WRX or Used STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or Used STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm looking to get a new car in the near future, but I'm torn between the 09 WRX or an ...

WRX or Used STI

I'm looking to get a new car in the near future, but I'm torn between the 09 WRX or an 06 STI?

I'm 29 years old have a family and I wont be racing this car up and down the street. For that I have a 70 Chevelle. I just want a car that has respectable power (something that wont get smoked by an Accord or Camry) and will last until I finish making the payments. Any suggestions? Also if I decide to get a WRX how hard is it to increase HP to 290-300 w/o sacrificing driveability?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you can get a new 09 wrx in that HP range very easily. a turboback exhaust + a custom tune will get you there without really sacrificing drivability or reliability (depending on your driving habits)

the 06 sti will have a rougher feel to it. you'll feel every bump in the road. it's a raw in your face kind of power.

the 09 wrx is a little more refined. the interior is beautiful. the drive is quiet. the power is there but it's not as in your face as the STi will be.

i would drive both of them and see what you prefer.

there are also a few other factors you'll need to look keep in mind:
    insurance
    is a warranty important to you?
    finding a stock, unmolested 06/07 sti will be VERY hard
    body styles are completely different. which one do you prefer?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

09 wrx is about as fast or faster than an 06 sti straightline

But the sti would pull away in the twisties.

New or used and u want reliability? I'd go with new.

^^^ +1...

But if you do want to start modding your car significantly, your better off with the STI (if you can afford it). 06 is a good year for them (if the used car is in good condition and not previously modded or beat on)

Either way, you'll have the Chevelle to stomp on in summer and a Subaru for AWD winter fun. An excellent choice (as you can tell by my sig... )
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    The newer one with a warranty that is maintained and kept in the stock configuration will undoutbly last you until it's paid off.

I'd get the 09.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by motown07 View Post
    I'm looking to get a new car in the near future, but I'm torn between the 09 WRX or an 06 STI?

I'm 29 years old have a family and I wont be racing this car up and down the street. For that I have a 70 Chevelle. I just want a car that has respectable power (something that wont get smoked by an Accord or Camry) and will last until I finish making the payments. Any suggestions? Also if I decide to get a WRX how hard is it to increase HP to 290-300 w/o sacrificing driveability?
    You just answered your question right there. You have a family to worry about and you will not be racing the car. Seems like the 09 wrx is a perfect choice. The stock power is more than enough to "pass" traffic with ease. With a few choice mods you could easily destroy the streets ( of coarse when the family isnt in the car). As long as your build date doesnt fall into the black plague period that car will most def. last you a long time with good driving habits

An 09 WRX Hatchback, with an extra set of snow or all season tires (which you will need in Michigan. The 09s come with summer tires), would be a great sell to the family...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Easy answer. 09 brand new. Someone else hasn't eaten, smoked, or banged his girl in the front and back seat. You're putting every mile on it. I love the new body style couple and hatch and their interior is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Easy answer. 09 brand new. Someone else hasn't eaten, smoked, or banged his girl in the front and back seat. You're putting every mile on it. I love the new body style couple and hatch and their interior is far better.
    That would be nasty on suede!!!

Thats right. The last thing you want is a jizz spot in the backseat. LOL

What about tranny issues? I see threads here and there about the WRX tranny not holding up, compared to the STI's 6 speed.

What about tranny issues? I see threads here and there about the WRX tranny not holding up, compared to the STI's 6 speed.
    Don't drive it like a 16 year old and you'll be fine.

I've heard of engine problems, but not tranny issues on the 08-10 WRX's. Seems Subaru did beef it up some. Of course, the STI is proven to be stronger. Either way, at the power levels you want, the 5 spd should be just fine...

Of course launching and other abuse negates all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I've heard of engine problems, but not tranny issues on the 08-10 WRX's. Seems Subaru did beef it up some. Of course, the STI is proven to be stronger. Either way, at the power levels you want, the 5 spd should be just fine...

Of course launching and other abuse negates all.
    Well there were 7 sti's they forgot to put in the hardened cranks into and they all went pretty quick. They all have the broken ring land problem. Hell we just had an 09 sti in with 200 miles with a lot of the ringland missing. Hopefully subaru doesn't want it back because my friend has some 09 heads we could make a full block out of. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Well there were 7 sti's they forgot to put in the hardened cranks into and they all went pretty quick. They all have the broken ring land problem. Hell we just had an 09 sti in with 200 miles with a lot of the ringland missing. Hopefully subaru doesn't want it back because my friend has some 09 heads we could make a full block out of. lol
    I've heard there were some compression/ring problems on the 07 STI as well. Hopefully the EJ255 was not affected either in 07

I guess it's like any other car, if you abuse it its not going to last very long.

Thanks guys for all your help on this. I think I've made my decision on which car I want to get....2009 or 2010 WRX. Now it's either the hatch or the sedan? Decisions Decisions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast