Thoughts: VF43 wrx vs chipped 335i coupe
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thoughts: VF43 wrx vs chipped 335i coupe within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Who would win? I've always wanted to run a stock one. My coworker wants to race me in his chipped ...

Thoughts: VF43 wrx vs chipped 335i coupe

Who would win? I've always wanted to run a stock one.
    My coworker wants to race me in his chipped 335i coupe. Engine's stock except for the piggyback ecu. Has exterior dress-up mods and that's about it. He doesn't know how much power he's making.

As for me, I have a 03 vf43 wrx (complete mods in profile). Don't ask me how much I'm putting to the wheels because I don't know, since I was only road tuned awhile back.

Race will most likely be a roll race (starting in the 50s maybe?) since I don't want to mess up my stock tranny with hard launches.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

335i > VF43 WRX

Well, my previous two cars were brand new BMW 335i's and I had both of them piggyback tuned.

I owned both the PROcede and then the JB3 (which was better and faster).

I know both Shiv at Vishnu and Terry at BMS personally and often dyno tested with them.

A tune only 335i on 91 Octane will put down 340+ rwhp. On 93 and a higher map it will put down 355 rwhp. On 100 Octane and higher map it will put down 365-370 rwhp.
    Then you need intake and exhaust to go to any higher maps and take advantage of even more power.

A tune only 335i on street tires will run
    12.5-12.7 @ 113+ mph on 91 Octane
    12.4-12.6 @ 114+ mph on 93 Octane
    12.3+ @ 115-116 mph on 100 Octane

knock off .2 tenths if DR's are used.

I'll put it to you this way too:

A tune only 335i will creep away from a stock e92 M3 6MT. I beat them by 1.5 CL's from 40-120 mph.
    It will run very close to even with an e92 M3 with DCT
    I ran an e92 M3 6MT that had intake, exhaust, pulley, tune and lowered from 40-125 and from 40-80 we were door to door, then from 80-125 he pulled 1.5 CL's on me. So it took 4 power mods on the M3 to beat my tune only 335i.

Not sure what kind of power you put down in your VF43 WRX, but chances are it's not enough to trap over 113 mph unless you have many other supporting mods. The N54 engine in the 335i/135i is a stout engine and responds to mods with EASE.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    Who would win? I've always wanted to run a stock one.
    My coworker wants to race me in his chipped 335i coupe. Engine's stock except for the piggyback ecu. Has exterior dress-up mods and that's about it. He doesn't know how much power he's making.

As for me, I have a 03 vf43 wrx (complete mods in profile). Don't ask me how much I'm putting to the wheels because I don't know, since I was only road tuned awhile back.

Race will most likely be a roll race (starting in the 50s maybe?) since I don't want to mess up my stock tranny with hard launches.
    I'm sure Driver72 will chime in but the chipped 335i could make at least 350 crank hp (depends on the setting). I don't know much about VF43 but from a roll 335i is very strong with a chip anywhere from 2k+ to 5000rpm. I currently have the JB+ chip and I could tell you it's a totally different beast vs stock 335i.

I've run (before having the JB+ piggyback) an exhausted mod only STi (I can't tell if he has any other mod because the exhaust was so obvious) in my stock 335i on the highway. It wasn't pretty for the STi.

I've seen posts stage 2 STi could easily take the 335i on the highway but then not sure what kind of mod 335i has if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    Well, my previous two cars were brand new BMW 335i's and I had both of them piggyback tuned.

I owned both the PROcede and then the JB3 (which was better and faster).

I know both Shiv at Vishnu and Terry at BMS personally and often dyno tested with them.

A tune only 335i on 91 Octane will put down 340+ rwhp. On 93 and a higher map it will put down 355 rwhp. On 100 Octane and higher map it will put down 365-370 rwhp.
    Then you need intake and exhaust to go to any higher maps and take advantage of even more power.

A tune only 335i on street tires will run
    12.5-12.7 @ 113+ mph on 91 Octane
    12.4-12.6 @ 114+ mph on 93 Octane
    12.3+ @ 115-116 mph on 100 Octane

knock off .2 tenths if DR's are used.

I'll put it to you this way too:

A tune only 335i will creep away from a stock e92 M3 6MT. I beat them by 1.5 CL's from 40-120 mph.
    It will run very close to even with an e92 M3 with DCT
    I ran an e92 M3 6MT that had intake, exhaust, pulley, tune and lowered from 40-125 and from 40-80 we were door to door, then from 80-125 he pulled 1.5 CL's on me. So it took 4 power mods on the M3 to beat my tune only 335i.

Not sure what kind of power you put down in your VF43 WRX, but chances are it's not enough to trap over 113 mph unless you have many other supporting mods. The N54 engine in the 335i/135i is a stout engine and responds to mods with EASE.
    You beat me to it

BTW, what're you driving now? Sorry didn't mean to steal the thread
    Last edited by yass; 10-31-2009 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yass View Post
    You beat me to it

BTW, what're you driving now? Sorry didn't mean to steal the thread
    No worries. LOL

I got a new 09 WRX

I considered
    2010 Audi S4
    2009 AMG C63
    2010 GT500

But I thought it was time to downgrade for a bit.
    The WRX is pretty quick though, but not as fast as my 335i.

I'll be back to a higher powered car in the near future, the WRX is just a toy for a bit.

Sorry to go OT too.
    Last edited by Driver72; 02-07-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Nobody ever thinks of the Legacy when cross shopping
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Actually, before I purchased my 08 Impreza WRX I looked @ the Legacy I believe it was the 2.5GT Spec B model - dealer said that was 35k @ the time in Nov 07' then I looked @ the 2.5GT he said that was only 2k less @ 33k which wasn't affordable to me - so I ended up with my Impreza WRX @ 28k out the door. I'm happy with it, I've got no complaints - thank goodness the VF52 is a direct bolt on for me

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Nobody ever thinks of the Legacy when cross shopping

I guess they can demand markups like that in the northeast. I bought mine (Limited) brand new with 8 miles on the odometer for $28.5k + tax in September 2004. That was just months after the debut of the redesign. Sticker was like 31,900.

I'm up to 18k miles now and it looks like I've probably lost a ring land back when the first turbo blew. Time for a rebuild with all forged goodies -- and all the extra boost that'll go with it. Good thing the Green has some top end headroom left.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

thanks for the input guys.

As for the piggyback ecu, don't know what brand, but from what I asked him, it seems like he may be running off a base map. I don't think he's tuned.

Btw this is in CA so it's 91 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    thanks for the input guys.

As for the piggyback ecu, don't know what brand, but from what I asked him, it seems like he may be running off a base map. I don't think he's tuned.

Btw this is in CA so it's 91 octane.
    there is really no "tuning" with the piggybacks.
    The PROcede allows for "user adjustability" which allows you to up the boost a bit based on how much octane and mods you have, and the JB3 just has a dozen maps that allows you to just go to a higher map based on how much octane and mods you have.

If it's in CA and on 91 Octane he's probably running the recommended map which is #5.
    But many run Map 6 or 7 (basically the same, map 7 just has faster throttle response for those that like that) even though Map 7 is recommended for 93 Octane. No real issues other than some power being pulled will occur on Map 7 with 91 Octane if it's warm (above 90 degrees out, or you are at elevation above 2000 feet).
    But again, Map 5 on 91 Octane all else stock on an auto 335i will yield him trap speeds in the 112 mph range. If he runs Map 7 it would be closer to 113.
    If he runs Map 7 with some 100 Octane mixed in to make 93 Octane he'll be closer to 114 mph.

Give it a go, but unless you have tons of top end in your WRX, you'll lose from a roll (and even from a dig you may jump him 1+ CL's but he'll quickly reel you in and pass). I blasted plenty WRX's and STI's with my tune only 335i. They are really strong in the 40-120 mph rolling run range.
    Last edited by Driver72; 10-31-2009 at 02:59 PM.

I beat a 335xi with a similiar setup (VF43), but the BMW was stock. At least I assumed it was (still had a temp tag on it).

It wasn't to top end either, fwiw. Just from a dig up to 3rd gear and then I stopped when the issue was no longer in doubt.
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-01-2009 at 06:36 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I beat a 335xi with a similiar setup (VF43), but the BMW was stock. At least I assumed it was (still had a temp tag on it).

It wasn't to top end either, fwiw. Just from a dig up to 3rd gear and then I stopped when the issue was no longer in doubt.

That wouldn't surprise me considering you have 315 whp and the BMW was stock and probably still had a pretty green engine. But even without a green engine, the stock 335xi will do a 13.3 @ 103+ 1/4 mile.
    And without a hard drop clutch launch it would be worse. I'm pretty sure you can beat that with 315 whp when stock the 335xi puts down about 265-270 whp.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me considering you have 315 whp and the BMW was stock and probably still had a pretty green engine. But even without a green engine, the stock 335xi will do a 13.3 @ 103+ 1/4 mile.
    And without a hard drop clutch launch it would be worse. I'm pretty sure you can beat that with 315 whp when stock the 335xi puts down about 265-270 whp.
    No doubt. A modded 3 series is a great bargain these days.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

i beat a stock 335xi with my stage 2 06 wrx in the 1/4 mile consistently...i consistently hit 13.5's at 100 mph, and yes, the bmw traps around 104 but is running around 13.6-13.7

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.