle first hand, where you can.

but from the other 2 RWD american v8's ive driven. an 05 mustang GT and an 10 Camaro R/T, both were straight line powerhouses but oversteer happy. i got the back end of the camero to come loose by mistake going 10mph in a parking lot. (that would never happen in a wrx).
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

added something

i was at an auto x and the there was a GTO there. that car just looked like a big boat struggling to make it around the cones. it just looked out of place. i've never driven one so i can't say how they handle first hand, where you can.

but from the other 2 RWD american v8's ive driven. an 05 mustang GT and an 10 Camaro R/T, both were straight line powerhouses but oversteer happy. i got the back end of the camero to come loose by mistake going 10mph in a parking lot. (that would never happen in a wrx).
    Being able to break the rear end loose is a positive on some tracks. Not so much on a SCCA cone parking lot...

Being able to break the rear end loose is a positive on some tracks. Not so much on a SCCA cone parking lot...
    well...there are two types of racing and tracks readily available to the general public through out the US for a reasonable price and thats 1/4 mile drag racing and SCCA auto-x. and now more recently drifting (if you live out in Cali)

let me refine my statement some more

drag racing/drifting=gto
    auto-x=wrx
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast