stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on stage 2 gti vs VF48 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops You've sat in it. Have you actually driven it? That's all I'm saying. I am not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    You've sat in it. Have you actually driven it? That's all I'm saying. I am not ever going to knock a car just from sitting in it on the showroom floor at a dealership or sitting in my friend's car in the driveway.

Everyone who has driven it has been impressed. Even the haters.

Next to AWD, FWD is probably the next best thing when it comes to snow. I live in Colorado and last time I checked it snows here. A lot. Maybe even more than Chicago. Having traction here in the snow when it hits is very important and don't think it doesn't cross everyone's mind when they consider car purchases in Colorado. A good FWD car with some good snow tires will handle just fine.

AWD means nothing if you don't have good tires. I wrecked my old WRX into the sidewalk at 5mph in my neighborhood in the snow because I didn't have my snow tires on. AWD won't save you.
    My wife has a 03 tiburon that sucks when it snows.
    You slip and slide from right to left. Not all fwd are equal and not all 4awd are equal.

The evo8 sucks in the snow. Snow tires or not. But a stock wrx grips the snow like nothing. Go figure.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AWD or not if you have crappy all seasons or dedicated summer tires you will get stuck and the handeling in snow will not be there, I noticed this first hand when last year i couldn't get out of a snowed in parking spot becasuse my tires were worn, this year I got some nice all season tires and the current 12 inch snow fall, wasn't a match for my WRX. I can bet that having a FWD with proper winter tires will beat an AWD car with summer tires on snow.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    I can bet that having a FWD with proper winter tires will beat an AWD car with summer tires on snow.
    True dat

I have a friend with a crappy '97 Hyundai Elantra wagon, FWD. No anti-lock-brakes, no traction control, no nothing! He slaps a set of really good dedicated winter snow tires on there and gets around just fine here in the winter. And he lives in the mountains here in CO (Avon, Vail, etc) where the elevation is 8000ft and above. Snow up there is no joke.

And I completely destroyed my WRX rim and alignment by crashing into a sidewalk in my neighborhood just trying to turn from a stop sign a few weeks ago during a bad snow we had in Denver (5500ft elevation). I had my summer tires on. It was a disaster.

I would take any decent FWD car with a traction control system (Cobalt SS, GTI, MS3) and snow tires any day over a WRX with even just all seasons maybe.

idk my sister's has snow tires on her jetta and honestly, even with my semi worn tires it just does not match my wrx in the straight line in the snow, trust me i kept going up and down my street to find out. her traction thing kept going on and i wasn't going anywhere. wrx just got in and took off like nothing i swear on a stack of bibles. mine sucks around corners right now but it used to be GREAT and i just had yokohama all seasons. this is when they were brand new 2 years ago ha. yet, for the money and interior niceness the gti has appeal i just fear losing the awd. for reference idk how old her tires are but do good snow tires on fwd really make it that much better? wouldn't know. i'm going tomorrow for the vw dealership have it set up just going to look and then heading down a couple blocks to my usual subaru dealership and taking a ride in one depending on how much it keeps snowing cause well, it's still snowing.
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-23-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Soon to be Stage 2.5 WRX.....

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabytexbc View Post
    idk my sister's has snow tires on her jetta and honestly, even with my semi worn tires it just does not match my wrx in the straight line in the snow, trust me i kept going up and down my street to find out. her traction thing kept going on and i wasn't going anywhere. wrx just got in and took off like nothing i swear on a stack of bibles. mine sucks around corners right now but it used to be GREAT and i just had yokohama all seasons. this is when they were brand new 2 years ago ha. yet, for the money and interior niceness the gti has appeal i just fear losing the awd. for reference idk how old her tires are but do good snow tires on fwd really make it that much better? wouldn't know. i'm going tomorrow for the vw dealership have it set up just going to look and then heading down a couple blocks to my usual subaru dealership and taking a ride in one depending on how much it keeps snowing cause well, it's still snowing.
    Did you not read my post above? YES SNOW TIRES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD

My opinion on all-season tires are that they are a JOKE. They try to meet in the middle and they just don't do a good job of it. They aren't as good as dedicated summer tires in the summer, nor are they as good as dedicated snow tires in the winter. If you live in a place like Colorado, I think you should own a set of good summer tires and good snow tires if you want to get the most performance out of your car.

Since it's snowing, why don't you go test out all the cars you want to buy in the snow! Sounds like a perfect time!

Sorry Really off topic here but to Gigabyte, I've been trying to relocate to chicago for a good while now, you know of any places hiring software engineers? k Sorry thread contintue now.

haha no worries, honestly no, my buddy who just graduated got a job somewhere for a software company i'm not sure where. i'd have to ask. just do some searching online i'm sure you have been. whereabouts in chicago?

haha no worries, honestly no, my buddy who just graduated got a job somewhere for a software company i'm not sure where. i'd have to ask. just do some searching online i'm sure you have been. whereabouts in chicago?
    Talk to ya about it in PM so I'm not thread jacking anymore.

yes of course i read, but i just drove my sisters jetta with snow tires and it went no where compared to my wrx and she keeps complaining and my tires are worn. when they were brand new 2 years ago they took corners great but now they are worn so corners are problems but straightline i'm still good. i mean, her car was doable, it's still snowing there was about 1-2 inches on the ground when i was doing the test driving between our cars but hands down my wrx just took off like nothing. this winter is already proving worse than last winter and last winter it snowed nonstop for 4 months. so that's 4 months of the year with snow, trust me it was insane and i was so happy i had my car then. just need something more easily driven. my family business pays for gas so no worries about gas mileage. hell, my dad wants me to get a mach 1 or a new mustang but hell no for that in the winter.

Did you not read my post above? YES SNOW TIRES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD

My opinion on all-season tires are that they are a JOKE. They try to meet in the middle and they just don't do a good job of it. They aren't as good as dedicated summer tires in the summer, nor are they as good as dedicated snow tires in the winter. If you live in a place like Colorado, I think you should own a set of good summer tires and good snow tires if you want to get the most performance out of your car. AND i'm testing the gti tomorrow and the new wrx tomorrow. no time today, had to workout and now time to get ready for work.

Since it's snowing, why don't you go test out all the cars you want to buy in the snow! Sounds like a perfect time!
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-23-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Wrinklechops
    yes of course i read, but i just drove my sisters jetta with snow tires and it went no where compared to my wrx and she keeps complaining and my tires are worn. when they were brand new 2 years ago they took corners great but now they are worn so corners are problems but straightline i'm still good. i mean, her car was doable, it's still snowing there was about 1-2 inches on the ground when i was doing the test driving between our cars but hands down my wrx just took off like nothing.
    Maybe Jetta's just suck in the snow

well, i just remember when i had my acura integra gsr i was just driving staightline in the snow very carefully and all of a sudden spin out. that's when i decided F that kind of so i started looking at awd. 4 months later i had my wrx and haven't spun out, only time i do is when i see a patch of snow and just go nuts, it's almost like it's a controlled spin out. i just remember the first time i took it out in the snow i was like OMG lane changing soooo much easier, turns take to nicer and no spinning while taking off from stop lights. now braking is always an issue but i use the gears to slow it down nicely. even at the time when i was a noobie with it, i figured what the hell, there was a LITTLE snow on the ground this is when i was stock, and launched it in the snow, it was like heaven. i just really want to know what the gearing is like for highway driving with the 09 wrxs that's my question now. the gti obviously better than mine now, but how much better now? not sure.
    Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-23-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Wrinklechops
    i just really want to know what the gearing is like for highway driving with the 09 wrxs that's my question now. the gti obviously better than mine now, but how much better now? not sure.
    I'm not sure what previous WRXs had for final drive... I know the 09's have a 3.90 from what I'm seeing...

But hey, since you want AWD and power in stock form you might as well save up about $40k and buy yourself an STi or an Evo, or maybe $50k for a BMW 335xi or Audi S4.

I'm not sure what previous WRXs had for final drive... I know the 09's have a 3.90 from what I'm seeing...

But hey, since you want AWD and power in stock form you might as well save up about $40k and buy yourself an STi or an Evo, or maybe $50k for a BMW 335xi or Audi S4.
    or 1.5mil for a veryron it's awd.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    ...and drive it into a swamp
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    Yea 1.5mil for a daily driver lol how impractical. It's funny, 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, all kinds of space technology, etc etc... and yet, the American built SSC Ultimate Aero beat the Veyron's top record with half of everything the Veyron needed. 2WD, two turbos, V8 (derived from a Corvette C5R)...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.