C&D 2009 Lightning lap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on C&D 2009 Lightning lap within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Found this on another forum && found it interesting: Originally Posted by phileaglesfan The February 2010 C&D just did their ...

C&D 2009 Lightning lap

Found this on another forum && found it interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
    The February 2010 C&D just did their "Lightning Lap" at Virginia International Raceway.

Here are the results.

Corvette ZR1 - 2:51.8
    KTM X bow - 2:52.3
    Murcielago LP67-4.5V 2:53.9
    Ariel Atom 3 - 2:57.6
    Corvette Grand Sport - 2:58.8
    Audi R8 5.2 - 3:05.0
    Lotus Exige S260 Sport - 3:05.0
    M3 - 3:05.4
    Cayman S - 3:05.8
    911 Carrera S - 3:05.8
    Jag XKR - 3:06.4
    GT 500 - 3:07.4
    Audi TTS - 3:08.4
    Camaro SS - 3:09.5
    Audi S4 - 3:10.8
    Nissan Nismo 370Z - 3:12.0
    Mustang GT - 3:13.3
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 3:14.8
    Mazdaspeed 3 - 3:16.2
    WRX - 3:16.6
    Mini Cooper JC Works - 3:17.1
    VW GTI - 3:19.3

GTR was not tested this time but finished 2:55.6 last year. Z51 equipped Corvette was 3:01.2 Ferrari 430 Scuderia was almost 3 seconds behind the ZR1's time when they tested the Ferrari last year.

Suprises for me. Mustang GT was almost 4 seconds behind the Camaro SS, maybe due to the Mustang's suspension. GT 500 was only about 2 seconds quicker than the SS and almost 10 behind the Grand Sport. 911 and Cayman had the same time because the mag said the Cayman was easier to control being mid-engine compared to rear engine. Corvette Grand Sport is more than "cosmetic: as it beat the Z51 by 2.4 seconds and cars like the top Lotus and R8 by almost 7 seconds.

I couldn't find the article on-line.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Outstanding performances IMO:

1. KTM. Impressive.
    2. Mini Cooper beats the VW Golf. Four decades of rivalry is still on.
    3. Exige quicker than Carrera S, Cayman S, M3; ties with R8. Again, impressive.

The Hyundai is doing great too frankly, I'd have expected it to be more of a van.

Looking again, the TTS seems like a very interesting car IMO.

Great post, thanks!
    SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK just got back from Edmunds' web site... TTS starts at $46K USD, compared to, say, a Cayman starting at $60K USD.

The price of the TTS coupled with the shape that inevitably reminds me of the Audi Group S and a name that inevitably reminds me of the NSU TT make it very attractive. Multiple nostalgia points from my perspective, even more than the Mini actually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrS.jpg.jpg  
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK looking even more, the TTS is over 2" quicker than the stablemate S4! I'm becoming more and more impressed with this car. I don't know if those 2"+ on a track will translate to something like 1" or more quicker per km in the real world, but even 0.5"+ per km in the real world makes for a quantitatively and qualitatively brisker car. Nice.

I Support ClubWRX
    But but but....a WRX is AWD and has to handle better then say a Mustang or Camaro which is RWD. AWD is the best platform period for handling.

Of the list I'd consider:

1) Lotus
    2) Cayman
    3) Zr Vette
    4) R8

The rest kind of "meh" me.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    The time by the Lotus is really impressive but I don't know if I could live with it, it seems quite bare to me. The inside of the Cayman looks more inviting actually. The smartest cars on the list are the WRX, S4, M3, and MS3 IMO as far as practicality goes.

I'm still looking at web site info on that TTS!

If you get chance to read it, do. It's interesting how the nismo 370z all of a sudden had no brakes and they had to put 'er in the wall.

That being said the main thing the wrx needed to improve on was unacceptable levels of brake fade. I'd have to agree. I always get a terrible feeling in my gut when the brakes get like that and i don't know if i will pull up in time.
    Who wants to have some FUN!
    ---Stink-Eye Mob #26---

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    But but but....a WRX is AWD and has to handle better then say a Mustang or Camaro which is RWD. AWD is the best platform period for handling.

In fairness, VIR has some pretty long straight sections where the V8 cars could really make use of their superior torque curves. Having said that, kudos to the domestics! They beat out some pretty stout European/Japanese competition!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

In fairness, VIR has some pretty long straight sections where the V8 cars could really make use of their superior torque curves. Having said that, kudos to the domestics! They beat out some pretty stout European/Japanese competition!
    VIR is DEFINTELY a HP track.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

+2.

Frankly, I surprised the WRX did as well as it did. Brakes are key to good track times, and the WRX's brakes went south very quickly according to the article. I think the stock brakes are fine on the street, but the track is a whole different story. Also, the WRX has lots of body roll and comes with severely underdamped suspension. Even commuting to work, I could only tolerate the excessive body roll for about 1 week.

i didn't read the article, so why didn't they use the sti and no evo?
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i didn't read the article, so why didn't they use the sti and no evo?
    They used the STi for the 2008 Lightning Lap and it was 2.4 seconds slower than this year's base WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck84 View Post
    They used the STi for the 2008 Lightning Lap and it was 2.4 seconds slower than this year's base WRX.
    interesting, i wonder why
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    interesting, i wonder why
    Maybe it's not as good of a car? Just saying.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It really isn't fair to compare different years/days at the track due to surface conditions and temp etc.

To Ray's point the x-bow is pretty heavily top end limited.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast