stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok so like it says, i have an 05 wrx with a vf48(used to have vf34 but it went) and ...

stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX

ok so like it says, i have an 05 wrx with a vf48(used to have vf34 but it went) and i made 280/275 on a dynojet at p&l motorsports tuned by jorge. last night on the highway i ran a gti. did 4 pulls lost each one by about 3 car lengths each time. not sure of speed but figure 60/70-120. lost worst when he wanted to do a 3rd gear pull because i wasn't in torque range so had to wait for spool. so i told him to stop off some where cause i'm a HUGE vw fan next to subie. well, he's apr stage 2 running 93 octane with just forge dv and a downpipe that's all. he said it's a special apr tune that they made for a limited time that basically maxes out everything including the fuel pump which he'd like to get a new one. he said a guy that had the tune before him put down something like 270-280whp. my question is how the hell did he beat me THAT bad on the highway i understand drivetrain loss but THAT bad? also he weighs more than i do and no i'm a good driver haha so just rule that out. i'm a car noobie and not very smart at things of this nature. if bodybuilding is your thing i'm the expert there but this no, so thanks for the info guys.
    Soon to be Stage 2.5 WRX.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ahh, another victim of the "FWD in 3rd gear" trick. Seriously, the FWD turbo crowd just can't wait to hit 3rd because that's the one where the fun really starts.

They do have much less drivetrain loss. Also you may make similar peak power but he may have more area under the curve.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

ahh, thank you for the intelligent answer i asked on nasioc and people literally if they could in person, spat on me haha. i'm like it's just a simple question

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Ahh, another victim of the "FWD in 3rd gear" trick. Seriously, the FWD turbo crowd just can't wait to hit 3rd because that's the one where the fun really starts.

They do have much less drivetrain loss. Also you may make similar peak power but he may have more area under the curve.
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-19-2009 at 02:46 PM.

John what's a good way to combat FWD cars on the highway? The drivetrain loss on AWD cars is bothersome or is it a matter of mechanics in that moving 2 wheels will be easier then moving 4 wheels even if both cars are powered evenly.

I ran a VW Golf not sure of the model since it was dark, he didnt seem to have a enough to keep up with me, but this was on some twisties - the one straight road we had my TD04 with spt exhaust and avo filter seem'd to be beating up on him.

OP - have you thought about a better tune/map?
    Last edited by spt wrx 2k8; 12-19-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    I <3 SASHA.M

Wrinklechops
    Yea, it's really probably just that FWD.

I know lots of Cobalt SS's and Dodge SRT-4's that love to run against STis and Evos on the highway from a roll. Highly modded, they tend to win every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Yea, it's really probably just that FWD.

I know lots of Cobalt SS's and Dodge SRT-4's that love to run against STis and Evos on the highway from a roll. Highly modded, they tend to win every time.

true.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

well i'm on a conservative tune by jorge at p&l now for 280 whp 275ftlb. peak torque at 3700, max hp hits 5.5k(i have dyno graph in frame next to me haha)and holds 280 to 7k+. torque slowly declines right at 5k this was done 3rd gear pull i believe. no need to retune it as someone said it's fine for me now plus, here's the new question. i want an 09 wrx and WILL have one in the spring selling mine fyi. now i plan on going stage 2 right away then later on adding the fuel pump, bigger tmic and custom tune since a lot of people have been getting great numbers. now, how would a basic stage 2 09, now remember this is 09 wrx, stack up against this car that i raced that put 3 car lengths on me. is the powerband of the newer wrxs much better? remember, i'm a personal trainer not a mechanic or super intelligent car person haha so sorry if i seem stupid. i'm debating now gti vs 09 wrx
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-19-2009 at 02:47 PM.

I have an 09 stage 2 wrx runs great but its still hard to hang with anytype of FWD car with same power range......tell him you wanna run from a dead dig......It won't even be close.......its funny cause all the people around my area only wanna run from a roll b/c they know the consequences
    09 WRX Wagon

no, out of respect he knew id kill him rom a dig or lower on. made a new friend though haha and an honorable loss it seems

i know what your saying.........it just makes me laugh that everyone around my place think that racing consist of meeting up on the highway and starting from a roll
    09 WRX Wagon

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabytexbc View Post
    i'm debating now gti vs 09 wrx
    Get an 09 Cobalt SS - the pros are too much too list.

Only cost you $20-24k too.

That will probably beat a GTI and an 09 WRX, mod for mod.

Would brake boosting help?
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
    Would brake boosting help?
    From a roll....yup no doubt.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Sounds like when they meet again brake boost and see what happens. 2nd gear and ~45mph roll should be a good run
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

Wrinklechops
    What kind of GTI was it? Not the VR6 model, right?

You said diverter valves... so I'm guessing a turbo model... 2.0? What year?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast