wrx and new muscle cars
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx and new muscle cars within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How does the 09+ wrx compare to the new mustang, gto,camaro, and charger?...

wrx and new muscle cars

How does the 09+ wrx compare to the new mustang, gto,camaro, and charger?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

It doesn't compare! Apples to oranges. Do you want a speedy, AWD grocery-getter with reliability, 4-doors and room for 2 kids and a dog? Or do you want american muscle?
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    It doesn't compare! Apples to oranges. Do you want a speedy, AWD grocery-getter with reliability, 4-doors and room for 2 kids and a dog? Or do you want your car lying in a ditch waiting for a tow truck?
    Fixed
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

yeah those are really two very different styles of cars. Depends on what you want out of the cars.. The WRX is more of an economy sports car... It a 4 cylinder turbo... The muscle your tlaking about are v-8s and there is no replacement for displacement... You really need to think about what you want to get from the car.. Do you want to be able to drive in snowing or icing conditions? 4 doors vs 2 in most cases...

It is my experience that cars like the GTO (which is probably the biggest insult to American muscle) do not handle corners nearly as well as the wrx. Now some other muscles will and do out preform the wrx in skid pad tests...

You really should go drive and decide for yourself... But just the fact that your asking this question tells me the muscle is more yourstyle.. You will get more of a raw feel of power then the WRX.. The wrx usually attracts a person who is a rally enthusiast.. If you want raw from a tree in a quarter mile the muscle may be more for you... Mind you there are WRX's that are amazing in the quarter, you will just have better luck with a muscle style car IMHO
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I can only say something as far as the Mustang goes here...

My friend just recently purchased a 2010 Mustang and he took it to an SCCA event that we all (my friends and I) participate in every year. My times were about .5 seconds faster than his were and all I have done to the car performance wise is a Stage 1 map. I have about 50 less hp and tq than he does, and his car weighs about 150 lbs more than mine. Now, remember that SCCA track events are about driving ability so there's something to take into account when considering this.

The Mustang is very nice, comfy on the inside with some really cool amenities, but I hate driving it. It's only fun for a quick run around the block every once in a while, and that's it for me. I hate how big it is, how squishy it feels, how loose the steering feels, and just how ****ing stupidly small I feel inside the damn thing. I'm a 240 lb 6'0" man and I feel like a damn midget in the thing.

It's all a personal taste issue, so if you like the huge ass cars with the V8's, then go for it, they're getting better and better by the year, but they're not my cup of tea for several reasons. Test drive everything you are interested in and make the best choice for you. The WRX is not the best car for everyone and the Muscle cars aren't the best car for everyone. So, take everything said here with a grain of salt.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lrc3kc View Post
    How does the 09+ wrx compare to the new mustang, gto,camaro, and charger?

What do you wanna compare?
    09 WRX Wagon

hopefully not lightning lap stats.

well, most of you are commenting and dont even have a 09 WRX.

Now, the 09 is faster than most give credit for. I dont know what the OP is really wanting to compare to here, but mustangs arnt much problem for an 09. I havnt raced a new one, but i have raced a 2003 Mustang Gt with aftermarket x-pipe with high flow cats, the roush side pipes, intake, larger throttle body, and a different rear end gear. I was stock and from a dig i put 3 car lengths on it easy. Now granted the 09/10 modle GT's have a little more power, i still dont think the outcome is much different. Now a stage 1 or 2 will kill a mustang gt. been there and done it.

remember there is a guy on nasioc that has already hit a 12.9 1/4 mile on his stock 09.

i cant really comment on the challenger/ camaro ss.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    well, most of you are commenting and dont even have a 09 WRX.

Now, the 09 is faster than most give credit for. I dont know what the OP is really wanting to compare to here, but mustangs arnt much problem for an 09. I havnt raced a new one, but i have raced a 2003 Mustang Gt with aftermarket x-pipe with high flow cats, the roush side pipes, intake, larger throttle body, and a different rear end gear. I was stock and from a dig i put 3 car lengths on it easy. Now granted the 09/10 modle GT's have a little more power, i still dont think the outcome is much different. Now a stage 1 or 2 will kill a mustang gt. been there and done it.

remember there is a guy on nasioc that has already hit a 12.9 1/4 mile on his stock 09.

i cant really comment on the challenger/ camaro ss.
    If anyone knows ANYTHING about Subaru's they can easily make a comparison between the 09 WRX based on information from eariler models as well. If I compare my retuned 06 to the 2010 Mustang GT noting that it is faster around an SCCA course, you can probably surmise, if you have any brain power what-so-ever, that the 09 will be even faster.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    It is my experience that cars like the GTO (which is probably the biggest insult to American muscle)
    You're going to have to explain that.

Mustang - still hasn't caught up to the LS2 GTO.

Challenger - much heavier, requires SRT-8 version to hang with the GTO

New Camaro - basically a GTO with a slightly more sophisticated rear suspension. Probably the only one of the bunch that even comes close to the GTO's bang for the buck.

Previous gen F-body - A good engine trapped in a horrible, antiquated body.

None of the above has an interior that's anywhere near as nice as the GTO's. The GTO offered an incredible amount of performance and refinement for the price. Furthermore, it stuck to the concept of the original GTO - basic car, big engine, not much to look at.

As far as handling, I suppose it depends on which year WRX you're talking about. Having owned a 2006 GTO and a 2009 WRX, I can say the GTO handled better. The GTO handled much, much better than a 2008 WRX I test drove. Don't confuse AWD traction with handling.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck84 View Post

Mustang - still hasn't caught up to the LS2 GTO.

Challenger - much heavier, requires SRT-8 version to hang with the GTO
    It's true... the modern GTO was faster and boasted a LSD, something that the Mustang and Challenger still do not have. So I imagine the handling was much better with the modern GTO. Still, I'd like to see some power lap numbers for the wrx vs. GTO. The WRX is much lighter with a MUCH shorter wheelbase (more than 10 inches shorter!) making a much more nimble car. The GTO may have suited your particular driving style, but I doubt that it handles better than a WRX. Still, I've always had a thing for the modern GTO... it's more of a sleeper car than anything and still manages to run 105 MPH trap speeds... though the mustang GT manages 104 MPH trap speeds w/ 100 less HP... where'd all that extra power go?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It's true... the modern GTO was faster and boasted a LSD, something that the Mustang and Challenger still do not have. So I imagine the handling was much better with the modern GTO. Still, I'd like to see some power lap numbers for the wrx vs. GTO. The WRX is much lighter with a MUCH shorter wheelbase (more than 10 inches shorter!) making a much more nimble car. The GTO may have suited your particular driving style, but I doubt that it handles better than a WRX. Still, I've always had a thing for the modern GTO... it's more of a sleeper car than anything and still manages to run 105 MPH trap speeds... though the mustang GT manages 104 MPH trap speeds w/ 100 less HP... where'd all that extra power go?
    My near stock (93 octane Diablosport canned tune, widely considered to be nearly worthless) 2006 automatic trapped 109mph. I think the LS1 GTOs trapped around 104. The LS2 versions seem to be 108+, especially with a 6 spd. The Mustang wieghs about 350 lbs less (about 3.5 mph in the 1/4 mile), whereas the GTO has about 100 more hp (about 10 mph, everything else being equal). 10-3.5= 6.5. So, in general, I would expect a 400hp GTO to be about 6.5mph faster. But, the Mustangs live axle rear end is better for drag racing than the GTO's IRS, so the real world difference in trap speeds (104 vs 108) is in the ballpark.

Being lighter/shorter, the WRX is certainly more nimble than the GTO, however, it is severly underdamped and has excessive body roll. On high-speed g-outs, the WRX bobbles and weaves like a drunken sailor. The GTO is much more planted.

I've smoked all the cars you have talked about with the exception of the GTO have not raced against one of those yet. However, on paper I should be able to take the GTO as well. But then again I am also at stage II with my STi.
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Besides the car in my sig, which would lay waste to stock WRXs, STis, I also have a 2000 Mustang GT with xpipe, catback, and an intake. That thing is pretty damn slow.

I used to have an EVO IX (just intake) and I'm pretty sure that would have taken the GT in a straight line (and around turns it would be no competition). I've driven a few of the newer Mustangs (test drove a couple before buying the vette) and they did feel a lot more solid than the 99-04 stangs, but I would still much rather pilot a WRX/Lancer around a track than a new Stang.
    2003 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck84 View Post
    The GTO has a nice motor but is built on an Australian road car chassis (the Holden Monaro i think?). This means that the suspension is sluggish, slow, and the car just feels heavy. (with cast iron a-arms from what i hear). THe Holden itself is pretty quick just like the GTO. just doesn't mesh well with the motor. Im pretty sure the Holden has a much better suspension then the GTO also... something more like a BMW i think. But the GTO is just its chassis with a downgrade in suspension and an upgrade in whats under the hood IMHO.

I like the GTO's motor and drivtrain, but the chassis from which pontiac decided to build form was a huge mistake. If pontiac stepped up and designed a chassis for the GTO itself it really would have been a much faster car. All the other modern muscle that is being developed has its own look and suspension.

The GTO just doesnt give the same feel. First time i saw one in person i thought to myself, wow who would put a v-8 in a grand am. Then later an old GF of mine her father got one. I had a chance to drive around town with it for a short while and just didnt pop for me. The car feels solid and puts power down but not what you would expect. Then anything in the turning it just doesnt respond. The GTO's chassis caused it to be much less popular then it should have been.

Pontiac didnt step up. IMHO they ruined the GTO. It just seems like the way to car handles directly corresponds to the way it looks. Like a grand am. And the power it puts down is fair but not enough to make up for other mistakes made.

I mean if you close your eyes mash the pedal and go in only a strait line you have a nice car. BUt anything else just doesnt do any older goats justice.

Now YMMV but IMHO your money can be spent much wiser on a different auto.. Pontiac may have fixed this before they went belly up but not soon enough. Its just if your going to build american muscle have it be its own. Dont use an Australian car to build from.

EDIT > edmunds has the GTO placed at a 5.3 0-60 and only a 13.8 1.4 time. An 09 could match that easily, especially if you just dropped a stage one on it. Now price for price you can get a USED gto for just under what you can get a NEW 09 wrx for. Plus now you get 4 doors and AWD, better handling IMHO a much better looking car.
    Last edited by Poohbear; 01-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.