C&D 2009 Lightning lap - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on C&D 2009 Lightning lap within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by abhiwan interesting, i wonder why You can't really compare track times taken at other times of the ...

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    interesting, i wonder why
    You can't really compare track times taken at other times of the year without knowing track temps, conditions etc...Kinda like top gear and only being able to do some comparisons on days when it was wet out. lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    You can't really compare track times taken at other times of the year without knowing track temps, conditions etc...Kinda like top gear and only being able to do some comparisons on days when it was wet out. lol.
    Actually I kind of disagree with these comments.
    Every track in the world keep records of times, and use that to compare to every other car's times.
    It would be clearly impossible to test EVERY car and model on the same day with every model of the previous year.

Now it would clearly be unfair if one year they tested the cars in the heat of summer with 100 degrees out and the next in 50 degree weather.

However, as I understand it, the weather this year was pretty identical and ideal.

Further, if you notice, last year they had an M3 with DCT that they felt might not of been programmed correctly as the DCT wouldn't let them downshift when they always wanted.
    So this year, they got another to see how much better it would do.
    Well, last years M3 DCT and this years M3 DCT did the track in nearly the EXACT same time (.2 seconds apart).

That FACT alone tells you, that they took two of the same cars, two different years, on the same track and got basically the exact same time.

You can even look at the Mazdaspeed 3's too.
    The newer car with the same power but improved chassis and wheels/tires was .2 seconds slower, and that's because it's extra 150 lbs outweighs it's suspension, chassis, and wheel/tire upgrades.

So clearly it was not like one year's testing had ANY advantage over the others.
    And a track like this is not like a drag strip where track prep makes a huge difference in the car's ability to launch hard and get good times.

I think the WRX did 2.4 seconds better time than STI mostly because the STI probably was not dialed in properly or had some issues.
    I don't think an EVO MR is 5.7 seconds faster than the STI around a track.

However, I also feel the WRX did better because it's 166 lbs lighter, and because of the 5 speed manual instead of the 6 speed.
    The most of the time on that track you'll be in the 2nd and 3rd gear in the WRX, but with the STI you need 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. All the extra shifting adds time.

Dynos have shown the STI stock only puts down about 5-7 whp more than the WRX. That's not enough to overcome it's 166 lbs weight disadvantage. Also another reason the WRX meets or in some cases edges out the STI in acceleration times anywhere from 0-120 mph.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.