2004 STi vs 2006 M3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 STi vs 2006 M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This happened a couple weeks ago, but I figured I'd put it up for the record. I was on the ...

2004 STi vs 2006 M3

This happened a couple weeks ago, but I figured I'd put it up for the record. I was on the I-5 around 11PM in the middle of CA heading to SoCal. For those of you who've never traveled the I-5, it's just a long stretch of 2 lanes (in each direction).

Anyway, I wasn't really looking to race, but I think the guy in the M3 was bored, and was trying to get me to go. As we were getting through traffic, he was directly behind me, and we came to a clearing. I changed lanes to let him pull up to me and then go, but he floored it as soon as I started to change lanes. So he flew past me and then E-flashed me! lol

So after I came up to him again, and this time we were dead even when we started. We were going about 80, I dropped it to 4th and pulled about between 1/2-1 car length off the bat. He closed the distance by the time we were around 125, and pulled maybe 1/2 car length as we closed 140.

I didn't know his specs at the time, but when I came home and looked them up, it totally made sense. I was able to take him in the low end, while he ran me out at the top end.

My previous car peaked at very high rpm, so it was always paramount to shift as close to redline as possible. And, this was my tactic in the STi.

After that race, it felt to me as though I should've been shifting at 6500? When racing like this, where do you all shift?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubSmurfTi
    After that race, it felt to me as though I should've been shifting at 6500? When racing like this, where do you all shift?
    I don't street race, but pay the $80-100 it costs to get your car on a dyno for a printout - that will tell you the optimal shift point.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

if you are stock, it doesn't matter where u shift at, you will lose at higher speeds against an e46.

I've personally beaten many M3's on the highways and byways of "Mexico."

E46 M3's stock are not fast enough to keep up with me.

I am a modded out stock turbo STi protuned and the only close race I've had with an E46 M3 was an M3 with a chip, intake, exhaust, headers, and some other mods and we were pretty dam close at highway speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by STi300whp View Post
    I've personally beaten many M3's on the highways and byways of "Mexico."

E46 M3's stock are not fast enough to keep up with me.

I am a modded out stock turbo STi protuned and the only close race I've had with an E46 M3 was an M3 with a chip, intake, exhaust, headers, and some other mods and we were pretty dam close at highway speeds.
    Sorry up top you should get pulled on by a stock M3. I was neck and neck with stage 2 sti's and would still get pulled a little by E46's up top. Now I just walk them.

Well, I never took any videos... but I can assure you I've beaten many M3's. I even raced a Supercharged Active Autowerke E46 M3 and I was neck a neck with him from 60-120mph. He was in S4 mode.... he didn't have it in S6 mode on his SMG, but I still was right there with him. I was on my race gas tune

Wrinklechops
    Well, I never took any videos... but I can assure you I've beaten many M3's. I even raced a Supercharged Active Autowerke E46 M3 and I was neck a neck with him from 60-120mph. He was in S4 mode.... he didn't have it in S6 mode on his SMG, but I still was right there with him. I was on my race gas tune
    That, I find hard to believe. A supercharged E46 didn't beat up on you past 80 or 100mph?

Maybe the race gas was the key factor. Maybe the M3 should have been on race gas too

I bet you wouldn't mess with a GTO
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I bet you wouldn't mess with a GTO
    or a neon....err wait.... you do the bobcat package your self? or pay to have the cam swap?
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    or a neon....err wait.... you do the bobcat package your self? or pay to have the cam swap?
    Dealer installed and they warranteed the work. The cam was an add-on.

I only said that about the GTO, because I believe STi300whp posts on the LS2GTO forum, as well. He's a good guy...

Sorry for the hijack
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Dealer installed and they warrantied the work. The cam was an add-on.

I only said that about the GTO, because I believe STi300whp posts on the LS2GTO forum, as well. He's a good guy...

Sorry for the hijack
    i'm a member on there as well. hence the question. might get a goat next. err a 06 sti dunno. anyway sorry to go ot.
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    i'm a member on there as well. hence the question. might get a goat next. err a 06 sti dunno. anyway sorry to go ot.
    A supercharged GTO, with Pedders, would be a fun project. M5/M6 killer...

i've got new nx kit with 150 jets begging to go in a ls2
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Sorry man. If you just have bolt on's ie: turboback and a tune you're not walking from an E46 from a roll. Same mods with "race gas" you might pull a little but it would still be a close race. M3 with 300 whp stock absolutely walks an sti with 300 whp from a roll. Those engines are great up top.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Sorry man. If you just have bolt on's ie: turboback and a tune you're not walking from an E46 from a roll. Same mods with "race gas" you might pull a little but it would still be a close race. M3 with 300 whp stock absolutely walks an sti with 300 whp from a roll. Those engines are great up top.
    +1.

E46's have what, 343hp from the factory stock? That's right about 300whp like you said 2.0. Then you add a supercharger? Man, you've got to be kidding me that thing would just fly. Not sure what "generation" supercharger kit that E46 you raced had on? But check this out: Active Autowerke - BMW Performance, M3 Performance Tuner, BMW Supercharger, BMW Turbo, BMW M3 Turbo, BMW M3 Supercharger

Granted, that may be a bit overboard, but that pushes the M3 to 420whp roughly... There is just no way you were walking him on the highway, especially up top.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast