Ummm...seriously? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37

This is a discussion on Ummm...seriously? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 2010BlueWRX265 the caveman who invented a square wheel and spots another caveman with a round wheel. Caveman ...

  1. #31
    Registered User etshulda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010BlueWRX265 View Post
    the caveman who invented a square wheel and spots another caveman with a round wheel.
    Caveman FAIL!
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    California must have a lot of prison space open. You can grow pot, but if you speed through your neighborhood at double the limit your going to San Quentin.

    So three speeding felonies can get you life as a habitual?

    I bet this never happens in Orange County (newport or huntington beach) residents.
    actually the cops here in HB are worse i think.. they never see real crime so when something happens they get overly excited and either go trigger happy or fine happy...a girl that got high on something was in a open field and had a knife... cops in HB shot her something like 20+ times.. and when i was pulled over for speeding once in my old truck (60 in a 45) the cop was trying to have my truck impounded for basically no reason other then he was a *******.

  4. #33
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,960
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Wow that seems a little much. I understand the intent and it would certainly seem tough to "defend" doubling the speed limit or driving over 100 on a public road... However, to be labeled as a "convicted felon" for the rest of your life (with all the consequences that come with that) because of driving a little crazy one time, seems rather draconian.
    That's why it's not easy to get written up for 100+ or twice posted, you have to try and you have to insist on getting it. If you are a reasonable person with no other issues you might simply be written for something less. This means you still get to meet a magistrate (nice guys but dreary dressers, always wear black no matter what season) and you still get to make a donation to the state's general fund but you cannot stay as a guest of the state, nor can you use the "felon" title. It's just how the ball bounces...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #34
    Administrator TheJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bro do you even live in the Dirty South
    Posts
    18,110
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gancherov View Post
    Oh, and we all know the rules are different when you're rich. that's just a fact of life.
    That's why we should all probably strive to not be poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's why it's not easy to get written up for 100+ or twice posted, you have to try and you have to insist on getting it. If you are a reasonable person with no other issues you might simply be written for something less. This means you still get to meet a magistrate (nice guys but dreary dressers, always wear black no matter what season) and you still get to make a donation to the state's general fund but you cannot stay as a guest of the state, nor can you use the "felon" title. It's just how the ball bounces...
    Still though... I don't like the idea that a police officer can be in a pissy mood and basically on his own that easily, permanently screw somebody's life up by tagging them as a felon for a single speeding incident. I mean I would rather pay a $10,000 fine, forfeit my car AND do four weeks incarceration, then have to carry the label of convicted felon for the rest of my life. That's just way over the top. One more reason I thank my lucky stars that I don't live in the craptastic state of California.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:


    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

  6. #35
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,960
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Still though... I don't like the idea that a police officer can be in a pissy mood and basically on his own that easily, permanently screw somebody's life up by tagging them as a felon for a single speeding incident. I mean I would rather pay a $10,000 fine, forfeit my car AND do four weeks incarceration, then have to carry the label of convicted felon for the rest of my life. That's just way over the top. One more reason I thank my lucky stars that I don't live in the craptastic state of California.
    I know what you mean, but the police cannot label you anything on their own, and if/when it goes to trial if nothing else is going on what you cited as your preferences are more likely to happen than someone getting convicted as a felon IMO.

    There are other states that have more restrictive laws IMO and I hate to say it but they are slower, but more relaxing, to drive across. In AZ, for example +20 is criminal regardless of the base speed limit and there are cameras everywhere, including speed cameras, red light cameras, combo cameras, and van cameras.

    In some countries, speeding fines are just that, fines, almost like parking violations in that there are no points associated. In others they are the end of the world. Even within the EU it varies. Examples: NL -- cameras mail fines, you make a donation, all is well. GR -- 10 kph over the limit is almost like treason, with a fine of roughly... sit down and hold on... 1500 that is reduced 50% if the fine is paid within (I think) a couple weeks, and is simply tacked on to the owner's income tax in full if it isn't paid at all.

    I'm not crazy about fines and tickets and I hate hearing stories of people getting them. OTOH I see morons that belong in prison for their driving almost every week, and I don't know how to strike a fair balance.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  7. #36
    Administrator TheJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bro do you even live in the Dirty South
    Posts
    18,110
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I know what you mean, but the police cannot label you anything on their own, and if/when it goes to trial if nothing else is going on what you cited as your preferences are more likely to happen than someone getting convicted as a felon IMO.

    There are other states that have more restrictive laws IMO and I hate to say it but they are slower, but more relaxing, to drive across. In AZ, for example +20 is criminal regardless of the base speed limit and there are cameras everywhere, including speed cameras, red light cameras, combo cameras, and van cameras.

    In some countries, speeding fines are just that, fines, almost like parking violations in that there are no points associated. In others they are the end of the world. Even within the EU it varies. Examples: NL -- cameras mail fines, you make a donation, all is well. GR -- 10 kph over the limit is almost like treason, with a fine of roughly... sit down and hold on... €1500 that is reduced 50% if the fine is paid within (I think) a couple weeks, and is simply tacked on to the owner's income tax in full if it isn't paid at all.

    I'm not crazy about fines and tickets and I hate hearing stories of people getting them. OTOH I see morons that belong in prison for their driving almost every week, and I don't know how to strike a fair balance.
    I'll have to add AZ to my list of places not to live. lol
    I'm "ok" with fines and tickets but the bar for felony should purposely be set very high. Some of the consequences that follow a felony conviction are literally "life long". A felony conviction affect one ability to vote, you can forget ever owning a gun and practically forget ever getting a job at a fortune 500 company for example.
    Last edited by TheJ; 11-23-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:


    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

  8. #37
    Registered User 2010BlueWRX265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    Caveman FAIL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •