stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

This is a discussion on stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; that's the car i was going to get before i thought of the wrx...in novaro blue haha because of bam ...

that's the car i was going to get before i thought of the wrx...in novaro blue haha because of bam margera in cky, such a beautiful car. eh, i thought about it but no, want something newish and i can't find any for the car mileage i want. the temp here is roughly 10 degrees feels like 0. could that be messing with my tune because my car is running like crap on the highway under WOT. the other week it was fine when it was like 40. like WOT on the highway it just does not want to pick up and go, it's hitting target boost but you can feel the car shake(you can tell it's running rich) and goes fast, but not that kick you in your seat fast like it was haha. it's bothering the hell out of me. not POSITIVE on the 09 wrx but it's on the top of my list right now haven't tried the...you know what yet though.
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-27-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Soon to be Stage 2.5 WRX.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gigabytexbc View Post
    i've beaten mustangs on the highway which is why it's weird. 05+ mustangs there are plenty of those to go around(even my aunt owns one a GT at that) and i own an 04 mustang GT, so weird you only beat him by that much unless he has plenty of good mods or a better gearing. i raced an orange 07(friends boyfriends) dig, highway he has xpipe, exhaust, handheld tuner ect... just the basics and it was nothing but pull even on the highway. dig was just a joke. my car today was running like absolutely **** i hope i don't have a vacuum leak you can tell it's running rich. then again, it's super cold out and the engine wasn't TOTALLY warmed up. all i know is that the guy with the gti said he raced a k04 gti and was at his bumper the whole time. the tune he has COMPLETELY maxes out everything that's all i know or at least that's all he told me...maybe he was k04 and just didn't feel like telling me haha because that's what i was saying as i was losing each time "it's gotta be a k04". whatever doesn't matter i'll have my 09 in 2-3 months and mines plenty of speed for me right now.

He has a 2007 (300 crank vs 260 crank 2004) He also is putting down 311whp and 330 lbs of tq with Intake, Hpipe, high flow cats, exahust, 4:10 gears, cams and tune. So needless to say he's got a few toys and the cars moves pretty well. His best 1/4 mile time is a 12.7 @109mph. The cams added 3mph in his trap speed and 31whp!!!
    2006 World Rally Blue WRX Limited, VF39 (STI Turbo) 334HP/340TQ

yep the cams will do it and good gearing haha. otherwise they're nothing to brag about but if i had an 05+ that's exactly what i'd do. the 04 doesn't have as much potential so i don't bother it's just a cruiser. needless to say just basic modded 05, that's 05+ mustangs i've beaten. of course i've never raced a cammed one though i do see them drive around, can't beat the sound of the *blub blub blub* haha, it's sick.

Wrinklechops
    that's the car i was going to get before i thought of the wrx...in novaro blue haha because of bam margera in cky, such a beautiful car. eh, i thought about it but no, want something newish and i can't find any for the car mileage i want. the temp here is roughly 10 degrees feels like 0. could that be messing with my tune because my car is running like crap on the highway under WOT. the other week it was fine when it was like 40. like WOT on the highway it just does not want to pick up and go, it's hitting target boost but you can feel the car shake(you can tell it's running rich) and goes fast, but not that kick you in your seat fast like it was haha. it's bothering the hell out of me. not POSITIVE on the 09 wrx but it's on the top of my list right now haven't tried the...you know what yet though.

Yes, the cold weather could be messing with your tune. How cold was it out when you had it tuned? For example, say you had your car tuned at 80 degrees in the summer and now you're driving it and it's 10 degrees in winter. That makes a difference. Tuners are supposed to account for that in the tune, but sometimes you just can't get everything perfect in one dyno session. Besides, the quality of gas drops in the winter, so that can also affect your tune. Say you had a tune for 93/91 oct in the summer. You're still running the same gas now in the winter but the fuel quality is crap, so you're not getting the most of our your tune.

Go try that you know what car soon!

yep the cams will do it and good gearing haha. otherwise they're nothing to brag about but if i had an 05+ that's exactly what i'd do. the 04 doesn't have as much potential so i don't bother it's just a cruiser. needless to say just basic modded 05, that's 05+ mustangs i've beaten. of course i've never raced a cammed one though i do see them drive around, can't beat the sound of the *blub blub blub* haha, it's sick.
    Yeah the sound is soooo sick being cammed. I've race the boltons one that trap 105-106 area and I put cars on them. The cams that added the extra 31whp and 3mph really help him but it still felt good to edge him out

Wrinklechops
    Only thing I dislike about the Mustangs and Fords in general..

OHC motors.

I prefer the OHV stuff from GM and Chrysler.

Anyways, I once had a friend who said he used to own an 03/04 Cobra with 700whp. I don't know if I believe him, but I suppose it's very possible on those cars. That's probably the only Mustang I would own.

Reminds me of a story...back when I first went "Stage II", I remember driving on the highway and I saw two cars in my rear view flying up behind me. I couldn't make them out at first. Then they came flying past me. It was an STi and a Cobra. I punched it and tried to keep up. It looked like the STi was keeping up with the Cobra for the most part, but the Cobra was ahead. I ended up taking the same exit as the Cobra. Me thinking my new Stage II was just amazing, I thought I could keep up with the Cobra. He was messing with me bad. At every light he killed me. We even went from a few rolls and of course he killed me. There was no point in even trying to keep up. I wish I had more power back then!

yea and the vf39 isn't exactly a "highway" turbo(from dynos i've seen they peak high then just DIE) either so i'd sure you'd kill him from a dig or lower. they are nice cars none the less i like them more than the new camaros. besides the SS. oh, and for my buddy below, if i was over the age of 24-25 and my insurance wasn't so high(even on my parents ha) wow, i would own a 03-04 cobra in a heartbeat that is my FAVORITE basic car. just the sound of one with an exhaust going by is just, disgusting. it's an eargasm for me not to mention fast, very fast. just get a pulley and exhaust DONE. then when you have the money...kenne bell power omg haha. i like vettes and i love ours but there's just something about a cobra that i love so much. my dad wants me to get a mustang, a new one but i'm sorry, that's just to bad in the snow not even worth it. though i'd sacrafice for a daily driven cobra which would be even worse. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by 02 wrx sleeper View Post
    Yeah the sound is soooo sick being cammed. I've race the boltons one that trap 105-106 area and I put cars on them. The cams that added the extra 31whp and 3mph really help him but it still felt good to edge him out
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.

yea and the vf39 isn't exactly a "highway" turbo(from dynos i've seen they peak high then just DIE) either so i'd sure you'd kill him from a dig or lower. they are nice cars none the less i like them more than the new camaros. besides the SS. oh, and for my buddy below, if i was over the age of 24-25 and my insurance wasn't so high(even on my parents ha) wow, i would own a 03-04 cobra in a heartbeat that is my FAVORITE basic car. just the sound of one with an exhaust going by is just, disgusting. it's an eargasm for me not to mention fast, very fast. just get a pulley and exhaust DONE. then when you have the money...kenne bell power omg haha. i like vettes and i love ours but there's just something about a cobra that i love so much. my dad wants me to get a mustang, a new one but i'm sorry, that's just to bad in the snow not even worth it. though i'd sacrafice for a daily driven cobra which would be even worse. go figure.

Yeah I love the sound of a mustang with no cats with a nice H-pipe or Xpipe, it's a great sound

sat in the chevy ss but didn't test drive. liked it more than the gti i can tell you that much. still have to test drive though anyone have a wild new years cause...I DID. i asked a guy at work who had a gti with snow tires how he was doing since we've gotten 12" he said it was EXCELLENT. so maybe fwd can be just as good depending...still have my eye on the 09 wrx hatch though. it's going to be a tough call into the final rounds.
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 01-02-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Wrinklechops
    sat in the chevy ss but didn't test drive. liked it more than the gti i can tell you that much. still have to test drive though anyone have a wild new years cause...I DID. i asked a guy at work who had a gti with snow tires how he was doing since we've gotten 12" he said it was EXCELLENT. so maybe fwd can be just as good depending...still have my eye on the 09 wrx hatch though. it's going to be a tough call into the final rounds.
    Let the playoffs begin!

(I hope the SS makes it to the championship game at least, if not the Superbowl!)

haha, i'm sure it will. it's all lying on the test drives of ms3, gti, ss, and wrx to get final approval. it's just to damn cold here and i'm waiting for the dealerships to call me back with times. not to mention snowing like crazy and the 0 degree weather. god my car runs like crap. i noticed my intake K&N TYPHOON is really dirty with salt etc...(i have the cover that goes over the filter on it) so maybe that it along with the tune not being up to par. i noticed esp. highway pulls boost takes a while to hit target of 18.5 like it holds at id say 1.2bar then steady makes it's way up to where it should be.

Wrinklechops
    haha, i'm sure it will. it's all lying on the test drives of ms3, gti, ss, and wrx to get final approval. it's just to damn cold here and i'm waiting for the dealerships to call me back with times. not to mention snowing like crazy and the 0 degree weather. god my car runs like crap. i noticed my intake K&N TYPHOON is really dirty with salt etc...(i have the cover that goes over the filter on it) so maybe that it along with the tune not being up to par. i noticed esp. highway pulls boost takes a while to hit target of 18.5 like it holds at id say 1.2bar then steady makes it's way up to where it should be.
    Yea, it's the tune. Or something throwing off the tune like you said a dirty filter or a dirty MAF for example. You could spend money and go get it re-tuned for the cold weather and crappy gas you guys have in the winter but it wouldn't be worth it. Save your money for a Stage II Cobalt SS

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Save your money for a Stage II Cobalt SS
    wonder how a stage II 2009 cobalt ss performs. If it's anything like the srt-4 (mopar stage II), stage II won't buy you too much hp...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    wonder how a stage II 2009 cobalt ss performs. If it's anything like the srt-4 (mopar stage II), stage II won't buy you too much hp...
    Idk, but this guy here 09 Cobalt SS/TC tuned/bolt on dyno results - Cobalt SS Network made 272whp/315wtq on a really crappy low reading Mustang dyno at something equivalent to our "Stage II" exhaust and ECU tune. On a Dynojet or other dyno I would probably think that would be 300-320whp and over 350wtq.

If you factor in the factory upgrade for $500, before you even leave the dealer you can have 290hp/320tq (crank numbers) instead of the 260/260 it comes with stock. Warranty intact

ok, and the judges say....09 WRX HATCHBACK FOR THE WIN. just bought it today for 22k and they even agreen to install heated seats considering it's non-premium package which is fine. i even test drove the 2010 vw since where i bought it from was a vw/mazda place and honestly, it just felt the most "right" to me. test drove the chevy but eh, just didn't feel it, very fast and fun but i loved the wrx hatchback, i guess it's the fanboy in me. i'm very happy none the less and just considering how fast it seems now, dead on stock, i can't imagine tuned.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789