How accurate do you think simulations are for comparisons?

This is a discussion on How accurate do you think simulations are for comparisons? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Before you laugh, I know only the real world at a track will give true performance, but I was wondering ...

How accurate do you think simulations are for comparisons?

Before you laugh, I know only the real world at a track will give true performance, but I was wondering about numbers when using some of the latest games like GT5 or Forza. And, no, I'm not trying to say that my car can do "X" because I did "Y" in a game, but anyhooo...

I put together a car in Forza that came as close to my current Subaru as possible. The only significant difference is it's RHD drive, but the numbers match, even down to the gear ratios.

I ran quite a few 1/4mile test drag races and kept coming up with a consistent 12.99 ET at 109 trap speed. I've seen other cars with similiar setups on the forums post sub 13sec times, so it made me wonder if this kind of testing might be worth while.

To tell you the truth, my main reason for doing this was to get a better understanding of how the taller ratio gears in my PPG tranny is suited to drag racing, over the stock 5spd OEM gears. Shorter gears make for better acceleration, but the taller gears are supposed to support faster speeds in the rpm range and keep the boosted power within a more usable rpm range. So you cross the line in 3rd or 4th (without hitting redline), as opposed to 5th like in a stock STI tranny.

The game tests did show an increase in times from 13.25 ET with the OEM 5spd gear ratios to a 12.99 ET with the taller PPG gears.

Gear ratios (rounded) used for modelling are for a 07 WRX 5spd tranny:

OEM: 3.45 / 2.06 / 1.45 / 0.88 / 0.78 (3.90 Final)

PPG: 3.08 / 1.84 / 1.32 / 0.95 / 0.78, (3.90 Final)

Tire size is the same for both (245/40/17, very close to the stock speedo)

Does it make sense to use a "game model" to see why a PPG set with these ratios would perform better in the 1/4 mile?

Thoughts? Digs?
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-26-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Absolutely! Even high tech engineers run simulations on computers to see what works better for their cars. And even if its not 100% accurate then you at least will get the basic concepts down so that when it comes time to apply it to the real world, you have a more solid understanding of it, and or are able to know more of what you want. Its a fairly inexpensive way for you to test things out and not have to worry about the time put in to get everything together, then go back and change things or tweek things as you need.

On Forza 1 I had a mustang that I upgraded to over 500 hp. Of course given mustang's "great handling" characteristics I had to go in and upgrade everything including fully adjustable suspension, tire pressure etc. The car did so horribly when I first tuned it that I had to go in and literally set the suspension so when I braked the car literally understeered AND oversteered at the exact same time in order to brake in a straight enough line in a short distance. And the only way I knew what settings to tweak were because I've raced on simulators since the days of Gran Turismo 1.
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah