Ummm...seriously? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ummm...seriously? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Gancherov Literally a week after I got my black 02 wrx wagon and started reading up on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gancherov View Post
    Literally a week after I got my black 02 wrx wagon and started reading up on forums I was challenged to a race by a 350z.
    I too just got the black 02 Wagon! But a few nights ago, I was just cruising down main when a big Chevy something or other pulled up next to me when we were going about 15 and started revvin it up. I looked over and noticed he had a cab full of girls who he was obviously trying to impress, anyways, i look straight ahead as he starts to speeding up so i let it rip.

You all know the results.
    I hope he didn't get any that night.
    Noah | Bugeye Mafia #301

02 MBP WRX Wagon "Annabelle"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

School zones in California are 25. But the reason double the speed limit can be a felony charge is because they are then allowed to call it "reckless driving" and all of the other charges they can slap on top of that like "display of speed" and all that.

Unfortunately my computer is a little ****ed right now so I can't get the DMV handbook pulled up, but i'm sure it would explain all of the nuances. Basically, if you go super fast in California they castrate you and throw you in a federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison. (not literally, but you do get screwed pretty hard )
    California must have a lot of prison space open. You can grow pot, but if you speed through your neighborhood at double the limit your going to San Quentin.

So three speeding felonies can get you life as a habitual?

I bet this never happens in Orange County (newport or huntington beach) residents.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by frypod View Post
    I too just got the black 02 Wagon! But a few nights ago, I was just cruising down main when a big Chevy something or other pulled up next to me when we were going about 15 and started revvin it up. I looked over and noticed he had a cab full of girls who he was obviously trying to impress, anyways, i look straight ahead as he starts to speeding up so i let it rip.

You all know the results.
    I hope he didn't get any that night.
    As fun as that is, there are a million ways to get screwed in that situation. What if he floors it and his 35 inch mud tires pull a little to the left and he crushes your poor little subie? And then his car rolls over and crushes him and his cab full of girls. You just got the car, right? So how well do you REALLY know it? You're bound to mess something up eventually, try to do it at 45mph instead of 90mph because it is pretty damn hard to find a black 02 wrx wagon in good condition for a reasonable price these days.

YOU know you would win the race anyways and the girls aren't going to get out of his truck and blow you, no matter how badly you kick his ass. So what can you possibly win?

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    California must have a lot of prison space open. You can grow pot, but if you speed through your neighborhood at double the limit your going to San Quentin.

So three speeding felonies can get you life as a habitual?

I bet this never happens in Orange County (newport or huntington beach) residents.
    You can only grow pot if you have a medical marijuana card, and then you are only allowed to have a few mature plants (number varies by county, I think 6 around the bay area)

As the officer told me when he pulled me over, it's not a mandatory felony for speeding over 100, its up to the discretion of the officer/court.

But wouldn't you agree that someone who is consistently doing over 100 (which I would consider unsafe on just about any public road) probably needs to be put away as a danger to society? And you have to consider that for every time they get caught they have actually done it a dozen or more times. When I was 16 and just got my license I would speed everywhere and do all kinds of dumb stuff. I got away with it for almost three years before I got a ticket.

Oh, and we all know the rules are different when you're rich. that's just a fact of life.

You can only grow pot if you have a medical marijuana card, and then you are only allowed to have a few mature plants (number varies by county, I think 6 around the bay area)

As the officer told me when he pulled me over, it's not a mandatory felony for speeding over 100, its up to the discretion of the officer/court.

But wouldn't you agree that someone who is consistently doing over 100 (which I would consider unsafe on just about any public road) probably needs to be put away as a danger to society? And you have to consider that for every time they get caught they have actually done it a dozen or more times. When I was 16 and just got my license I would speed everywhere and do all kinds of dumb stuff. I got away with it for almost three years before I got a ticket.

Oh, and we all know the rules are different when you're rich. that's just a fact of life.
    Honesty, no... it wouldn't. Have the license revoked sure. That's a privilege anyway. But to be put in jail for speeding (without causing bodily harm) would make me violently revolt. Hence, I still live in a state that recognizes my 2nd amendment right to fight against oppressive governments.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

As fun as that is, there are a million ways to get screwed in that situation. What if he floors it and his 35 inch mud tires pull a little to the left and he crushes your poor little subie? And then his car rolls over and crushes him and his cab full of girls. You just got the car, right? So how well do you REALLY know it? You're bound to mess something up eventually, try to do it at 45mph instead of 90mph because it is pretty damn hard to find a black 02 wrx wagon in good condition for a reasonable price these days.

YOU know you would win the race anyways and the girls aren't going to get out of his truck and blow you, no matter how badly you kick his ass. So what can you possibly win?
    I wasn't going 95...We were rollin at about 15 or 20...I only gassed it up to about 50.

And I did it for the prestige, for the fact that I could. I knew I wasn't being awarded anything materialistic, but I enjoy having a car that can do that now. I'm allowed to feel good about it.
    Noah | Bugeye Mafia #301

02 MBP WRX Wagon "Annabelle"

Quote Originally Posted by 2010BlueWRX265 View Post
    So driving home from work yesterday a Pontiac Sunfire (lol) pulled up beside me and wanted to go. I don't have to tell you the result (obviously) but I could not believe the nerve of the guy. I didn't get a good look at him since his ride was pimped out with full tint, but based on the rate he was shrinking in my rear view mirror I still almost felt sorry for him.

I've only had my car for about a month, and am new to owning a WRX, but I feel hunted in that car. Seems like everybody is out to prove something to me now. I don't mind, it's fun
    i currently drive a sunfire and its sllllow,but it's not meant to go fast.I've done what he's done before,trying to egg someone on to see what they have,but i full well know that i'd get smoked.So i gun it and let off before i break the speedlimit,and watch as the other car pulls away.

Actually happened with an SVX a while back...i punched it and so did he..i let off around 60 and he kept going,right past a cop.

Either way..congrats on the car..looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by schaffer View Post
    i currently drive a sunfire and its sllllow,but it's not meant to go fast.I've done what he's done before,trying to egg someone on to see what they have,but i full well know that i'd get smoked.So i gun it and let off before i break the speedlimit,and watch as the other car pulls away.

Actually happened with an SVX a while back...i punched it and so did he..i let off around 60 and he kept going,right past a cop.

Either way..congrats on the car..looks sweet.
    Thanks. Not judging the people that choose to drive Sunfires, just never thought of them as a car you'd challenge people with. Maybe he wasn't even challenging me, maybe his wife was giving birth in the backseat and he was just trying to get the heck to the hospital and I was in his way.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB1987 View Post
    proving yourself to a sunfire seems like a waste of petrol to me.
    Ya, I agree. Come to think of it, it is a waste of petrol proving myself to most cars. That's not why I bought the car. I just bought it because I like it. It's fun to do once in a while, but at the end of the day it shouldn't matter who is faster, as long as you enjoy your car...unless of course you're at the track, then it matters

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    *shrug* Nobody ever challenges me. Just had the 2nd car in maybe a year and a half plus pull up to me 2 weeks ago.
    Me neither. I don't know why but I just don't get challenged; however, people do gawk. The most notable situation was a WRX (STi?) that blew by me while I was slowing to take a right turn.

I raced a Maxima GLE in my L wagon and almost got us killed. It's stupid for anyone to race on open roadways but even worse when some jackass (like me) tries to race a more expensive sports car with a car on steel rims, soft springs, and worthless brake pads. Best to let the crazies speed off into the sunset alone than flexing the muscles of an obviously faster whip just to show them what's up. Dammit I was an a-hole that time.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

Quote Originally Posted by 2010BlueWRX265 View Post
    Thanks. Not judging the people that choose to drive Sunfires, just never thought of them as a car you'd challenge people with. Maybe he wasn't even challenging me, maybe his wife was giving birth in the backseat and he was just trying to get the heck to the hospital and I was in his way.
    haha...at least i know my j body is slow,although some of them are fast but thats only due to the fact that they have spent an assload to turbo them.

most of the time i just want to see what another car has.i know 90 percent of the modded cars in my area and what they have.i've only seriously raced 2 cars and my buddies suv to shut him up.of course these were on deserted back roads in mexico.

next time a j body attempts to engage you i'd just let him go.97 percent of them will get walked by a wrx of any sorts.

I wish I would have taken a picture of this but the other week at HACC I parked next to a red Sunfire that had black rims(that looked cool, the rims not the car), dual exhaust, and some sort of hood scoop looking thing.....it had other random things too....it looked fast.......I mean....I'm not really dissing on it...it was well put together....ya know....I mean I did once drive a Focus that I did stuff to it...kind of...
    Last edited by lytlec; 11-23-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    I raced a Maxima GLE in my L wagon and almost got us killed. It's stupid for anyone to race on open roadways but even worse when some jackass (like me) tries to race a more expensive sports car with a car on steel rims, soft springs, and worthless brake pads. Best to let the crazies speed off into the sunset alone than flexing the muscles of an obviously faster whip just to show them what's up. Dammit I was an a-hole that time.
    I highly respect this point of view. I have friend who finally got his much anticipated performance-ish car and he has been driving like an idiot. 50 in a 30mph residential area is about the norm for him. I called him out on his complete disregard for the safety of others and got some BS excuse about how he thinks his car can defy basic laws of physics. He needs to learn that with great power comes great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I highly respect this point of view. I have friend who finally got his much anticipated performance-ish car and he has been driving like an idiot. 50 in a 30mph residential area is about the norm for him. I called him out on his complete disregard for the safety of others and got some BS excuse about how he thinks his car can defy basic laws of physics. He needs to learn that with great power comes great responsibility.
    I agree too. Racing should, for the most part, be left at the track. Nothing wrong with a little rev here and there, or a friendly race to the speed limit from a red light...but complete disregard for the safety of yourself and others is just idiotic. I think this thread has put 'proving' myself to a Sunfire into perspective

I think it's the testosterone fueled primative instinct that kicks in when somebody challenges us. Like the caveman who invented a square wheel and spots another caveman with a round wheel. Clearly his square wheel is inferior, but his instinct still tells him to challenge the round wheel and defend his invention. We haven't evolved all that much, imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.