'10 WRX vs 300 SRT8? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on '10 WRX vs 300 SRT8? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Trap speeds, anyone? Srt8 traps higher. But since he's going from a dig that plays even ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Trap speeds, anyone?
    Srt8 traps higher. But since he's going from a dig that plays even more to his favor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why are we talking about Legacys? We're speaking about the 09 WRX Stage 1 vs SRT8 Hemi 300C.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Sorry man but maybe you have no idea how much 1k lbs makes a huge difference. Me vs a 300 whp legacy both wrx swapped were dead even in any kind of race when I was on my td04. I'd say it was at least 50 whp more then mine. Me on the other hand was 500 lbs lighter. Now add 1k lbs? lol Obviously the powertrains are different so the srt8 is going to fair better from a roll but still 1k lbs is ridiculous. Just at the simple fact it has 400 hp and only runs low 13's. What do you think a 400 hp wrx or sti runs? high 11's?
    I <3 SASHA.M

OP asked how he will fair against one - no mention of from a dig or roll..

Srt8 traps higher. But since he's going from a dig that plays even more to his favor.
    I <3 SASHA.M

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    Why are we talking about Legacys? We're speaking about the 09 WRX Stage 1 vs SRT8 Hemi 300C.
    I guess you didn't quite get my comparison of weight. Read again maybe you'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimli View Post
    Hm, I am not too convinced. Sure the 300C SRT 8 has 400+ hp, but is heavy as heck. Like I said, I beat him on a 320-ish hp chipped '01 S4. I owned him off the line; I could see him creeping up, but it would be instant-jail speeds before he caught up to me. Stage 1 on the '10 WRX shouldn't be that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    OP asked how he will fair against one - no mention of from a dig or roll..
    Nuff said.

You can't compare an AWD car's timeslips unless you give the RWD car equal traction. A stock SRT8 on ET streets would shock you with how well it moves from a stop. That's why we're saying trap speeds are most telling here.

Any AWD car can out-ET 2wd cars that are clearly faster but lack the traction to put down the power.

BTW, where do you draw the line at "but it's too heavy to be fast?" My brother's Benz weighs almost 5000lbs and it's a 2 door coupe. With 605 horsepower it's still as quick as any Viper, even with its wimpy 275-width tires to get it moving from a stop.
    Last edited by John M; 12-25-2009 at 12:59 AM.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    you can't compare any car without going to a track. period. end of story. car racing isn't an exact science.

It's not expensive to drag race... go race at the track with this guy. then give us the real life result
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    You can't compare an AWD car's timeslips unless you give the RWD car equal traction. A stock SRT8 on ET streets would shock you with how well it moves from a stop. That's why we're saying trap speeds are most telling here.

Any AWD car can out-ET 2wd cars that are clearly faster but lack the traction to put down the power.

BTW, where do you draw the line at "but it's too heavy to be fast?" My brother's Benz weighs almost 5000lbs and it's a 2 door coupe. With 605 horsepower it's still as quick as any Viper, even with its wimpy 275-width tires to get it moving from a stop.
    This makes sense.....but not what we're talking about. How many cars you come across during the day with slicks on it driving around? Trap speed is great when you're roll racing. How many drag strips you know of that you start at a roll? It's always funny when people talk about racing two cars and try to talk about how the awd isn't fair and the other car should have slicks on it. Run what you brung. I'm guessing the guy he's talking about isn't going to be buying slicks for his car. Simply put a stage one 10' wrx would be a good race with the nod going to the wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    you can't compare any car without going to a track. period. end of story. car racing isn't an exact science.

It's not expensive to drag race... go race at the track with this guy. then give us the real life result
    I bed to differ.

I've been racing turbo AWD cars for nearly 18 years. I've owned around 9-10 of them. I've been doing the "AWD isn't fair" with 2wd cars for all that time.

AWD owners can either launch or they can't. There really isn't a middle ground; you either take off nicely or bog, or glaze the clutch.

2WD drivers are a little more varied. Some blow the tires off right from the beginning. The others start off ok but then get flustered by the sight of the AWD instantly putting lengths on them so they panic and floor it, guaranteeing them a horrible launch.

It's the 2WD guys who can drive that will rain on your parade. Some are just good at pedaling while others have really good traction control. The Benz cuts repeated 1.9 60ft's. Corvettes have a killer launch. Those that don't have the electronic aids frequently run drag radials 24/7.

No matter what method they use, at worst they'll be only 1 car or so behind at the launch. A 5 mph trap advantage will certainly make that up by the end of the 1/4.

Actually it's kind of scary to think that I've had turbo AWD cars as long as some of my opponents have been alive!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I've been racing turbo AWD cars for nearly 18 years. I've owned around 9-10 of them. I've been doing the "AWD isn't fair" with 2wd cars for all that time.

AWD owners can either launch or they can't. There really isn't a middle ground; you either take off nicely or bog, or glaze the clutch.

2WD drivers are a little more varied. Some blow the tires off right from the beginning. The others start off ok but then get flustered by the sight of the AWD instantly putting lengths on them so they panic and floor it, guaranteeing them a horrible launch.

It's the 2WD guys who can drive that will rain on your parade. Some are just good at pedaling while others have really good traction control. The Benz cuts repeated 1.9 60ft's. Corvettes have a killer launch. Those that don't have the electronic aids frequently run drag radials 24/7.

No matter what method they use, at worst they'll be only 1 car or so behind at the launch. A 5 mph trap advantage will certainly make that up by the end of the 1/4.

Actually it's kind of scary to think that I've had turbo AWD cars as long as some of my opponents have been alive!
    You are pretty correct but you're also missing the fact that a prepped track is totally different then someone you come across on the street to have fun with. Clearly stock for stock the srt8 should run faster then a stock wrx. a stage 1 wrx on the other hand should be a pretty close race with a nod going to the wrx.

You are pretty correct but you're also missing the fact that a prepped track is totally different then someone you come across on the street to have fun with. Clearly stock for stock the srt8 should run faster then a stock wrx. a stage 1 wrx on the other hand should be a pretty close race with a nod going to the wrx.
    If the race goes above much past 100 mph the SRT8 will pull ahead. If you take it over 120, the SRT8 will pull a few car lengths.

The Hemi is strong once rolling.
    No Stage 1 09+ WRX is going to trap at 108+ mph.

At best a Stage 1 09-10 WRX will pull a 4.5 0-60 time.
    The SRT8 can do it in 4.8 seconds.
    That would put it about 1 CL behind.
    After that the SRT8 will start pulling.
    Cars should be about even by 100-105, after that the SRT8 will pull ahead.

Of course this is at or around Sea Level.
    At elevations above 2500 feet I'd say the Stage 1 WRX could be even with the SRT8. Above 4000 feet I'd give the nod to the Stage 1 WRX

If the race is from a roll, the Stage 1 09+ WRX has no chance.
    Stage 2 should make it close.
    Last edited by Driver72; 01-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    If the race goes above much past 100 mph the SRT8 will pull ahead. If you take it over 120, the SRT8 will pull a few car lengths.

The Hemi is strong once rolling.
    No Stage 1 09+ WRX is going to trap at 108+ mph.

At best a Stage 1 09-10 WRX will pull a 4.5 0-60 time.
    The SRT8 can do it in 4.8 seconds.
    That would put it about 1 CL behind.
    After that the SRT8 will start pulling.
    Cars should be about even by 100-105, after that the SRT8 will pull ahead.

Of course this is at or around Sea Level.
    At elevations above 2500 feet I'd say the Stage 1 WRX could be even with the SRT8. Above 4000 feet I'd give the nod to the Stage 1 WRX

If the race is from a roll, the Stage 1 09+ WRX has no chance.
    Stage 2 should make it close.
    If you read what the guy said he encounters you'd clearly understand that he's not racing to 120 mph nor from a roll. From 0 to anything under 100 a stock wrx could hold off and srt-8. a stage 1 09' would easily be able to hold off an srt-8 as far as equal drivers go even though it would probably be pretty close at the end. Highway racing though sure the srt-8 easily has the advantage.

If you read what the guy said he encounters you'd clearly understand that he's not racing to 120 mph nor from a roll. From 0 to anything under 100 a stock wrx could hold off and srt-8. a stage 1 09' would easily be able to hold off an srt-8 as far as equal drivers go even though it would probably be pretty close at the end. Highway racing though sure the srt-8 easily has the advantage.
    Well, I ran an SRT8 powered car in my tuned 335i and while I beat it, I was quick off the line too.
    I just did some checking to see, I thought it ran 0-60 in 4.8 but in fact it's a bit quicker than that at 4.7, which matches the 09 WRX.
    Sure I'd still say the WRX would be 1/2 CL in front at 60 mph because of it's AWD jump, but the SRT8 will be long in front by 100 mph already. Here's it's acceleration times from C & D:
    C/D TEST RESULTS
    ACCELERATION Seconds
    Zero to 30 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.9
    40 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.7
    50 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.6
    60 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.7
    70 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.9
    80 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.4
    90 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.2
    100 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11.2
    110 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13.3
    120 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15.9
    130 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20.0
    140 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24.7
    150 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30.7
    Street start, 560 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.9
    Top-gear acceleration, 3050 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.7
    5070 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0
    Standing 1/4-mile . . . . . . . . . . . . .13.2 sec @ 109 mph

The SRT8 is at 100 mph in 11.2 seconds.
    The stock 09 WRX hits 100 in 12.9 seconds.

So I stated a Stage 1 09-10 WRX could hold it off until 100-105 might even be optimistic. Even Stage 1 the WRX there's no way it's taking 1.7 seconds off it's 0-100 time and accelerating as hard as a car that traps 108-109 mph like the SRT8.

I now feel a Stage 1 WRX could hold it off to 90-95 mph at most. Oh and I have one too so I know what it's capable of.
    And i know what a 109 mph trapping car feels like too, as that's what a 335i would do with the very first tunes ever released for them did (they now trap 113-114 tune only).
    And I can assure you my Stage 1 WRX is not as fast as a 109 mph trapping car.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    Well, I ran an SRT8 powered car in my tuned 335i and while I beat it, I was quick off the line too.
    I just did some checking to see, I thought it ran 0-60 in 4.8 but in fact it's a bit quicker than that at 4.7, which matches the 09 WRX.
    Sure I'd still say the WRX would be 1/2 CL in front at 60 mph because of it's AWD jump, but the SRT8 will be long in front by 100 mph already. Here's it's acceleration times from C & D:
    C/D TEST RESULTS
    ACCELERATION Seconds
    Zero to 30 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.9
    40 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.7
    50 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.6
    60 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.7
    70 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.9
    80 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.4
    90 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.2
    100 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11.2
    110 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13.3
    120 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15.9
    130 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20.0
    140 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24.7
    150 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30.7
    Street start, 560 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.9
    Top-gear acceleration, 3050 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.7
    5070 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0
    Standing 1/4-mile . . . . . . . . . . . . .13.2 sec @ 109 mph

The SRT8 is at 100 mph in 11.2 seconds.
    The stock 09 WRX hits 100 in 12.9 seconds.

So I stated a Stage 1 09-10 WRX could hold it off until 100-105 might even be optimistic. Even Stage 1 the WRX there's no way it's taking 1.7 seconds off it's 0-100 time and accelerating as hard as a car that traps 108-109 mph like the SRT8.

I now feel a Stage 1 WRX could hold it off to 90-95 mph at most. Oh and I have one too so I know what it's capable of.
    And i know what a 109 mph trapping car feels like too, as that's what a 335i would do with the very first tunes ever released for them did (they now trap 113-114 tune only).
    And I can assure you my Stage 1 WRX is not as fast as a 109 mph trapping car.
    MAG RACER ALERT!!!

While it's nice to check out and compare certain things they are not real life numbers. Chances are the srt-8 will be slower in an every day type senerio opposed to a prepped track. It won't hook as well and there is a far greater chance it'll spin a lot more off the line. Even a good driver there is still a huge difference from being on a prepped track. Wrx on the street yeah you can mess up a launch but you're not gonna have traction issues.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast